IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$1155 to install XM!!!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-06, 04:27 PM
sbasinger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1155 to install XM!!!??

Tustin Lexus just tried to charge me $1155 to install XM radio! on my is350!

Last edited by sbasinger; 02-28-06 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-28-06, 04:28 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch x_X I think retail on the parts (receiver/antenna) is in the $500 neighborhood + labor

shopping around is always a good idea ^_^
Old 02-28-06, 04:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you laugh psychotically at them when they suggested that price? I would've...

I'd only pay that much if the XM Reciever included Oprah in the car broadcasting her XM show with her best friend Gayle and her decorator Nate Berkus.
Old 02-28-06, 04:53 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Oprah in the car broadcasting her XM show with her best friend Gayle and her decorator Nate Berkus.
Philip, FYI, you're not doing a whole lot here to redeem the masculinity of BWB owners.
Old 02-28-06, 05:10 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

LOL
Old 02-28-06, 06:03 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Langdell
Philip, FYI, you're not doing a whole lot here to redeem the masculinity of BWB owners.
LOL. You BWB guys are HILARIOUS. I LOVE it!

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-28-06, 06:35 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by Kermee
LOL. You BWB guys are HILARIOUS. I LOVE it!

Cheers,
Kermee
Thanks for the props, Kermee. But I feel compelled to clarify that I am not one of the BWB guys. You and I are classic black-on-black brothers.

Sorry to have taken this thread so far OT. Back on topic, what are people typically paying for the XM install?

Also, has anyone compared the sound quality of a Delphi SkyFi2 through the aux port with the installed XM? I'm currently quite satisfied with the sound I'm getting with a SkiFi2 + ground loop isolator. (It's much better than the Roady2 I started out with for my first foray into satellite radio.) My "install" is almost invisible--with the radio, etc. tucked into the center console, all that's in the open are a couple feet of antenna wire and the antenna on the package shelf. And in my black interior, the antenna stuff blends in so well you don't notice it if you're not looking for it. I'm really on the fence as to whether getting the XM install will be worth it to me to upgrade. A noticeable leap in sound quality would be the most important factor to me.
Old 02-28-06, 06:52 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sbasinger
Tustin Lexus just tried to charge me $1155 to install XM radio! on my is350!
That is absolute insanity!
Old 02-28-06, 07:00 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Did you laugh psychotically at them when they suggested that price? I would've...

I'd only pay that much if the XM Reciever included Oprah in the car broadcasting her XM show with her best friend Gayle and her decorator Nate Berkus.
Sorry Phillip, I'd need all that AND Dr. Robin to shell out that kind of $$$. This way, I won't have to pay my psychiatrist for weekly consultations anymore...
Old 02-28-06, 07:10 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

I was quoted $690 for the install by the Lexus dealer--thought that was a bit steep compared to the monkeys at Best Buy--who charged $300 or so for the installation on my Saturn. But with BB, I was never completely happy with the result. They BB installer initially tried to hook it up using the FM transmitter but it generated a lot of static. So they changed it to a direct connect, and the sound quality improved dramatically. But the unit periodically loses memory or won't power up unless I disconnect the power cord from the ski fi II unit. Anyway, I wasn't eager to repeat the experience--so I figured let dealer do it. They probably have better training, and more incentive to keep their customers happy. We'll see.
Old 02-28-06, 08:23 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't diss my Oprah. I'm gonna marry her one of these days! Sheez my crazee beech!!!

VOTE FOR OPRAH 2008!!!

Old 02-28-06, 08:33 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Oprah thinks she's the best thing to ever happen to the world. Hermes Paris put her in her place.
Old 02-28-06, 09:02 PM
dajwilson
Driver

Originally Posted by S L I C K
Oprah thinks she's the best thing to ever happen to the world. Hermes Paris put her in her place.

Well, if I could associate my name with a billion dollars, I'd think I was the best thing. Hermes Paris can't make that association either so.........Oprah....keep doing your thing.

On topic though, if a Lexus dealer quotes me 1155 for install of XM, I'll just have to get that mobile Roady system.....no matter how ghetto it looks.
Old 02-28-06, 11:21 PM
saske
Rookie

Thanks for the props, Kermee. But I feel compelled to clarify that I am not one of the BWB guys. You and I are classic black-on-black brothers.

Sorry to have taken this thread so far OT. Back on topic, what are people typically paying for the XM install?

Also, has anyone compared the sound quality of a Delphi SkyFi2 through the aux port with the installed XM? I'm currently quite satisfied with the sound I'm getting with a SkiFi2 + ground loop isolator. (It's much better than the Roady2 I started out with for my first foray into satellite radio.) My "install" is almost invisible--with the radio, etc. tucked into the center console, all that's in the open are a couple feet of antenna wire and the antenna on the package shelf. And in my black interior, the antenna stuff blends in so well you don't notice it if you're not looking for it. I'm really on the fence as to whether getting the XM install will be worth it to me to upgrade. A noticeable leap in sound quality would be the most important factor to me.
Langdell,
I was using the SkiFi in my IS until my XM was installed. I don't think you can beat a full install of XM. I think it is cleaner and it also keeps the interior as stock looking as possible. I paid $486 installed from Alderson Lexus in Lubbock, TX. This probably doesn't help much because when you already have XM via the SkiFi, it is hard to Justify $500 for a very similar set up other than the integration.
Old 03-01-06, 12:17 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

IMO it's pretty damn sad that Lexus is so far behind the curve on this one. There are numerous domestic vehicles at half the price that come standard with Sat. radio.

Quick Reply: $1155 to install XM!!!??