IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bad Glass!! Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-06, 01:18 AM
JasonC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Glass!! Anyone else?

I just brought my IS over to the dealer because I noticed a scratch on the glass. The service writer told me that it is not covered under warranty as it is part of wear and tear. He also went and said that something coulda gotten caught in the molding when I rolled the windows up and down. This is ridiculous! They won't cover it for that reason. Anyone else had something like this happen before? If so, please share your experience. I need to know if this is normal. tia
Old 04-16-06, 02:20 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have a scratch on my windshield but I sure have a lot of tiny stone chips. WEAK GLASS. HATE IT.
Old 04-16-06, 08:54 AM
JasonC
Pole Position

It's actually on my driver's side door. It's really disconcerning. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 04-16-06, 09:01 AM
x986
Rookie

Hartawan-
My Lex is too new, but my last two cars were German, and I thought it was a German thing to have glass that pitted so easily. Maybe glass is like the new envionmentally correct paint.
Old 04-16-06, 09:39 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually problems with the windshield are covered by your insurance?
Old 04-16-06, 09:40 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonC
I just brought my IS over to the dealer because I noticed a scratch on the glass. The service writer told me that it is not covered under warranty as it is part of wear and tear. He also went and said that something coulda gotten caught in the molding when I rolled the windows up and down. This is ridiculous! They won't cover it for that reason. Anyone else had something like this happen before? If so, please share your experience. I need to know if this is normal. tia
You didn't post your location, but if you live in a cold climate, it's also possible that you scratched the window with an ice scraper.
Old 04-16-06, 10:33 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

The day after I got my car, I noticed a 2" scratch on my driver's side window. So I took it back to the dealership and showed it to my salesman, and apparently it was just some glue from the prep that was left over. He took a razor blade and it came right off. Might be the same thing with you.
Old 04-16-06, 11:09 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
You didn't post your location, but if you live in a cold climate, it's also possible that you scratched the window with an ice scraper.
Very possible, as I've done this before
Old 04-16-06, 11:18 AM
knox_sport
Driver

why oh why do we always cry foul or "defective" and never assume it's dumb luck or our own fault?
Old 04-16-06, 11:51 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by knox_sport
why oh why do we always cry foul or "defective" and never assume it's dumb luck or our own fault?
Because we're American's in the 21st century. Didn't you get the memo? No one claims responsibility for anything anymore.
Old 04-16-06, 02:12 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

That's why we have lawyers...
Old 04-16-06, 02:17 PM
elghs
Driver School Candidate

Actually brought my IS into the dealer. Noticed smudges and scratches in the driver side window and rear passenger window. They actually said the defect was in the glass and had to special order the window. Took a week to get it done. Then of course when I went to pick it up they neglected to fix the driver side tint. It should be covered under your warranty IMO.
Old 04-16-06, 09:50 PM
hguy4x
Driver

Sam from premier mobile told me when I picked up my car from tint/clear bra that the molding with newer cars are really tight and that you should clean them every so often. If something gets caught down there (like sand or something) it'll scrape you window.
Old 04-17-06, 07:26 AM
teracon
Driver

I had both my rear windows replaced "under warranty" from Lexus. I had the car for (3) months when I attempted to get the windows tinted, I was informed of (2) scratches on each side of the rear windows. It was right at the top corner of the window.

I did have to put up a fight with the SA an the SD (Service Director).
Old 04-17-06, 07:37 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I sold my GS400 I finally had the windshield replaced because of a large crack that formed from a couple of moderate rock chips. No surprise there - that's what happens with rock chips, no matter what 'brand' of glass you have. But what I was always unhappy with was the seeminly hundreds if not thousands of tiny little 'pits' that had formed in the OEM glass over time. You could see then from outside the windshield especially, but if the sun was hitting just right you could even see them from the inside and it looked like it was dirty, but in reality it wasn't. I tried glass polish, filler, just about everything. When the new windshield went in it look MUCH better.

Anyhow... I never had any problems with the side windows, though.

Quick Reply: Bad Glass!! Anyone else?