IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

XM Radio Volume -- Too soft compared to Radio & CD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 05:16 AM
cincy_hyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio Volume -- Too soft compared to Radio & CD?

I just picked up my blue onyx IS 250 AWD (nav, and luxury pkg) from the dealer yesterday.... wow what a fun car to drive... nothing like my 2003 Nissan Murano.

I had the dealer install the XM radio before taking delivery (antenna on the back shelf) figuring that the only way to have XM is to feed it right into the system. The only problem is that I have to turn the volume up to about 40-45 to be able to listen it at the volume I am comfortable with. This isn't a big deal, the problem happens when you change out of SAT and turn on the radio or a CD... the volume comes out real loud on a CD or normal radio forcing me to quickly turn the SAT down.

Has anyone had this problem at all? I had XM on my Murano and NEVER had to do this.. also the sound quality isn't that great. I'm going to call the dealer but I figured I'd ask all of you first.

Last edited by cincy_hyn; 02-24-06 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-24-06, 05:59 AM
Langdell
Driver

In my IS350, I'm listening to XM through a Delphi SkyFi2 via the auxiliary input jack, and I have the same issue with XM volume. The SkyFi does have an audio level adjustment that lets you increase its volume output somewhat. Cranking that up to the max made things a little better, but I still need to have the volume in the 45-50 range for comfortable listening. I don't know if the installed XM tuner has the same audio level feature, but if it does, that would probably help your issue.

However, in my car, the volume level for each source stays the same as I left it when I last listened to that source. In other words, if I switch from XM at volume 50 to CD, CD comes on at, say, 28 or whatever level I left it at. Thus, the high volume level for XM is not a big deal. I have Mark Levinson audio, so maybe that is what gives me this function, and maybe the stock system doesn't have it. Or maybe it works whenever you have Automatic Sound Leveling (ASL) on, even on the stock system. If you have the stock system, you may want to read up on how to set it to remember the volume levels for each source (if possible). If you have ML, check to see if your ASL is off; if so, try turning it on and seeing if that works.
Old 02-24-06, 09:56 AM
AllenAggie
Driver School Candidate

The XM volume on my ML is a little lower than CD/RADIO, but that that much...also, the sound quality is great! No complaints.
Old 02-24-06, 09:58 AM
mofogasm
Pole Position

when i switch from aux, to cd or to radio each tuner has it's own volume so if you change from cd when you are playing at a high volume to a the radio, it will not play the same volume
Old 02-24-06, 10:30 AM
cincy_hyn
Driver School Candidate

****, what stereo system do you have? I have the 250 so no ML.

You know... there is a mute button on the non-nav 250 radio but none on the nav 250... odd to me.
Old 02-24-06, 11:42 AM
mofogasm
Pole Position

i don't have an ml system. but the volume i set on the radio doesn't get transfered over when i set it to CD or Aux.
Old 02-24-06, 04:24 PM
cincy_hyn
Driver School Candidate

That's odd... is there a setting I'm not getting? I looked and the volume stays the same for every source when I switch between them all.
Old 02-25-06, 06:01 PM
rljones
Driver School Candidate

cincy_hyn,

Each source remembers the last volume setting. If you set the volume to the same level for each of your sources, then when you switch between sources, the numbers will be the same. Change one and switch to another souce and the 2nd souce should be different.

As for the XM volume, it is about the same for my IS350. I did the install myselft and there are no adjustments on the XM receiver. I find the volume for FM radio and XM runs about the same. For the iPOD aux input, I run the iPOD through the Belkin unit discussed on other threads that has a built in preamp; I adjust this gain to match the other sources, so all my settings end up being about the same.
Old 02-25-06, 06:05 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AllenAggie
The XM volume on my ML is a little lower than CD/RADIO, but that that much...also, the sound quality is great! No complaints.
Same deal here
Old 02-25-06, 06:37 PM
saske
Rookie

Originally Posted by Foxberry
Same deal here
I'm the same as these guys. I haven't noticed a difference in volume at all and the quality is great. Much better than when I was using my SkiFi. No reception problems or volume problems.
Old 02-26-06, 07:13 PM
cincy_hyn
Driver School Candidate

Ok.. I'm looked twice and then volume stays the same no matter what source I'm switching from. It stays the same when I go from FM to CD, to SAT to CD, etc. Maybe I'm not setting something right? Can you guys provide some help, especially the folks with the 250 (non ML).

In my opinion, I've gone from a 2003 NIssan Murano with stock XM and the sound quality was better if not equal to CD... in the Lexus it isn't. I also have had a friend with a G35 coupe remark how my XM quality wasn't up to par.

I talked to the dealer and he said they will try to get in a replacement XM receiver and try it. I think even he noticed something.
Old 02-26-06, 08:07 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cincy_hyn
Ok.. I'm looked twice and then volume stays the same no matter what source I'm switching from. It stays the same when I go from FM to CD, to SAT to CD, etc. Maybe I'm not setting something right? Can you guys provide some help, especially the folks with the 250 (non ML).

In my opinion, I've gone from a 2003 NIssan Murano with stock XM and the sound quality was better if not equal to CD... in the Lexus it isn't. I also have had a friend with a G35 coupe remark how my XM quality wasn't up to par.
My volume stays the same as well. I think the volume level automatically changing when switching audio sources is a ML feature.

Hmmm. My buddy has a 2005 TL and he thinks the XM in my car sounds MUCH better than in his. I really think yours has some sort of problem.
Old 02-27-06, 06:33 AM
cincy_hyn
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if the dealer installed XM is a direct connection into the system and not through an FM modulator? I talked to an Acura friend and he said that Honda's "direct connection" is running through an FM modulator.

I don't think so but I wanted to hear all of your feedback.
Old 02-27-06, 12:50 PM
rljones
Driver School Candidate

There is only one type of install of XM using a receiver purchased from Lexus. This is the same one as I did. There is no modulator. The wiring harness is pre-installed for ML and non-ML systems and is identical for both. Basically, the XM is simply inserted between the radio unit in your dash and the power amp in the trunk. The XM receiver is installed in the trunk (see my ealier posts for more details).

My suspicion is that the XM unit is faulty, or more likely, wasn't installed correctly. The plug-in harness is like spaghetti and something may not have been properly plugged in.

BTW, the volume changing feature is not exclusive to ML. I do not have ML and the volume levels are stored uniquely for each source.

Regards, Robert
Old 02-28-06, 07:41 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rljones
BTW, the volume changing feature is not exclusive to ML. I do not have ML and the volume levels are stored uniquely for each source.
That is really odd. My non-ML system def. does not store the volume level for each audio source. This must be a setting of some sort.

Quick Reply: XM Radio Volume -- Too soft compared to Radio & CD?