IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rant about tip mode on the 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 06:18 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rant about tip mode on the 350

Ok, I HATE that you cant upshift on command. The shifts are quick, yes, but the fact that it holds gear under hard acceleration even when you have selected a higher gear is the suck. Someone needs to come out with a chip or recode for this. </rant>
Old 03-21-06, 06:28 PM
lcarr
Rookie

It is not perfect. I blew mine into the rev limiter a couple of times because it didn't shift when I told it too. I guess I'll have to learn because I don't think this would be as easy as a chip change......... Too much integration to get it that easy.
Old 03-21-06, 08:15 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

I agree....its a pain! I test drove the new Audi A3 and when you shift, it shifts with NO lag......very nice!
Old 03-21-06, 08:54 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

^^ Hell yeh.. nothing compares to audi's DSG..
Old 03-21-06, 08:55 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I'm so used to it by now, don't even think about it. Maybe this will get tweaked in a future IS?
Old 03-21-06, 09:00 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

try shifting 400 rpms before redline.
Old 03-21-06, 10:45 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy
Ok, I HATE that you cant upshift on command. The shifts are quick, yes, but the fact that it holds gear under hard acceleration even when you have selected a higher gear is the suck. Someone needs to come out with a chip or recode for this. </rant>
I am with you, damn I want a manual so bad.
Old 03-21-06, 11:05 PM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually it's fun to use around the twisties. Yes there is some lag, but after practice you'll start shifting 1/2second earlier before redline. I used to be lazy bastard and floor the hell out of it granted I was on ECT Power mode, but now the weather is clearing up and the roads are dry enough to do some fun driving.
Old 03-22-06, 12:50 AM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSE25
^^ Hell yeh.. nothing compares to audi's DSG..
yeah, especially not automatic transmissions like what comes in the IS.
Old 03-22-06, 12:03 PM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>Hell yeah.. nothing compares to audi's DSG..

Go drive a new Jag XKR/XJR!
They shift faster than any human ever could!
Old 03-22-06, 12:44 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Originally Posted by stangd1909
I agree....its a pain! I test drove the new Audi A3 and when you shift, it shifts with NO lag......very nice!
Drive any BMW...same way.
Old 03-22-06, 01:15 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy

You don't need to go to the trouble of a chip or a recode; all you do is ease off the gas slightly as you upshift, this will stop it holding the lower gear and change up. The auto box assumes that if you are accelerating hard you want to keep increasing your speed as quickly as possible and therefore it maintains a lower gear for as long as possible. It's not logical to stamp on the accelerator, change up manually and then keep the pedal pressed down hard.
Old 03-22-06, 01:50 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSE25
try shifting 400 rpms before redline.
Originally Posted by Big Andy
You don't need to go to the trouble of a chip or a recode; all you do is ease off the gas slightly as you upshift, this will stop it holding the lower gear and change up. The auto box assumes that if you are accelerating hard you want to keep increasing your speed as quickly as possible and therefore it maintains a lower gear for as long as possible. It's not logical to stamp on the accelerator, change up manually and then keep the pedal pressed down hard.
do those two and drive like you would if you had a manual and you'll be fine. team lex is going to use the stock system so i'm sure it will be managable for us folk

seriously why would you punch it keep the throttle down and downshift?

Last edited by uschardcor; 03-22-06 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-22-06, 03:00 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

The IS shift about the same as my 03 330i did in Tiptronic mode. I was not all that impressed with either. Learning to shift it early is kinda like watching a TV show when the sound is a second off; you get used to it, but it's annoying.......

I'd love to have the manual on weekends, but around town and traffic driving makes up the majority of my driving, so I'd still end up with a auto.
Old 03-22-06, 07:10 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

The differences between SMG/DSG/Lexus version is that 2 of those are manual transmissions with an automatic shifter attached vs an auto with a "gear hold" option.

The SMG/DSG are, or at least I've read, manual transmission that have an automatic mode. That's why you need to drive it like a true standard transmission car to have it shift "smoothly".

The Lexus version (all of the selectable gear trans) is an automatic transmission outfitted with a program to select/hold gears (to a certain extent). In the end, it will still act as an automatic because it was designed to be that way.

In the end, the Lexus version will be smoother than a manual + auto gear change, but it was intended that way. Luxury with a touch of sport (Lexus) vs Sport with a touch of Luxury (IMO, BMW/Audi)

But I drove the A6 a few weeks ago... wow.

Quick Reply: Rant about tip mode on the 350