IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First "FREE" Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 01:55 PM
exalbino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First "FREE" Maintenance

Did anyone get the first free maintenance? I got mine last saturday and they charged me approx. $92 for a brake inspection (including cleaning and lubrication) and tire balancing. Do you think this is really necessary for the first 5K maintenance?

Basically, my first "free maintenance" only included oil and filter change.
Old 04-17-06, 02:05 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by exalbino
Did anyone get the first free maintenance? I got mine last saturday and they charged me approx. $92 for a brake inspection (including cleaning and lubrication) and tire balancing. Do you think this is really necessary for the first 5K maintenance?

I had mine done 2 weeks ago, and they charged me zero for the oil change, and I paid $80 to have my 4 winter tires removed and summer tires put back on.
Old 04-17-06, 03:33 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dkaplan435
...I paid $80 to have my 4 winter tires removed and summer tires put back on.
Is this for un-mounting the winters from the wheels and re-mounting and balancing the summers? I have been hearing horror stories of $80 Lexus oil changes and such, but $20 a wheel for dis-mounting, mounting and balancing isn't too bad. If, however, it is for simply switching your winter tires and wheels with a second set of summer tires and wheels that is very steep...
Old 04-17-06, 03:54 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think your first free maintenance wasn't free. What it cost them to do the oil and filter change they recouped through totally unnecessary brake inspection and tire balancing. I'd tell them where to stick their $92 and see if they can retrieve it with a tire wrench.
Old 04-17-06, 04:20 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the first free maintenance, the inspection and service schedule is no secret. You should know this before you get the work done, long in advance. So you're probably on some other schedule since most of us are on the standard first free with free being $0.00 when you leave the facilities.

Mounting and dismounting might be as high as $20 per tire and that doesn't include the balancing, etc. If some TPMS work had to be done, that might have added to it also.
Old 04-17-06, 07:03 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

heck that is why i have summer set of rimsand tires and a winter set of rims and tires and a floor jack impac wrench and a torque wrench. but is a little complated with my air setup. you have to lift the car then put the jack under the car and rase the jack then lower the car then jack the car now you rotate tires then you lower the jack then rase car then lower jack and after all that you have to torque the lugs to 110 foot pounds. and that is just 1 side
Old 04-17-06, 07:24 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by slowandlow
heck that is why i have summer set of rimsand tires and a winter set of rims and tires and a floor jack impac wrench and a torque wrench. but is a little complated with my air setup. you have to lift the car then put the jack under the car and rase the jack then lower the car then jack the car now you rotate tires then you lower the jack then rase car then lower jack and after all that you have to torque the lugs to 110 foot pounds. and that is just 1 side

who da what?
Old 04-17-06, 07:26 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

I'd talk to the service manager about that. Absolutely NO reason to rebalance your tires after 5K miles. And lubricate the brakes??? come on. Call and complain. Tell them that if that's the caliber of service you can expect and how you're going to be treated then they won't mind you taking your car elsewhere to be serviced.
Old 04-17-06, 07:27 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

actually, its about 86 ft lbs... not 110.