IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What is your stance/position on the DRL's on your IS 250/350?
I like DRL's and don't mind them ON.
65.85%
I hate DRL's and I want them turned OFF but haven't yet.
19.51%
I live in a juristriction where DRL's are required (e.g. Canada).
2.44%
I hate DRL's but my dealership REFUSED to turn them off.
5.23%
I hate DRL's and my dealership KINDLY turned them off.
6.97%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

On your IS 250/350, your thoughts on DRL's?

Old 02-15-06, 08:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Safety first. I would rather have it and everybody seeing me, rather than somebody turning into my lane and seeing "through" me. Believe me, I know - I ride a motorcycle!
Old 02-15-06, 12:35 PM
origin2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do live in Canada, where DRL's are not an option - they must be included on every new vehicle by LAW. Personally, however, I think they are one of the biggest safety features for an automobile, and I think all cars should be retro-fitted with them.

Reason: Dawn and Dusk

Something like 40% of collisions happen during these times, and many times because a driver cannot see the other car. Daytime running lights drastically reduce this risk and improve the safety of all on the road. They are especially helpful with many of today's "earthy" toned paints, such as the ubiquitious "camry taupe/beige" and other silver and "brown-y" colours as these cars can be difficult to see in many lighting conditions.

Personally, I drive with my headlights on at all times, even though the vehicle has DRL's - I find that the benefits far outweigh any drawbacks.

Last edited by origin2000; 02-15-06 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-15-06, 02:46 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I know I am in the minority here, but I would really like them turned off on mine. I wouldn't go so far as to say I "hate" DRLs, but I do think the dull yellow lights look blah, especially on a bright sunny day. I totally agree with the reasoning on Dusk and Dawn, hence, I have ALWAYS driven with my lights ON during those times. Heck, I even drive with my lights ON all day on cloudy, overcast days. However, at 1 pm, on a bright sunny day, I just don't see how a lack of DRLs would be the cause of a collision or a near miss. If people are having multiple near misses IN BROAD DAYLIGHT because the other car doesnt have DRL's, they have serious vision problems! Big pink letters on the front bumper that say "DON"T HIT ME" may be necessary for them.
Old 02-15-06, 02:46 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

I hate the DRL's on some American cars that seem to have the high beams on full blast. I've grown used to the DRL's on my IS and RX and actually think they are a great safety feature. I don't think they look stupid, unlike driving with fog lights on day and night.
Old 02-15-06, 05:02 PM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gone, stupid beaurocratic idea.

Which brings up airbags ....... I'd love to see the number of reduced injuries directly related to airbags and not better overall auto design to reduce collison impacts vs. totalled cars and increased insurance premiums due to airbag deployment in minor accidents.
Old 02-16-06, 06:20 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mtnduc
Gone, stupid beaurocratic idea.

Which brings up airbags ....... I'd love to see the number of reduced injuries directly related to airbags and not better overall auto design to reduce collison impacts vs. totalled cars and increased insurance premiums due to airbag deployment in minor accidents.
DRL's may have been a govt initiative, but I think it's pretty hard to argue that it's NOT easier to see a car with its lights on. It's just common sense, and in practice I've found it to be very true.

As for airbags... sure, insurance premiums may be higher. But I'd prefer that my face not hit the steering wheel if at all possible. I'll take the airbags.
Old 02-16-06, 02:19 PM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

DRL's are ludicrous on a bright and sunny day... ride with your high beams on if you are so concerned.
Old 02-16-06, 02:25 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broght my car to the dealership today to get the DRL disabled. They told me they couldn't disable it. Does anyone have an instructions so I can bring it to the dealer and have it disabled next week? Thanks in advance
Old 02-16-06, 02:47 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

Old 02-16-06, 03:02 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

from what ive learned slower cars on the highway get out of your way quicker bc they notice u faster....so i wont mind bc most of my driving is on the highway...
Old 02-17-06, 05:21 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nehal51086
from what ive learned slower cars on the highway get out of your way quicker bc they notice u faster....so i wont mind bc most of my driving is on the highway...
People need to move the F$#K over. I HATE the lazy *** driving style in this country. Everyone just plants themselves wherever they want and who cares about whatever's behind me. After driving in Europe, it becomes blazingly clear how poor the driving in this country is, and it's really hard to re-adapt. Sorry, rant over...
Old 02-17-06, 06:52 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m indifferent to the DRLs.

Look wise I would prefer the lower wider look (and to me sportier) of having DRLs down near our fog lights ipo using the high beams which are high up and towards the middle.

TripleL
Old 02-17-06, 07:05 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mofogasm

Thanks bro..
What do I need to tell them to do at the dealer to get this thing done? And what do you call this document so I can tell them monkey at the dealer?
Old 02-17-06, 07:33 AM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell them it is in their C-Best OBD program and they won't have a problem. I was the first guy to ask for it at my dealer earlier this week and once I said it was in C-Best they knew where to look.
Old 02-17-06, 07:34 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tim817
Thanks bro..
What do I need to tell them to do at the dealer to get this thing done? And what do you call this document so I can tell them monkey at the dealer?
They won't turn them off unless you get really lucky. It's too much of a liability if they do so, you get creamed at an intersection, and then decide maybe your dealer should have been smarter than you were and decide to sue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On your IS 250/350, your thoughts on DRL's?