IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ISP Mode or G-Spyders on 250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-06, 06:48 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISP Mode or G-Spyders on 250 AWD

Well, after the weekend, I am now inclined to stick with my 250 AWD instead of going with a 350. By tomorrow will have missed the batch order date and I don't want to wait another 2 months.

This then brings up the wheel issue. I really would like to put either GS 18/8s or G-Spyders or IS-Mode 18s on my car. The dealer says not compatible. Someother dealers sell 18s for the 250 AWDs as someone here has posted.

Has anyone here put 18 inch OEMs or G-Spyders (or ISP modes) on their 250 AWD? Any problems? Any pics please?
Old 03-19-06, 07:25 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

hrm not sure about the not compatible. maybe he's hinting you'll have to buy new tires as well (as you would, 17 vs 18). he probably thinkgs you can't put rwd rims on an awd car, which you might not depending on the rear calipers for the awd i've never seen em but can't think they'd be bigger!

its possible in other words. the GSpiders i cant speak for don' tknow their spoke arc they might not fit the capiler but the others should easily
Old 03-20-06, 04:21 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

I don't think he meant the tires. I thought it was because of the stagger. The dic sizes are smaller in the 250 (11.6 vs. 13.1 in front, 11.4 vs. 12.2 in rear) so I doubt the brake caliber is larger. Also, the size difference is there even with 250 RWD, which accepts the 18s.

I don't mind buying new tires with the new wheels. I love the ISP Mode and G-Spyders look but I am thinking there may be a damaging consequence or why would Lexus not want to sell more accessories for their biggest seller on the East coast?
Old 03-20-06, 04:32 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

There's no issue with stagger, because you can just order 4 front rims instead of a front/rear set. Voila, no stagger.

Since this is a dealer installed option anyway, I'd say just order your car and sort the wheel issue out later on your own.
Old 03-20-06, 04:58 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Any of the OEM 18" wheels will come with ....

summer tires on the RWD's. This wouldn't make sense on an AWD. Our factory service rep put GS300 Spyders on his AWD IS250 and no problems. He didn't try to stagger however. If you go to aftermarket wheels just make sure the rims are compatible with the tire pressure sensor valve stems on the IS.

Rock
Old 03-20-06, 05:11 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rockville
summer tires on the RWD's. This wouldn't make sense on an AWD. Our factory service rep put GS300 Spyders on his AWD IS250 and no problems. He didn't try to stagger however. If you go to aftermarket wheels just make sure the rims are compatible with the tire pressure sensor valve stems on the IS.

Rock
Why exactly do you think it doesn't make sense to put summer tires on an AWD car? You have heard of cars like the WRX, WRX STi, EVO VIII, Audi A4, etc. etc? Summer tires are options (or standard equipment) on all these cars.

Just because it says AWD doesn't mean it's always going to be trudging through the snow. You get the same benefits of summer tires on an AWD vehicle that you get on any other.
Old 03-20-06, 06:32 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rockville

Rock
Rock,
I agree with McFly. Summer tires should be OK with AWD unless you keep them all year. My plan is to put summer tires on the 18s and then take my 17s and put a set of snow tires on them. I will change to my 17s with snows for the winter. It sounds like from what you are saying the 18s if same size, should not hurt anything. How about ride quality? Did your service rep comment on that at all?
Old 03-20-06, 12:29 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

I called the parts department at our local dealer. Lexus parts catalog apparently also says RWD only for G-Sypders but the parts supervisor thinks that 18/8s should fit fine (with the caveat that they would test them first to see if they clear everything.

Interestingly, Lexus site in Canada lists G-Sypders as an option for 250 AWDs sold there. I just can't figure out why Lexus insists otherwise in their documentation. I am wondering if there is a long-term technical concern about this setup with IS AWD or something else that does not apply to the GS? It is puzzling
Old 03-28-06, 06:54 PM
TourGolf
Driver School Candidate

Smile G-Spiders (Chrome)

Originally Posted by Turkoman
Well, after the weekend, I am now inclined to stick with my 250 AWD instead of going with a 350. By tomorrow will have missed the batch order date and I don't want to wait another 2 months.

This then brings up the wheel issue. I really would like to put either GS 18/8s or G-Spyders or IS-Mode 18s on my car. The dealer says not compatible. Someother dealers sell 18s for the 250 AWDs as someone here has posted.

Has anyone here put 18 inch OEMs or G-Spyders (or ISP modes) on their 250 AWD? Any problems? Any pics please?
Scheduled to take delivery of my IS 350, Blue Onyx Pearl, Lux, ML, NAV next week. Dealer sent a set of G-Spider 18" to Colorado to have them chromed, then will be sent back to Dallas. Think it's going to look great! Charged me $1300, but they are advertising them at $2495.... Good Luck, I can't wait..........
Old 03-29-06, 07:41 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TourGolf
Scheduled to take delivery of my IS 350, Blue Onyx Pearl, Lux, ML, NAV next week. Dealer sent a set of G-Spider 18" to Colorado to have them chromed, then will be sent back to Dallas. Think it's going to look great! Charged me $1300, but they are advertising them at $2495.... Good Luck, I can't wait..........
That sure sounds great. Please post pics as soon as you get them on. I would like to consider the same.