IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer installed Clear paint guard

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 04:24 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer installed Clear paint guard

I need some opinions. When I bought my IS, I paid an extra $600 for the clear paint guard. At that time I asked them where it would be installed and they told me in all the major spots where you could get a rock chip. So I bought it. Today I dropped my Is off for the install. When I got it back, all I had was the small piece on the hood (where a traditional bra is) and some strips on the side mirrors. I was expecting the font bumper to be covered. Am I out of wack? Should I talk with my sales person???

$600 is an awful lot for a few feet of that film.
Old 01-31-06, 04:38 PM
erock901
Rookie

When I had a clear bra kit installed on my G35 it covered the front bumper, headlights, side view mirrors, small section of the front fenders and 18" of the hood for $635. So, yes, you should question your dealer about yours.
Old 01-31-06, 04:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definately talk to the dealer. "All the major spots where you can get a rock chip" includes the whole bumper, front of the hood, lights, and side mirrors. It seems that they did not protect "all the major spots"...
Old 01-31-06, 05:02 PM
upbull340
Pole Position

I started an earlier thread on this. When at the dealer they had installed the clear bra on several IS350s and did exactly what you speak of. Nothing on the front bumper. They said the material does not need to be applied to that area because it is plastic and the paint won't chip off.

I too am suspicious. Would like to understand their thinking. Can't paint on plastic get rock chips?
Old 01-31-06, 05:03 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by upbull340
I started an earlier thread on this. When at the dealer they had installed the clear bra on several IS350s and did exactly what you speak of. Nothing on the front bumper. They said the material does not need to be applied to that area because it is plastic and the paint won't chip off.

I too am suspicious. Would like to understand their thinking. Can't paint on plastic get rock chips?

I have 138 miles on my IS and when I was looking at the new bra on the hood, I found a pretty nasty rock chip on the front bumper.
Old 01-31-06, 05:05 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by upbull340

that's bs. i got rock chip within first week on my front bumper.
Old 01-31-06, 05:36 PM
ONEdirty23
Pole Position

Yes, just because its plastic doesn't mean the paint won't chip. I had chips within the first few hundred miles of my front bumper.
Old 01-31-06, 06:02 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

That's why I won't buy jack crap from a dealer with regard to accessories or "extras"........

You got ripped off.
Old 01-31-06, 07:37 PM
tjp
Rookie

Default I had the clear bra installed...

OK, I went through the Lexus dealer for the "Clear Armor". I paid $1,000. They installed it on the:
Hood
Complete front bumper
Side mirrors
The top of the rear bumper that runs along the trunk opening
The edge of the bottom rim of the gas cap access panel

So, I paid quite a bit more. But it looks like I got a complete job. I'm sure I could have saved some money by going directly to the installer. But, Oh well.
Old 01-31-06, 08:04 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Man, I’m kinda angry now, every time I look at it, I see this 12" deep strip about 3 feet long on the hood and tiny little cut outs on my mirrors and think that cost me $600.
Old 01-31-06, 08:23 PM
tjp
Rookie

Yeah, they really should have at least done the bumper for that price. I mean, the bumper is the biggest target for stone chips.
Old 02-01-06, 10:05 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Arrow Protect your paint with AeroTect!

AeroTect will protect your IS350 hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors & lights for under $500 installed. Call toll free for an appointment or information. (866) 388-AERO www.aerotect.net
Old 02-01-06, 10:33 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm contemplating getting Xpel/3M film installed. I like theirs, as it is laser cut, not sure about the others guys. I'd be concerned that non-laser products would look bad around items like headlight washers and park assist sensors.
Old 02-01-06, 11:19 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
I need some opinions. When I bought my IS, I paid an extra $600 for the clear paint guard. At that time I asked them where it would be installed and they told me in all the major spots where you could get a rock chip. So I bought it. Today I dropped my Is off for the install. When I got it back, all I had was the small piece on the hood (where a traditional bra is) and some strips on the side mirrors. I was expecting the font bumper to be covered. Am I out of wack? Should I talk with my sales person???

Sorry to hear this, but I think you need to go back and have a talk with them. Take a look at this site. It has what comes with the kit and pricing as well.

http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...=23&model=1375
Old 02-01-06, 11:30 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by y2ks2k

Looks like they saw you coming.... You should of asked what exactly would
be covered, You always have to question anything that is "dealer installed"...

Quick Reply: Dealer installed Clear paint guard