IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tire pressure sensor on rims

Old 02-15-06, 10:56 AM
x2mkx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure sensor on rims

im curious, for all those who got new rims, did u just disable the sensor altogether or did wat? i it at all possible to maybe install the sensor on the new rims?
Old 02-15-06, 11:51 AM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

They moved the sensors from the stock rims to the aftermarket rims, if the after market rims are not TMS compliant they strap the sensor to the inside of the rime with a metal band that goes around the rim.
Old 02-15-06, 05:47 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just had my rims put on today (will post pics tomorrow)...they moved the sensors over to my new rims
Old 02-15-06, 05:57 PM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by x2mkx
im curious, for all those who got new rims, did u just disable the sensor altogether or did wat? i it at all possible to maybe install the sensor on the new rims?
Tire pressure sensors wouldn't work with my Volks (two piece) and you can't disable the system.

I went to Lowe's and bought a $17 wheelbarrow tire/rim as suggested on this board. I put them inside the tire, inflated it to 35psi and threw it in the trunk. Works like a charm.
Old 02-15-06, 07:03 PM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

sajonf,

1.Did you put all 4 sensors in?
2.How did you secure them in place?
3.Why not just put the sensors in the spare tire?
Old 02-15-06, 07:55 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Galaxy 40
How you going to put FOUR sensors in the spare?
Old 02-15-06, 08:52 PM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I don't know the answer to your question, thats why I was asking sajonf if he put all 4 of them in the wheelburrow rim. he referred to the sensors as "THEM" so Iam assuming 4. If yes, how is it any different from the spare tire? Please enlighten me.
Old 02-15-06, 09:19 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

I don't know the answer to your question, thats why I was asking sajonf if he put all 4 of them in the wheelburrow rim. he referred to the sensors as "THEM" so Iam assuming 4. If yes, how is it any different from the spare tire? Please enlighten me.
(1) you're never going to mount the wheelbarrow wheel on the car, so (2) you could drill 3 extra holes in that (wheelbarrow) rim and install the TPM sensors. You couldn't do that with the doughnut.
Old 02-15-06, 09:30 PM
viet658
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
The sensors are not sticking out of the spare like a normal valve stem. They are inside of the spare. The pressure in the wheel fools the system into thinking the pressure is correct.
Old 02-15-06, 09:54 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by viet658
The sensors are not sticking out of the spare like a normal valve stem. They are inside of the spare. The pressure in the wheel fools the system into thinking the pressure is correct.
OK. good to know. But still seems like an unfortunate workaround. Can't you just put all four in the trunk and reset the pressure monitor to the ambient air pressure? What's the lowest PSI you can set using the system?
Old 02-15-06, 11:49 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

Why would you do that when you can have the tire place strap the sensers to the center of the Rim with a thin metal clamp then they still work and still tell you if your tires are low. trust me with any tire 40 series or smaller you can pill the rim off the tire if you drive with tires that are not pressures enough and also you can get flats easier if the pressure is low on top of that you can drive for miles on a flat lowpro wheel and not notice that the tire went flat. you all can doo what you like but i recommend getting them strapped to the rim.(this is obviously after market and not the lexus system but the straps are the same.)

Hee is a picture of the TPMS system and the straps that can be used with the sensors.
Old 02-15-06, 11:51 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

Why would you do that when you can have the tire place strap the sensers to the center of the Rim with a thin metal clamp then they still work and still tell you if your tires are low. trust me with any tire 40 series or smaller you can peel the tire off the rim if you drive with tires that are not pressures enough and also you can get flats easier if the pressure is low on top of that you can drive for miles on a flat lowpro wheel and not notice that the tire went flat. you all can doo what you like but i recommend getting them strapped to the rim.

Hee is a picture of the TPMS system and the straps that can be used with the sensors.
Old 02-16-06, 05:44 AM
sajonf
Driver

sajonf,

1.Did you put all 4 sensors in?
2.How did you secure them in place?
1. Yes, all 4 sensors are in the tire
2. I didn't. They don't need to be secured.
3. Because if I ever need to use the spare they will be bouncing around inside of the spare tire which will result in damage to the sensors. Not to mention that the spare would be horribly out of balance.
Old 02-16-06, 06:03 AM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by CarbonIS300
Why would you do that when you can have the tire place strap the sensers to the center of the Rim with a thin metal clamp then they still work and still tell you if your tires are low. trust me with any tire 40 series or smaller you can peel the tire off the rim if you drive with tires that are not pressures enough and also you can get flats easier if the pressure is low on top of that you can drive for miles on a flat lowpro wheel and not notice that the tire went flat. you all can doo what you like but i recommend getting them strapped to the rim.

Several reasons:

1. The new tires and wheels were shipped to me already mounted and balanced. This method would have required that I have them dismounted from the rim, installed the sensors and remounted. I didn’t want to pay for that process nor did I want to chance anyone damaging one of the rims in the process.

2. The Lexus pressure sensors don’t support the band around the wheel method so this would require the purchase of a third-party sensor that may or may not work with the Lexus system or the use of a sattelite display like you pointed out. I already had a set of sensors for my winter tires that work with the factory system.

3. With this method I can switch between my winter and summer tires without transferring the sensors back and forth or having to deal with the warning lights while using one of the sets of tires.

4. I don’t really care about having the TPMS – I can tell when I have a flat tire the old fashioned way.

5. It only cost me $17.
Old 02-16-06, 03:48 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

It was my Lexus dealer who told me they could be straped to the center of the wheel.

Originally Posted by sajonf
Several reasons:

2. The Lexus pressure sensors don’t support the band around the wheel method so this would require the purchase of a third-party sensor that may or may not work with the Lexus system or the use of a sattelite display like you pointed out. I already had a set of sensors for my winter tires that work with the factory system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensor on rims