IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Issue When Filling Up The Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 01:55 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by casey225
I always top off to have the same value for the cents. My wife was involved in a scam once where the gas station attendant would steal someone's credit card number and charge their credit card every week or two for an "average" amount of gasoline, then steal that amount of money from the register. That way the business books would balance. The way we knew is that this station was on the other side of town and was the only time we had been there. When she questioned her bill, the scam was ulimately uncovered. Apparently, enough was stolen to make it a felony charge. So, if I see a figure in my last two digits that doesn't match "the norm", it automatically will send up a red flag. I guess you could scrutinize your bills more closely, keep your receipts, etc., but this is a quick and easy method that works for me.
Huge waste of time.
Old 03-20-06, 02:13 PM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
Huge waste of time.
takes usually less than 10 seconds to top off slightly - I think "huge waste of time" is a stretch!
Old 03-20-06, 03:55 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

That has happened to me countless number of times with several different cars. I just pull the nozzle out a little bit and works fine from there.
Old 03-20-06, 03:59 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLIDE1
Part of this problem depends on which gas station you use. I have had the problem of the pump tripping off after only putting in one gallon on different cars. I have been told by buddy that sells pump equipment that they are set to trip really lightly in parts of town where people pay no attention or try to ridiculously overfill their tanks and then want to know who gonna pay for their new clothes now that they have spilled gas on themselves.
On a side note they had to pay someone to go around parts of town and remove the sticker on the pump that said "For Sales or Service Call ..." because their phone rang all day with people calling wanting money because they had spilled gas on themselves or their car.
Very true. Its mostly the pump not the car. I also fill a Bike. and some pumps around here you have to pull the saftey around the nozzle back and some you dont. I personally like the one that dont have the saftey. It always gets in my way. And when i put it into a car some fell like the spring is going to push the whole thing back out of the car if i let go. But bottom line is the pumps are sensitive to pressure. As your filling the car if the air presure inside the tank that is being forced out by the new gas builds it trip the pump to stop. If the fuel doesnt go down fast enough it back up and trip the pump. So some times its the pump is to sensitive, the nozzle is inserted in the wierd way where the gas backs up or there is no room around the filler to allow the built up air in the tank to release.
Old 03-20-06, 04:05 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

This type of problem ended up as a recall when I had a Miata. Same exact symptoms, the pump would shut off well before the tank was full. It ended up being some sort of back flow valve down in the neck of the filler tube (I know there was a recall, but don't quote me on the reason, it was a while ago).

Not wanting to stir up controversy as a newbie here, but it was all the rage on the Miata board for like 6 months.
Old 03-20-06, 04:49 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

I've had some cars for which this was a big problem, but not the IS. The pump must be too sensitive. Maybe you live in a smog area and they have to make them extra sensitive by law...
Old 03-20-06, 05:21 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Ok I will try pulling out the nozzle a little bit and see if I still have this problem. And I'm not trying to top off the tank. My gas light was on and it stopped at 7.5 gallons... the tank holds 17mpg so i was like
Old 03-20-06, 05:46 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wid IS350
takes usually less than 10 seconds to top off slightly - I think "huge waste of time" is a stretch!
No sorry I meant spiking your credit card statement with recognizable gasoline charges.
Old 03-21-06, 07:13 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
No sorry I meant spiking your credit card statement with recognizable gasoline charges.
Yeah - I never look at my statements anyhow not good!
Old 07-10-13, 11:37 AM
kl323
Pole Position

Super old thread, but going to revive this.

I've had this problem on my 2010 IS 350 for about 1 year now. It recently got worse. I'd fill the tank up from empty, and the nozzle would shut off after 1 gallon was added.. then it'd go on to click another 10 times before I'm done (as shown on the fuel gauge).

I asked the dealership about this and they looked inside the tank (with a camera) and said nothing was in there. Then one of the more senior techs said (without looking at the car) that the problem could be due to the presence of a foreign object. They'd need to remove the filler neck because they think something may be in there. I don't know what's in there since I never added anything besides gasoline to the tank (no addictives, nothing). I was told if it is a foreign object, it's obv not covered under warranty. But if it is a manufacturer defect, they'd take care of it.

Does anyone have any experience with this and a fix? Want to field some input before I have them look.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-13, 11:45 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Topping your gas or force filling it till it spills will quickly damage your Gas Canister. Usually when it clicks... your supposed to stop there. I've seen dozens of vehicles come in for repairs at our dealership for gas canister issue due to customer admitting they would click continuous till gas would spill out.
Old 02-03-17, 06:34 PM
liudizzle
Driver School Candidate

I have a brand new 2016 Lexus IS350 Fsport with only 5000 miles on it and I just started running into this problem. The pump shut off prematurely on my last two trips to the gas station. I got half a tank the first time, and about 3/4 a tank the second time. I've been pumping gas for over 15 years and this has never been a problem. Did anybody find a resolution for this?
Old 02-03-17, 09:57 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by liudizzle
I have a brand new 2016 Lexus IS350 Fsport with only 5000 miles on it and I just started running into this problem. The pump shut off prematurely on my last two trips to the gas station. I got half a tank the first time, and about 3/4 a tank the second time. I've been pumping gas for over 15 years and this has never been a problem. Did anybody find a resolution for this?
It'd probably be better for you to ask in the 3IS forum, but, if it's consistently doing it, I'd bring it to your dealer and have them inspect the filler neck and tubing.