IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hill hold? Did you realize that it's on the IS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 07:27 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hill hold? Did you realize that it's on the IS?

The other day I stopped at a light and noticed the car did not roll back down the incline when I took my foot off the brake. Odd, I thought. So I tested it again and this time did not apply my foot to the brake. The car did not move and it was probably a 15-20 degree incline. So I went back and checked the manual, and sure enough all automatics have the hill hold feature.

Anyone out in the San Francisco area care to comment? I'm curious how well this feature works on steeper inclines?
Old 03-15-06, 07:33 PM
shox
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never had an automatic roll back on me before.
Old 03-15-06, 08:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

there was a thread before. after a certain slope, it can't hold anymore and you will stall the car
Old 03-15-06, 08:44 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lombard street is about 40% but I think you only go DOWN on the curvy part. There are hills in SF that no auto can hold onto.
Old 03-15-06, 09:29 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought hill hold was only for sticks. I know subaru's do that. When you push in the clutch then hit the brake it holds the brake until you start to release the clutch. Dont ask me how it works. But it only works when your not moving.
Old 03-16-06, 03:34 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by integlikew
I thought hill hold was only for sticks. I know subaru's do that. When you push in the clutch then hit the brake it holds the brake until you start to release the clutch. Dont ask me how it works. But it only works when your not moving.
I don't know what magical subaru you're talking about, but I can assure you mine (2003) doesn't have anything resembling hill hold... especially not in a 5-spd.
Old 03-16-06, 04:04 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I don't know what magical subaru you're talking about, but I can assure you mine (2003) doesn't have anything resembling hill hold... especially not in a 5-spd.
I had a Subaru Brat and it very much did have hill hold, and I used in San Francisco!
Old 03-16-06, 04:12 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

As far as I can determine, the only modern Subaru that still has hill-hold is the Forester XT.
Old 03-16-06, 09:55 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I can determine, the only modern Subaru that still has hill-hold is the Forester XT.
I did check the forester and it does have it but im not sure which other ones had it. I know the car i worked on at work wasnt a forester tho. It was a older impreza or something. I rember haveing to adjust it for the customer. Has some linkages comming from the clutch pedal. Worked good. After you have the clutch and brake in on a hill. You could take you foot off the brake and move it to the gas and the car wouldnt budge. Then give it some gas and as you let out on the clutch pedal it automaticly starts releasing the brakes.
So no more of those quickly move your foot from brake to gas and you get that lil roll backwards.
Old 03-16-06, 10:20 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

all that torque prevents the car from rollin downhill
Old 03-16-06, 10:42 AM
L-Tuner
Driver School Candidate

I believe that system is referred to as Grade Logic Control. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 03-16-06, 11:53 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by L-Tuner
I believe that system is referred to as Grade Logic Control. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Subaru added a 'grade control logic' program to the auto transmissions for some models to help slow the car during long descents. Fairly common these days on most cars.

The "hill holder" feature was very popular in the late 80's through mid 90's on most if not all MT Subaru's... though I don't think is used as widely now. Was a great feature for novice MT drivers!
Old 03-16-06, 12:52 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I don't think this is new, is it? because my 20 yr old car had it.

Anyway, WHO would sit on an incline hill with their foot OFF the brake?
Old 03-16-06, 12:56 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by integlikew
I did check the forester and it does have it but im not sure which other ones had it. I know the car i worked on at work wasnt a forester tho. It was a older impreza or something. I rember haveing to adjust it for the customer. Has some linkages comming from the clutch pedal. Worked good. After you have the clutch and brake in on a hill. You could take you foot off the brake and move it to the gas and the car wouldnt budge. Then give it some gas and as you let out on the clutch pedal it automaticly starts releasing the brakes.
So no more of those quickly move your foot from brake to gas and you get that lil roll backwards.
That's what the handbrake is for.... but I guess some folk aren't that coordinated. Although I suspect they probably shouldn't be driving a stick if they can't manage a handbrake-hill-start.
Old 03-16-06, 01:15 PM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

That's what the handbrake is for.... but I guess some folk aren't that coordinated. Although I suspect they probably shouldn't be driving a stick if they can't manage a handbrake-hill-start.
It was a good feature for beginners that didn't need anymore distractions than working the clutch and shifting.... anyone experienced at driving a MT will NEVER need the emergency break.

Quick Reply: Hill hold? Did you realize that it's on the IS?