IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cost of XM Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 07:54 PM
jjsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of XM Install

My dealer wants $950 to install XM. I've seen other discussions of dealers asking for $600 or $800. What's the going rate for the XM install?

I've considered buying the kit, but I'm not sure I want to get into installing myself.
Old 04-03-06, 09:21 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine was installed free and cost nothing because I told them it would clinch the deal and they accepted.
Old 04-04-06, 08:27 AM
Goldglv
Driver

Originally Posted by jjsmith
My dealer wants $950 to install XM. I've seen other discussions of dealers asking for $600 or $800. What's the going rate for the XM install?

I've considered buying the kit, but I'm not sure I want to get into installing myself.
You should really try and install it yourself, a bunch of us on here did that to save some money and everyone agreed it's not that difficult at all. Even if you normally don't install anything like this on your own, don't worry about it. It's not like you have to cut any wires or anything like that.

If you have any questions, let me know, I just recently installed my XM Radio so I can help you out if you're not sure about something.
Old 04-04-06, 08:31 AM
Jhoo
Rookie

Im with goldglv, do it yourself. I took the time with his advice and everything works perfectly and my pocketbook is still thanking me. Order the parts and follow the 13page step by step directions and you will be dancing!
Old 04-04-06, 10:50 AM
jjsmith
Driver School Candidate

I read the instructions for the kit. At the very end, there is mention of a "re-initialization process" which should be completed after the the battery cable is restored. What does this involve?
Old 04-04-06, 11:10 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by digital_b
mine was installed free and cost nothing because I told them it would clinch the deal and they accepted.
Same here...but if I did had to pay for it, I'd def. install it myself. Looks pretty easy.
Old 04-04-06, 12:45 PM
Jhoo
Rookie

I believe the reinitilization process refers settings that you have made for your car. This must be done any time your battery dies or you disconnect the battery. The only issue I had was resetting the clock and adjusting my personal nav settings. I also had to reprogram my seat memory. I believe that is what they are referring to.
Old 04-04-06, 02:28 PM
darrelld
Driver

I paid $750 for a dealer XM install. They did the installation before I took delivery.
Old 04-04-06, 07:49 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

I wonder though if Lexus will use the shark fin ant.! They look nice
Old 04-04-06, 08:40 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well its obious that lexus isnt useing the shark fin. But i dont see why people are doing the install them self? I personally will do that when i add sirius.
Old 04-05-06, 06:46 AM
Lenscap
Driver

Originally Posted by Sv.Tequila
I wonder though if Lexus will use the shark fin ant.! They look nice
When Lexus starts putting in XM radio from the factory there will have to be some type of fixed external antenna. I would guess this would be the sharkfin. Note the 2007 LS for the U.S. market has the sharkfin. The big question is when will XM come from the factory for the IS. Lexus will start with factory-installed XM this fall, but whether or not that includes the IS remains to be seen. I agree, the sharkfin needs to be added ASAP.
Old 04-09-06, 09:06 AM
danis
Rookie

Default Xm

Picked up on 4/4 with XM apparently factory installed, at least it was on the invoice. No fin just a small black antenna on the trunk.

Invoice:

XM Satellite Radio Kit 486
Old 04-09-06, 02:31 PM
Flyboy71
Driver School Candidate

I ordered my car with xm radio and they installed it at the port for $486.
Old 04-20-06, 01:41 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you all enjoying your sat radio? Had any of you heard whether or when Sirius will be available? Also, do you get any months free, what's the average fee/ month for the subscription?
Old 04-20-06, 04:10 PM
jjsmith
Driver School Candidate

I installed XM one night this week. I bought the it from Sewell Lexus and it took about 2 hours to install. It was pretty easy to install and works great. The vast majority of the work is removing and reinstalling the trunk trim. I put the antenna on the trunk per the instructions.

I didn't get any free time because I already had XM and just added the IS250 to my existing acct.

Quick Reply: Cost of XM Install