IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can't lock car doors while car is running?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 07:09 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't lock car doors while car is running?

During cold weather, I like to warm up my car for a few minutes before I leave for work. I started up the IS, got out and tried to lock the doors but they would not lock while the car was running.

Does any one know if there is way to program the personalized settings so I am able to lock the car while it is running? I could get an aftermarket remote start but the one I had on my last car periodically generated mysterious error codes--ultimately it had to be disconnected.
Old 03-07-06, 07:26 PM
TurkEclisp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about doing this too. I highly doubt that Lexus can peronalize this for you. If they can let me know lol
Old 03-07-06, 07:35 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

No you can't lock the doors with the engine running, and the key fob out of range. Good thing. (1) don't need to leave engines idling, it not a diesel, and it's not 1960. (2) too many poeple would lock themselves out.
Old 03-07-06, 08:21 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I haven't tried this but the only way I think you can lock all the doors with the engine running and you the drive have left the vehicle with the key in your pocket....is to have someone inside the car to lock the doors behind you? <---not your case, just an observation

I know it's cold but could you reach inside the partial window and lock the door? If someone tried to open the door without the remote the alarm would go off?

I normally try out all these before I post but I'm too lazy to go out tonight so right now they're just questions.
Old 03-07-06, 08:38 PM
deuce2
Rookie

would it be possible to leave the spare remote in the car and carry the other remote on yourself and lock it with that one?
Old 03-07-06, 09:21 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by deuce2
would it be possible to leave the spare remote in the car and carry the other remote on yourself and lock it with that one?
Tried that....didn't work with the car running.
Old 03-07-06, 09:45 PM
deuce2
Rookie

i think i figured it out, but you will need to use your emergency key to get back in the car...

start your engine and roll down the driver side window all the way...get out of the car and shut the door..stick your head inside the window and lock the doors...then roll up the window with the one click roll up and pull your arm out before the window closes all the way..your engine will now be running and doors locked....problem with this is you can't use the remote to unlock the door...i think the car thinks you are still in the car....you will have to pop the door handle and unlock it with your key..not sure if this is worth doing with all these steps.
Old 03-07-06, 09:52 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL. this is good. All these weird ways of doing this. Shoot ill try my self here it goes.

Walk out in your PJ's and take fluffy with you. (you pet dog. DUHHH.) Start the car and leave the dog in the seat. have the dog push the lock button and gard the car until you come back. Now this might sound hard but if you train the dog it just might work well.

Ps. Make sure this dog dont like the car as I do. If he/she does they just might do what i would and take off in the car.
Old 03-07-06, 09:55 PM
CodyLexus
Driver

Just liked to point out that if the remote is left in the car, primary or spare, and the doors are closed, the doors will not lock by using the button on the handle. Must be a safety feature to prevent locking the key in the car. I wanted to lock the doors on my 250 when we were at the graveyard. I couldn't figure out why the doors wouldn't lock, only by pushing the lock button on the remote would they lock. My wife had her purse in the car and her keys were in there.
Old 03-08-06, 11:51 AM
Jimmer350
Driver

Another thing I've found is my wife can sometimes take a little longer to get out of the car then me. If she has opened her door and just not got out I cannot push the button on the handle to lock the doors until she has closed her door. Must be another safety thing.
Old 03-08-06, 03:09 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

How about this,

If your intent is to lock the car with it running:

1) Leave the FOB in the car while it is running. =
2) Open a window all the way.
3) Stick your hand inside and lock it.
4) Use the 1-touch close feature to close the window (and get your hand outta there).
5) Locked!

(Why would you want to lock yourself out of your car while it is running? Will another fob open it if it is running?)
Old 03-08-06, 03:15 PM
doubleshot
Driver School Candidate

get in, start the car, close the door, push the lock button on your keyfob, locks the doors...

EDIT: DONT LEAVE THE KEYS IN THE CAR!!!! (the lock button on the keyfob not on the door handle)
Old 03-08-06, 03:43 PM
lexnan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by integlikew
LOL. this is good. All these weird ways of doing this. Shoot ill try my self here it goes.

Walk out in your PJ's and take fluffy with you. (you pet dog. DUHHH.) Start the car and leave the dog in the seat. have the dog push the lock button and gard the car until you come back. Now this might sound hard but if you train the dog it just might work well.

Ps. Make sure this dog dont like the car as I do. If he/she does they just might do what i would and take off in the car.
This is the best among all your "LOCK YOURSELF OUT WHILE ENGINE IS RUNNING" Procedures. Lol.

-------------------
IS350 soon
Old 03-08-06, 03:43 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by doubleshot
get in, start the car, close the door, push the lock button on your keyfob, locks the doors...

EDIT: DONT LEAVE THE KEYS IN THE CAR!!!! (the lock button on the keyfob not on the door handle)
ummm, that doesn't work.
Old 03-08-06, 05:05 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

I like this one best too. My dog's very smart, but she likes to sleep in during the morning, so that's out for now.

Quick Reply: Can't lock car doors while car is running?