IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I pay MSRP for a IS AWD? HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-06, 02:45 PM
Mitch1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Should I pay MSRP for a IS AWD? HELP PLEASE

I am going to buy a Lexis IS AWD w/ Nav. and luxury package. I have only been in the dealer 1 time and he quoted me the MSRP price of $39,919 with no room to deal. I see other people getting $500, 1k and 2k off MSRP. Is the car going for MSRP or do I have room to deal? If so How much do you think I should ask off? The car is not in stock and there is only 1 dealer in Columbus, Ohio. Should I call other dealer in the state? Could someone please give me some HELP and GUIDANCE as to what type of price I should bring back to the dealer?= I just love the car and want to get into one but don't to pay more than I have too. MUCH THANKS!!!!
Old 01-28-06, 02:52 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mitch1988
I am going to buy a Lexis IS AWD w/ Nav. and luxury package. I have only been in the dealer 1 time and he quoted me the MSRP price of $39,919 with no room to deal. I see other people getting $500, 1k and 2k off MSRP. Is the car going for MSRP or do I have room to deal? If so How much do you think I should ask off? The car is not in stock and there is only 1 dealer in Columbus, Ohio. Should I call other dealer in the state? Could someone please give me some HELP and GUIDANCE as to what type of price I should bring back to the dealer?= I just love the car and want to get into one but don't to pay more than I have too. MUCH THANKS!!!!
Ask for anything off you want. The worst they can say is "no". Then you go from there.... it's just negotiation. If you're bad at it, you'll pay MSRP. If you're really good, then they might give you a small break. At the moment most people seem to be paying around MSRP.
Old 01-28-06, 04:28 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should definitely call around to see what else you can find.

what you pay for a car has more to do with how you feel about the deal than anything else.

i paid msrp. but i was able to get my car earlier than i normally would have and i believe i have a car configured unlike many others on the road today in my area. to me, that was worth paying for. if you feel like what you paid is equivalent to what you got and you feel good about the deal, that is what's important. i have purchased several cars in my life, many for under sticker, but i have never felt as good on any of them as i did with one. lots of people get $5k off and go home and feel terrible, they feel cheated. for the is350, i felt good about paying sticker and knowing that in this market, it could have been a lot higher (lots of other nicer vehicles have markups). never mind what the dealer made or the invoice or the resale value on day 2, if you take those into account, you'll never be happy.

what makes me happy is having the car i want, paying for what i can afford and not a penny more, and getting good value on my trade in. every day in life is different so the deal you make on monday, you may feel differently (for better or for worse) about it on tuesday, next month, or next year. if i lose my job tomorrow, i'm pretty sure i would start hating i paid msrp and wish i had started lower. that's why i'm working on paying off what little is left on this car as quickly as i can. that will save me many years of interest money which can somewhat equate to a discount in the long run. you can't compare your deal to the next guy's deal based on that day's transaction.

so what if someone else got $1,000 off. if they have an interest rate that is a couple of points higher than yours....there are lots of ways to gain value, you can ask for more on your trade-in (which is what i did so in effect, i didn't exactly pay msrp). do what you feel comfortable with and know that you are spending your money wisely (considering this is a depreciating asset). today, i would ask for a little off msrp but if you are getting a rather unique vehicle that is largely unavailable to you elsewhere, you may have to pay msrp...i wouldn't necessarily walk about from it (like some people who refuse to pay msrp in principle). i did it and i'm happy.
Old 01-28-06, 08:02 PM
maz
Lead Lap

I don't know about your area, but here in the SoCal area where the demand for these cars are very high, you can definitely find dealers that are willing to go 1-2k below MSRP. If your dealer isn't budging over the price no matter how much you negotiate, then find a dealer who will or wait a few months for prices to go down.
Old 01-28-06, 08:05 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by maz
demand for these cars are very high, you can definitely find dealers that are willing to go 1-2k below MSRP.
High Demand = No Discount
Old 01-28-06, 08:21 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by maz
I don't know about your area, but here in the SoCal area where the demand for these cars are very high, you can definitely find dealers that are willing to go 1-2k below MSRP. If your dealer isn't budging over the price no matter how much you negotiate, then find a dealer who will or wait a few months for prices to go down.
business classes
Old 01-28-06, 11:18 PM
Skyjumper
Driver School Candidate

In Nor-Cal most of the dealers are offering $750-1000 off MSRP without any effort beyond asking what the discount is. Not sure if they'll go further, yet.

Originally Posted by maz
Old 01-29-06, 11:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

look in state and out of state....if you're willing to go to NY, I know this guy will give you about $2000-$2500 off an AWD.....

Andy Tao
Lexus Of Manhattan 1(212)977-4400.. ext 210.

he's on this forum as D-MAN63......be sure to tell him you're a CLUBLEXUS member!
Old 01-29-06, 12:13 PM
maz
Lead Lap

My dealer sold 16 cars in 2 weeks. 15 of them were IS's. He was willing to knock off $1500 from MSRP. So demand is high, but not to the point where you can't get any discounts.
Old 01-30-06, 09:44 AM
cmhgreg
Driver School Candidate

Check your private mail.
Old 01-30-06, 09:55 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

I don't think the IS's are in such high demand, if it were the dealers
would be getting msrp for every single one...

I got mine in mid Nov, and they gave me $30,000 for my
2002 BMW 330cic.. Which every other dealer i went to
only offered me $27,000-28,000 for it.. Plus they gave me $500
off of msrp.. They claimed they only gave me $30,000
for my car because they really took 2,000 of off Msrp, which
i believe since my car was only in the gavles book for
about $28,000.. So i basically got anywhere from $1,500-$2,500
off of msrp.. (the way i see it)..

If your not good at negoiating, just walk in and say I'm sorry
my friend from another state paid this amount for the same
car and thats all im willing to pay , then say,, don't answer me
now, just think it over for a few days and if you can do this for me
i'd appreciate it, then walk out..
Old 01-30-06, 11:25 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no way you should pay msrp for awd. i see so many here in at the local dealer.
Old 01-30-06, 12:35 PM
krs71
Rookie

the dealer in CT is giving 2k off and prestige lexus has a matador red one in, and should get 2k off if not more. They are also getting in a white one soon...