IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LED Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 10:57 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

they can not be removed with taking a part the light assembly. only the reverse lights are twist ons. i took removed the assembly from the trunk before.
Old 02-17-06, 10:57 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
LED = Light Emitting Diode

It doesn't have to be small, and it doesn't have to be used in the way you're all thinking. All someone needs to do is go look at the bulb in their taillight. It should be really easy to access, since they're made to be replaced (although one of the upsides of LEDs is long lasting bulbs).
only the bulbs for the turn signal and reverse light are easily accessible--the LED brake lights, mounted on circuit boards, require removal of the whole assembly. I think one of the reasons IS's LED brakelight does not resemble those of G35 or 3 series is the complex shape of the housing, cramming 12-24 LED's in the curved housing would look strange.
Old 02-17-06, 11:02 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
easier said than done...there's no easy access.
In that case, there's little question that they're LED's. Standard bulbs have to have easy access, because they burn out pretty frequently (relatively speaking). I've never seen a normal set of taillight bulbs that were hard to get to.
Old 02-17-06, 11:44 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by heffergm
In that case, there's little question that they're LED's. Standard bulbs have to have easy access, because they burn out pretty frequently (relatively speaking). I've never seen a normal set of taillight bulbs that were hard to get to.
this all is making more sense now. I do know what LED stands for, btw to the poster above
Old 02-17-06, 12:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

saw a IS early in the morning with tailights on the light emitted was a highly concentrated red from a small spot, has to be LED
Old 02-17-06, 01:32 PM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

LED taillights activate quicker, don't lose illuminance with time, never need to be replaced, and are brighter upon illumination. It's not a matter of style, but rather safety and common sense.
Old 02-17-06, 02:02 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

The G35 and Civics have LED lights that stand out because they are trying to make a statement: "we are technologically savvy." However, Lexus makes a different and more refined statement: Luxury is about having the simplicity and elegance of technology, not "bling"...
This is pretty much exactly how it is designed on the RX400H. Those LED taill lights stand out big time. Maybe Lexus is trying to make a statement with the RX400H though
Old 02-17-06, 05:49 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

frankly.. i think this is a waste of a thread. You should be able to distinguish LED's and Reg. Filament bulbs by how they turn on/off and even how they look. No point in removing the housing at all just my .02
Old 02-17-06, 08:16 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They personally don't look like LED's to me, but I saw another IS tonight, and when he applied the brakes, they lit up just like all the other LED's light up, so I'm inclined to say that yes they are actually LED's.

And not to be bashing the sales people on the board, but I picked up my car from JM Lexus in Margate, FL. I specifically asked my salesperson if the car came standard with HID's. He said yes. Well, I come back in a couple of hours to pick the car up after the PDI and since it was already starting to get dark, the lights automatically came on. He goes and tells me that that's the newer technology HID's that kinda have a yellowish white to them. So don't believe everything the sales people are telling you.
Old 02-17-06, 08:53 PM
JoelPirela
Driver School Candidate

Hey ECR, was that Todd at JM?

He mentioned the same thing to me and when I asked to give me that in writing and betting him $500 that the cars didn't come with HID standard, he said that they had an special arrangement with Lexus and all their cars (IS) came with HID direct from the factory. What a load of crap. Also they didn't bulge from MSRP and wanted me to pay for the car in full to guarantee availability..... say what!????

JP
Old 02-18-06, 08:49 PM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ihkskim
frankly.. i think this is a waste of a thread. You should be able to distinguish LED's and Reg. Filament bulbs by how they turn on/off and even how they look. No point in removing the housing at all just my .02

I think you are wasting your time. We are not.
Old 02-19-06, 12:34 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

come on guys...if you cant just see how the lights turn on and off then it shouldnt even matter to you if the lights are LEDs or not...

perhaps if people knew how LEDs worked then there wouldnt be so much confusion.
Old 02-19-06, 05:55 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JoelPirela
Hey ECR, was that Todd at JM?

He mentioned the same thing to me and when I asked to give me that in writing and betting him $500 that the cars didn't come with HID standard, he said that they had an special arrangement with Lexus and all their cars (IS) came with HID direct from the factory. What a load of crap. Also they didn't bulge from MSRP and wanted me to pay for the car in full to guarantee availability..... say what!????

JP
No, the guys name was Jay. I mean don't get me wrong the guy was really nice. It was a no pressure sale, but I picked up my car during the last week of December, so the place was rocking!! He didn't even try to push any of the packages, he was justing trying to dump what was on their lot. He did cut me a deal however. I told him I wanted Navi and didn't really need the ML audio. The only car they had on the lot in the color I wanted had both on it, so they just threw in the ML audio system at no cost (supposedly)
Old 02-19-06, 09:12 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is everybody satisfied that the tail lights are...

the Light Emitting Diode type? LED's will be seen more and more in auto lighting and even home and industrial lighting for the same reasons. The brake lights are also LED's. When you look into the amber lense of the turn signal you can see a bulb. That is what the parts guy is seeing in his computer monitor blow up picture of the assembly. The reverse lights are not the tail lights. So there is a combination of bulb/diodes used for lighting at the rear of the car. The tag frames are illuminated with two white LED's. The little ceiling spotlights in the interior are white LED's.(sometimes called blue LED's).

The standard headlights are Halogen bulbs. The foglights and high beam/daytime running lights are always Halogen. Optional with the Lux/Sport package are the BiXenon High Intensity Discharge low beams that have auto leveling and a steering feature that when turning at speed the headlamp on the side you are turning to will swivel in that direction and the other headlamp remains straight ahead. This gives a wider path of light in the direction you are turning. HID's also use less energy (30%)and make a light spectrum that is more like natural sunlight. There are 3 diferent reactions going on in the HID bulb and this combination gives off a brighter more natural spectrum light. The BiXenon low beam lowers its shield when the high beams are on and adds its light to the total making better high beam illumination as well.

Recently in our area the Police cars are equipped with the brightest red and blue lights on the top of the cruisers. These will almost blind you if you look directly at them. I'm not seeing the flares anymore because they wouldn't even show up against these newer light sources...BTW a diode only allows current to pass through in one direction so they won't work if the wires are crossed.

Rock
Old 02-19-06, 06:13 PM
Lenscap
Driver

From Lexus' Chief Engineer on Car & Driver's "Ask the Lexus Expert" forum dated 9/27/05:

Q) Do the new IS's employ LED brake lighting or conventional lamps? I await with much anticipation the rollout of these cars in mid-October. Thanks so much for addressing these questions and I look forward to your reply!
A) Yes, the new IS has standard LED tail lamps and brake lamps.

Quick Reply: LED Tail Lights