IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Does it happen to you ?
Yes
51.76%
No
48.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Do people challenge you to race ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 08:47 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
so far.. here is my is350 hit list of wins / losses:

wins against : lotus elise (from stop), wrx sti (from roll), m3 smg (from stop & roll), lancer evo (from stop), srt-4 (from roll)
losses against: m3 manual (from roll)

several other m3s and evos are calling me out for this weekend. it must be the weather.
I doubt the Sti and Evo were expecting a drag... Becasue if they were driven by anyone half able, it would not be a win.

You should have been able to tell becasue off the line, they would spank you silly and you may actually start doing some catch up as you speed up.

Last edited by y2ks2k; 03-23-06 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-23-06, 10:19 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Cool

I have only had one race and no other challenges.

I wish I had more people taunt me but I never get any challengers. I used to get them daily in my S2000.
Old 03-24-06, 06:19 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
so far.. here is my is350 hit list of wins / losses:

wins against : lotus elise (from stop), wrx sti (from roll), m3 smg (from stop & roll), lancer evo (from stop), srt-4 (from roll)
losses against: m3 manual (from roll)

several other m3s and evos are calling me out for this weekend. it must be the weather.
Yeh, agreed that an STI and Evo would have spanked the 350 if they knew what was coming. I would even throw in the lotus unless 2 large guys were in it and didn't want to get the Rpm's up for the launch to 60.
Old 03-24-06, 06:52 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

People don't really race me. I've messed around with a few cars when traffic was light (a 5-series, a TL), but nothing that was racing. Also some idiot highschool kids passed me on the highway and cut me off... I think they were trying to annoy me so I would blow them away. I didn't take the bait though. Until they get a car better than a '95 Camry, I'm not too interested.
Old 03-24-06, 08:01 AM
Aterrex
Driver

Until they get a car better than a '95 Camry, I'm not too interested.
qft

Is it just me or do alot of people in busted up old civics or chevy impalas try to haul on the interstate?
Old 03-24-06, 09:34 AM
Jimmer350
Driver

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
A lot of people seem to just want to annoy me, check out the car, and WANT me to smoke them, probably just to see if the car really is as fast as they've heard. Mostly people that know they don't stand a chance. I generally won't take the bait though. It's kinda like carrying a loaded gun i guess, you have it, but you don't have to use it, and most of the time, you shouldn't. If I pull up to a turbo porshe or M3 or something like that, usually i have the respect for them to know that they can take me, so i will let them pass without acting like an idiot...
I fully agree with this. I get people pulling up beside me and just sitting there speeding up, slowing down with me all the time. I too think they want to see if the car really is "that" fast...
Old 03-24-06, 09:40 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally Posted by Foxberry
I always seem to encounter this guy in a 05 or 06 silver TL on my way home from work. He def. has a MT and gives me a great run for my $$$$!

A TL really has virtually no chance against an IS350.
Old 03-24-06, 10:01 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aterrex
qft

Is it just me or do alot of people in busted up old civics or chevy impalas try to haul on the interstate?
I see this all the time. It's pretty rare for someone barreling down the passing lane to be driving a sports or sporty car. Usually some dude with a Chevy Cavalier, engine straining to pass 90 in top gear. Maybe they are going at top speed, lol. "I maxxed out my Cavalier on the highway today. You should have seen it, it was awesome."
Old 03-24-06, 11:21 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

I had a civic si hatch back roll up to me next to me on the freeway and take of, I laugh and when he got about 6 car lentghs ahead I gunned it and zoomed pass him as if he was standing still. I had a nissan sentra come up from behind really fast and pull up next to me only to give me a I get a lot more of those types of looks.
Old 03-24-06, 11:35 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
A TL really has virtually no chance against an IS350.
Don't be so sure of that, man. Those 6 speeds may catch you by surprise in a straight line. Had it happen to me twice before intake was installed

Through the corners it's no comparison though.
Old 03-24-06, 11:40 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by r6z9r
I had a civic si hatch back roll up to me next to me on the freeway and take of, I laugh and when he got about 6 car lentghs ahead I gunned it and zoomed pass him as if he was standing still. I had a nissan sentra come up from behind really fast and pull up next to me only to give me a I get a lot more of those types of looks.
I hear ya - in the M5, I get more than anything. Have had a few sportbikes want to race, but the cars just get close to see it.

Except for one kid in his Celica GT with dual exhausts-he actually tried!!!
Old 03-24-06, 02:20 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

So I had a old beat-up BMW 318 come up to me today..... We were going about 25-30 about to get on the interstate and he kept speeding up and slowing down right next to me starring at me!!! I had all of my windows down, I just looked at him and smiled.... That wasn't even worth my gas. But a little later on the same trip home, a audi A4 and a V6 mustang were hauling @$$ on the interstate, So I floored it and flew past them both.
Old 03-24-06, 03:04 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

all my races were staged and most of them were people i knew. went at it more than once against the majority of them. i wasn't expecting to win in many of those races.. it just so happen that the other driver probably isn't the best driver, but they are definitely above average. so from my experiences, it just takes one small mistake on the competitor's end (such as misshift/traction issues/extra weight) in order for a very decent is350 driver to match or win.
Old 03-24-06, 04:43 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

not very often.. but when they do I make them look silly. Gettin smoked by an Odyssey.

In my wife's car I've only been lucky to get challenged 4 times. BWM645Convertible - was surprisingly slow, I thought I was gonna get smoked but lit him up pretty good. 2004 Saab 9-5, slow as hell. BMW 530 - felt bad because the dude was racing with his kid...his kid had to see how slow his dad's car really was. and MB SLK32 AMG - good thing there was a cop behind me, I woulda gotten smoked (the other guy saw the cop after taking off, he slowed down). Ohh.. I forgot about the track - I got smoked 3 times in a row by my buddy in his WRX-wagon. (fully built sti motor w/ a big *** turbo).

But ya, usually I role my Odyssey as my daily driver. I take apart many Toyota Sienna racer moms, various SUVs, and occassionaly the slow *** car driver (men and women alike).
Old 03-24-06, 05:09 PM
Aterrex
Driver

I can see who is the dominating factor in that relationsip ^^^. LOL

Quick Reply: Do people challenge you to race ?