Front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 08:35 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license plate

Is there no place for it on the IS350?

Also can someone post a pic of the IS350 with a Spoiler from the back?
Old 02-14-06, 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by dfw350
Is there no place for it on the IS350?

Also can someone post a pic of the IS350 with a Spoiler from the back?
?! yeah of course there is a place, you just need to drill holes in the front bumper
Old 02-14-06, 08:43 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Thumbs down doh

Originally Posted by rominl
?! yeah of course there is a place, you just need to drill holes in the front bumper
doh.. thats messed up..
Old 02-14-06, 09:06 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

hellz yeah, I'd rather live with the ticket!
Old 02-14-06, 09:17 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by dfw350
doh.. thats messed up..
It's like circumcision. Painful to even think about, but done (usually by the dealer) when the car is still a newborn, and then quickly forgotten.

Also, it's not as bad as it sounds. The dealer afixes a license plate mount that form fits to the bumper and is permanantly attached; it doesn't come off when you remove the plate.

Only downside is if you buy the car in a state that requires a front plate, and later move to a state that doesn't. In that case, you can't remove it for a cleaner look.
Old 02-14-06, 09:19 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
It's like circumcision. Painful to even think about, but done (usually by the dealer) when the car is still a newborn, and then quickly forgotten.

Also, it's not as bad as it sounds. The dealer afixes a license plate mount that form fits to the bumper and is permanantly attached; it doesn't come off when you remove the plate.
way to make an already painful idea even worse.
Old 02-14-06, 05:35 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Another reason I love Florida, don't need one here.
Old 02-14-06, 05:45 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Payam
Another reason I love Florida, don't need one here.

North Carloina doenst require one either....
Old 02-14-06, 06:11 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wid IS350
In NJ, I'd have to be able to afford all your cars to pay all the tickets I'd get in NJ with no front plate!
Old 02-14-06, 06:47 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You most certainly can remove the front plate bracket. Take your plate off. Then take the bracket off.
The only thing you are left with are 2 ugly holes where self tapping screws went it.

I still prefer the look of holes over the plate and bracket. In 14 years of driving without a front plate in CA, I have gotten 2 fix it tickets.
Old 02-14-06, 06:57 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Front plates are required in WA State, but I've been contemplating on removing it and leaving the two holes. If you're in a state which requires front plates and your car hasn't been delivered from the port yet, make sure you tell the dealer that when it comes in for dealer prep, NOT to put the front brackets on. Better yet, see if you can get the dealer to not even do the dealer prep. (Some people like taking the car as it is from the port).

But this is what my front plate looks like (minus the numbers):

I think most people will agree that the front plates totally break up the lines/curves. It's not TOO bad, but still...

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-14-06, 07:12 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wid IS350
It's tempting, but here in VA, front plates are required. There are enough improptu road checks that you would be guaranteed at least 1-2 tickets per year. Really ruins the aesthetics of some beautiful cars, though. Wish it were different. The frustrating thing for me is, I live just across the state line from TN, and if you can get it on the road, you can drive it. They don't even require yearly inspection stickers. So you will see all these POS cars falling apart on the road that only have a rear plate (and sometimes not even that, they will stick it in the rear window) and I have to ruin my beautiful 350 .
Old 02-14-06, 07:27 PM
saske
Rookie

Kermee,
I did exactly that. I called my dealer and told him two things, no prep and no license plate. Texas requires a front license plate but I knew I would be moving back to AZ on 2/15 which doesn't require a front plate. I got the car on 12/12. So, I haven't gotten a ticket yet and I am leaving TX tomorrow so things look good. I really don't think an officer would have ticketed me if I explained the situtation. If I would have gotten a fix it ticket, I would have used some two sided tape, went down to the court house and showed them I fixed it then removed it when I got home.
The funny thing is, states should understand their cost of license plate material would decrease 50% if they didn't require them. Anyway, my two cents and I am glad I don't have two holes in my bumper.
Old 02-14-06, 07:28 PM
xaden
Driver School Candidate

front plates are also required here in CA, but luckily my dealer didn't put the brackets on when i picked the car up, so my plan is to go front plate-free.... that is until i get a ticket. would be nice if the plate could be mounted under the bumper, but that would probably disrupt proper air flow right?
Old 02-14-06, 07:38 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

The bracket for the front plate on the IS is a lot better than the one that was on my S2000. I removed that one and filled the holes with some color matched plugs for that exact purpose. I wonder if Lexus makes something similar?

Quick Reply: Front license plate