IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Acceptable install quality of clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 08:10 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Kamikaze2b,

Just curious, you went to this installer?

http://www.clearbraoregon.com/page/page/2719989.htm
Old 04-20-06, 08:26 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Kamikaze2b,

Just curious, you went to this installer?

http://www.clearbraoregon.com/page/page/2719989.htm

No, that place is up in Portland and I'm 100 miles south in Eugene.
Old 04-30-06, 12:29 PM
LexAppeal
Rookie

What is the installer supposed to do before applying the clear bra? Especially on a brand new car. Is he supposed to do a thorough washing of the area before application or any other kind of prep work? My installer just sprayed some stuff and wiped it off then applied the clear bra. The car is a few days old.
Old 04-30-06, 12:50 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Heres my take on it. I've had clear bra installed on the last 3 cars I had...

MINI
BMW
Lexus (current) Just got it installed yesterday.

On the MINI It was perfect. I did not have any lint or sand or whatever under the clear bra. Thats what I expect! The installer did a very good job. about 3.5 hours

On the BMW there was lint, sand and dirt in various places. Such a dissappoitment. I picked the worse installer on the most expensive car. and he wasnt even CHEAP! said he did his work for a Porsche Dealer... BLAH! 2.5 hours

On the Lexus I havent been able to locate or see any dirt lint or sand yet. I just got it installed yeterday. the guy took 4 hours to get it done.

I think a few is ok. less than 5 imperfections, otherwise its too much. It is really hard to install and with lint flying around in the air its hard somtimes for it not to float in under the bra right before he puts it on.

It TOTALLY depends on how good the installer is, and how good he is from removing the bra off the sheet and transfering it to the car. If theres an excessive amount take it back... if theres just a few consider living with it. Cuz he'll probably just install it again and leave just the same amount of stuff under the bra... or more!
Old 04-30-06, 06:34 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

I am not sure if mine was considered even worse. There are lints/dirt here and there in the film under the hood, front quarter panels, and the headlights. The only ones which have no problems are the fog lights coz' they are small.

Besides, there are stretch marks in the form of lines and spots. The marks on the headlights are more prominent. Some of the stretch marks on the hood actually coincide with the lint.

It took about 6-7 hours and the guy simply scraped the bumper kit because it attracted too many lint. So my bumper had no wax at all when I was out of the shop. Just added the prep the car's bumper today to add the wax back to it.

What I am pissed of is not just the time being spent but the attitude of the shop. The father of the owner said they have installed many kits and no problems. He bragged that they lost the money on my install. In a way, they blamed the customer for losing money because they have done a lousy job!

In terms of prep work before the install, I actually washed the car, removed the wax off the bumper before going to the shop. They simply re-washed that section again, clayed and used alchohol to make sure there is absolutely nothing on the paint.
Old 04-30-06, 06:45 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Silver should be the hardest colo to see any lint under the film. You can wash and clay bar all day long, but if it's in a dirty air environment, then all that effort is a waste of time. Heck I did my '02 GGP outside myself (with the help of another pair of hands) and it turned out great. I just kept the water hose flowing over the car surface until the point the film made contact. That kept any stray debris away.
Old 05-01-06, 07:24 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Hi TimbolIS,

Totally agree with you.

The main problem with the shop is they do not have a clean air environment from time to time. There is a railway train nearby and in the afternoon when there is a train going by, they open a garage gate in order to receive the light but that's where the air blowing from the railway. I told them it may be an issue but they simply ignored.

(garage gate -- it's a place where you can park 10 cars inside comfortably. I think previously it was a warehouse and the gate is for the truck to unload stuff)
Old 05-01-06, 02:39 PM
Steven L.
Driver School Candidate

Wow,,,,, I cant believe that everyone here has experienced so many problems with your Clear Bra. I guess that I am part of the fortunate few. I started using ClearBra about a year and a half ago on my 05 GS and I just had one installed on my wife's 06 GS 400.. .. I also ,,had my 06 GSXR 1000 protected by the film ,, After reading this forum ,,,it made me go out to the garage and look closely at the installation .. I found that there were not any lint particles or dirt under the film...I can say that I felt better aftre looking at it... I can only imagine what can happen to dirt or any particles that may be tightly compreesed against the paint .....

To make a long story short,I believe this stuff is a great investment to protect the paint,, .... The company that was referred to me by my brother in law was not cheap,,, but my opinion by reading this forum they are far apart from the companies this forum has been using.. Check them out for yourself...

ClearBra Inc. 1-888-3-ClearBra www.ClearBra.us
Old 05-01-06, 07:25 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Steven L,

Lucky you. So this is an example of a good clear bra installation. I also have the same thinking about what happen to the lint and dirt trapped under the clear bra. Mine is still on as I have been waiting for a full kit to be shipped to me from Ebay (in addition to the hood/light kits that were re-ordered by the shop, I should have some spare films to practice as I intend to do it by myself, if I indeed could not find another reputable installer of VentureShield in my area)

In my opinion, anything trapped under the clear bra means leaving some room for more problems down the road as there are some unwanted air trapped under the clear bra. So this is not just for perfection but for the long-term durablity. Correct me if I am wrong, anyone who is a clear bra expert...
Old 05-01-06, 08:04 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Oh so far I've found 2 sanf particles under my clearbra... on the bumper. about the size of a grain of sand...