IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson Audio Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-06, 12:34 PM
Langdell
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have noted, the ML difference goes beyond an extra speaker. ML does give you extra features, notably (with Nav) the ability to play DVD-Video and DVD-Audio. (Actually, I'm not sure of any other "extras," but DVD-A gives you the option of a higher-resolution audio source than any other you can get in a car, so I consider that a big plus all by itself.)

Beyond all that, you get a higher quality amp, DAC, signal path, etc. that leads to higher quality sound. Plus the fact that the ML system is supposed to have been designed with the unique acoustic qualities of the IS cabin in mind. Audiophiles will tell you, sound quality involves more than just the number of speakers and wattage rating of an amp. To some extent at least, you get what you pay for in audio.

I had only a very limited listen to the IS stock system, so I can't make a real comparison. But I find the ML system very satisfying--certainly the best car audio system I have listened to for any length of time. (Mind you, I don't claim to have much experience with high-end, custom car audio. But I was not interested in the hassle of getting a custom job installed, so I just wanted the best OEM system available.) The Lexus stock system is probably much better than the vast majority of stock car audio and probably bests "premium" systems from some other manufacturers, but I would be surprised if ML was not noticeably better. I say get ML unless either (a) you are not very picky about sound quality or the ability to play DVD's or (b) you are inclined to get a custom system installed.
Old 04-17-06, 01:51 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by DaSweetgrl
No, I havent heard both systems yet... but if the ML system has problems with speakers blowing, I think maybe I should get the stock system, then upgrade later with an Alpine or Eclipse NAV system... maybe a pair of JL 12" W7's ; save the money for the good stuff

Lorna
This is exactly what i plan on doing.

But if your going to do this, go all the way, either way.

Either get the ML/Nav/DVD system (built in) and dont plan on upgrading your system (besides the speakers/amp)!

Or get the stock system (non Nav) and build the system from scratch. You already have the pre-built (13) speaker holes to fill with some nice after market speakers.

BTW: all you need is a 10'' JL w7 ( I have one, and it will rattle the ***** out of your trunk)...
not like I like rattle, but you get my point!!!!!
Old 04-17-06, 04:39 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSweetgrl
Can anyone say whether the ML system is worth the extra $$$... or should I just get stock and go aftermarket?

Lorna
Worth every penny. The problem with aftermarket is getting it all to work in an integrated manner, ie, steering wheel, bluetooth, etc..