Issue When Filling Up The Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 12:14 AM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue When Filling Up The Gas Tank

Hi All,

2 or 3 times now I've noticed that while I'm filling up my IS350 the gas nozzle stops before the tank is actually full. This happened at different gas tanks. Does anyone else have this problem?

TJ
Old 03-20-06, 02:06 AM
krookid
Driver

I used to have that problem in my G35 coupe and it seriously pissed me off so I hope this is an isolated incident
Old 03-20-06, 04:25 AM
ChrisM910
Driver

Originally Posted by teejnut
Hi All,

2 or 3 times now I've noticed that while I'm filling up my IS350 the gas nozzle stops before the tank is actually full. This happened at different gas tanks. Does anyone else have this problem?

TJ
what do you mean before it was full like ti would be three quarters and it would stop,
Old 03-20-06, 04:49 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Take the pump nozzle and pull it back outwards one notch, it should fix the problem because this has happened to me before as well, but that corrected it.
Old 03-20-06, 06:33 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Actually happened to me last time I filled up... the attendant looked at me as if I touched something that I shouldn't have... Didn't think much of it...
Old 03-20-06, 07:02 AM
dmacneill
Rookie

For what it is worth, here is information I copied from the EPA's website about filling gas tanks to the brim:

Don't Top Off Your Gas Tank!
HELP PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT!
SAVE MONEY!

* When the gas pump nozzle clicks off automatically, do you add a little more gas to round off your dollar sale?

* Topping off your gas tank is bad for the environment and your wallet.

Here's why:

Topping off the gas tank can result in your paying for gasoline that is fed back into the station's tanks because your gas tank is full. The gas nozzle automatically clicks off when your gas tank is full. In areas of ozone nonattainment, gas station pumps are equipped with vapor recovery systems that feed back gas vapors into their tanks to prevent vapors from escaping into the air and contributing to air pollution. Any additional gas you try to pump into your tank may be drawn into the vapor line and fed back into the station’s storage tanks.

Gasoline vapors are harmful to breathe. Gasoline vapors contribute to bad ozone days and are a source of toxic air pollutants such as benzene. Evaporation from the spillage of gas from overfilling can occur, contributing to the air pollution problem. Remember you pay for the gas that evaporates or is spilled on the ground.

You need extra room in your gas tank to allow the gasoline to expand. If you top off your tank, the extra gas may evaporate into your vehicle’s vapor collection system. That system may become fouled and will not work properly causing your vehicle to run poorly and have high gas emissions.

Topping off your gas tank may foul the station's vapor recovery system. Adding more gas after the nozzle has automatically shut off can cause the station's vapor recovery system to operate improperly. This contributes to the air pollution problem and may cause the gas pump to fail to work for the next person.
Old 03-20-06, 07:17 AM
tdog09
Driver

Originally Posted by dmacneill
For what it is worth, here is information I copied from the EPA's website about filling gas tanks to the brim:

Don't Top Off Your Gas Tank!
HELP PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT!
SAVE MONEY!

* When the gas pump nozzle clicks off automatically, do you add a little more gas to round off your dollar sale?

* Topping off your gas tank is bad for the environment and your wallet.

Here's why:
Good research, there's something i didnt know.
Old 03-20-06, 07:24 AM
L-Tuner
Driver School Candidate

That is very interesting to know. I will keep that in mind the next time I fill up.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-06, 07:51 AM
BobsGX
Racer

I don't believe the part about some of the gas goes back into the gas station tanks. After the pump shuts off on my GX, I can still put another 1.5 gallons into the tank with no problem. If I don't do that, then the fuel gauge comes off the full mark real fast. So that proves that the extra 1.5 gallons goes into my tank.
Old 03-20-06, 08:20 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who tops off their gas tank anyway? The extra doesn't really help you. When the pump stops, you should remove it immediately, no matter where it stops. It amazes me how people try to squeeze in extra gasoline or round the $$$ purchase. Saving a trip or two or three to the service station per year is not worth gasoline spilling out onto the paint.

Of course if the pump stops at 3/4, you should remedy that....
Old 03-20-06, 10:35 AM
deuce2
Rookie

no need to round off when you use your credit/debit card...remember jerry seinfeld in the american express commericals...lol.
Old 03-20-06, 12:04 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
Who tops off their gas tank anyway? The extra doesn't really help you. When the pump stops, you should remove it immediately, no matter where it stops. It amazes me how people try to squeeze in extra gasoline or round the $$$ purchase. Saving a trip or two or three to the service station per year is not worth gasoline spilling out onto the paint.

Of course if the pump stops at 3/4, you should remedy that....
Originally Posted by deuce2
no need to round off when you use your credit/debit card...remember jerry seinfeld in the american express commericals...lol.

I always top off to have the same value for the cents. My wife was involved in a scam once where the gas station attendant would steal someone's credit card number and charge their credit card every week or two for an "average" amount of gasoline, then steal that amount of money from the register. That way the business books would balance. The way we knew is that this station was on the other side of town and was the only time we had been there. When she questioned her bill, the scam was ulimately uncovered. Apparently, enough was stolen to make it a felony charge. So, if I see a figure in my last two digits that doesn't match "the norm", it automatically will send up a red flag. I guess you could scrutinize your bills more closely, keep your receipts, etc., but this is a quick and easy method that works for me.
Old 03-20-06, 12:30 PM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by krookid
I used to have that problem in my G35 coupe and it seriously pissed me off so I hope this is an isolated incident
+++1 ugg I hated that
Old 03-20-06, 12:41 PM
CarDudeRI
Rookie

back to the orignal topic... this has happened to me 3 times so far... i have an empty tank and just start to fill it and then the pump automatically shuts off as though my tank were full, however it only has 1/4 tank of gas in it at most.
Old 03-20-06, 01:07 PM
SLIDE1
Driver School Candidate

Part of this problem depends on which gas station you use. I have had the problem of the pump tripping off after only putting in one gallon on different cars. I have been told by buddy that sells pump equipment that they are set to trip really lightly in parts of town where people pay no attention or try to ridiculously overfill their tanks and then want to know who gonna pay for their new clothes now that they have spilled gas on themselves.
On a side note they had to pay someone to go around parts of town and remove the sticker on the pump that said "For Sales or Service Call ..." because their phone rang all day with people calling wanting money because they had spilled gas on themselves or their car.

Quick Reply: Issue When Filling Up The Gas Tank