IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS350 news!! & Lexus issues...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-06, 08:15 PM
Pwyll
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 IS350 news!! & Lexus issues...Help!

Hello from a newbie!

As a current G35 owner, I was invited to attend the NY Auto Show yesterday for the unveiling of the 2007 G35. Unbelievable car!...(that's not why I'm posting though). I'll leave that alone

My second stop at the show was the LEXUS floor.

First, after discussing a few things about the IS350 with a representative from Lexus, I was told one known change for the [B]2007 IS350 is FINALLY, a control switch to disable the "Vehicle Dynamic Control" . I knew some of you guys out there had complaints about Lexus keeping the car too safe and locking out this feature, so I was sure you'd like to hear that!

Okay, now my issue with Lexus.

I like the IS and drove it several times (both models). The car, though small, is very nice. My problems aren't with the car so much, but with LEXUS. Maybe you guys can help. These are my issues with LEXUS regarding this car.

1. There are hardly any cars on the lots - at least here in NY, and it's not from overwhelming
sales. I had to wait 4 weeks to see a car with the NAV and NEVER got to see/drive a
350sport.
The manager of one dealership told me the 6-week allocation of cars for the northeast
region was 26 vehicles. His comment: "That equals 1/2 a car per dealership". Folks, that
includes ALL IS models 250/AWD & 350's! How many 350's with sport and nav in there?
2. I was told the "Mark Levinson" system is not yet available and may not be, because the
folks at Lexus think the basic system with 11 speakers in a small car is sufficient. In my
opinion, it's not a very good "base" system for a 40+K car.
3. One salesman told me there is no such color as "Mica Frost". It took a while to prove him
wrong. Another dealer told me "mica frost", "breakwater blue", and the dark blue color have
already been discontinued. I was told by the rep. at the auto show ...chuckle.."not true."
4. When I bought my Infiniti sport package (which came with summer performance tires), they
easily, without question, changed the tires to all season v-rated tires. The Lexus folks
wouldn't even consider it. The answer simply, "no, you would just have to buy snow tires."

There were other issues but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I get frustrated just thinking how a company like this can let business slip right out of their hands so easily because of simple things like this.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND, I AM NOT HERE TO BASH THE CAR! I LIKE IT FOR ALOT OF REASONS and would consider buying it (though still torn about waiting for the new G). I respect all the forums and have friends amongst many of them. I am just reaching out to see if any of you have experienced these or similar problems and to hear what you were told and how these issues were addressed / resolved.

I would greatly appreciate any information you guys can give me! This seems like a really friendly forum!

Many thanks.

Bob
Old 04-15-06, 08:27 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Just wait for the 2007 IS. Lexus will most likely boost production of the 2IS for MY 2007. Also, you can test drive the 2007 IS and the 2007 G35 at that time and see which vehicle you like more. Word of advice, most dealers are full of it so take what they say very lightly.
Old 04-15-06, 08:53 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, keep in mind many salesmen may be trying to push what they have... or what they know is going to be coming in soon. Have you ever considered doing a special order?
Old 04-15-06, 08:54 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pwyll - what dealers did you go to in NY? i'm in ny also..long island
Old 04-15-06, 08:54 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

PS- Welcome to Club Lexus!

And on a sidenote... since ur probably more familiar with the Infiniti 411 than me... I thought the next G was going to be a G37?? Are they carrying over the VQ35?
Old 04-15-06, 09:16 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
PS- Welcome to Club Lexus!

And on a sidenote... since ur probably more familiar with the Infiniti 411 than me... I thought the next G was going to be a G37?? Are they carrying over the VQ35?
Yes, fourth generation VQ.
Old 04-15-06, 09:20 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Points 1, 2 and 3 aren't really news. They have pretty much been the norm since day 1.
Old 04-15-06, 09:22 PM
Pwyll
Driver

I was told by the regional rep at the show the only way to get "my car" would be to special order it. Yet I see photos of "my car" on this board. How did these folks get it?

The problem I see is that Lexus "regional-izes" allocations. That is so rediculous. Are folks in colder climates not supposed to drive sports cars?

Very disappointing. As far as the G. the 07 is not a 3.7 litre. It is a re-worked VQ engine. approximately 310/315 HP. It's gorgeous. Initially, the photos didn't wow me, but in-person...unbelievable.
Old 04-15-06, 09:24 PM
Pwyll
Driver

CatThaFeR:

Email me. pwyll49682@aol.com I'll talk to you about my LI experiences.
Old 04-15-06, 09:28 PM
Pwyll
Driver

TimbolS

So what you're trying to say is that it's pretty universal that the Lexus salesmen don't know their product?
Old 04-15-06, 09:30 PM
Pwyll
Driver

Sorry for all the individual IM's....

As far as special orders, I was told there would be no consideration of a discount of any kind.
Old 04-15-06, 09:30 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the salesman was feeding you some B.S. The new IS has been out only a few months, and is still in high demand. Shop around at some different dealerships if you're really interested in the car. Personally I'm hoping that a coupe version will come out
Old 04-15-06, 09:33 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Answers:

1. Not sure what the deal is up there NY, but here in the DC/MD/VA area they have cars on the lots. Though not a lot of IS350s.

2. They have not been shipping a lot of cars with ML to the dealerships. You CAN find them, but it is a bit hard. Most of the people here that have ML, including myself, special ordered the car.

3. Bull****. No colors are discontinued as of right now. There is a rumor they might be dropping the sage color but as of right now every color is still available. They are just trying to sell what they have on the lot.

4. This is probably a dealer specific thing. I bet my dealer, if I wanted to, would but all seasons on my IS350 sport if I requested it....

You need to go to a better dealership(s). I had a FANTASTIC experience at my Lexus dealership. Do a search here for recommended dealerships in NY.
Old 04-15-06, 09:34 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

what exactly was your problem with lexus, Pwyll? I am just here to help. I dont really see any real problem. ML is avaliable. my guess is you need to find a real helpful knowledgeable sale person. I think that will solve the problem.

Hope that helps and Welcome to CL. I am enjoying my IS350 so much and i hope you will too!
Old 04-15-06, 09:35 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pwyll
Sorry for all the individual IM's....

As far as special orders, I was told there would be no consideration of a discount of any kind.

I got $2k off on my Smokey Granite Mica IS350 Sport with Nav, ML, and Park Assist and I special ordered the car.

Quick Reply: 2007 IS350 news!! & Lexus issues...Help!