Then you chose poorly.
Old 02-03-06, 10:53 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Langdell
I chose XM because of Howard Stern.
Howard Stern is on Sirius.

I don't like XM because Clear Channel Communications has significant ownership interest in them. They already own WAY too many terrestrial radio stations, I'd rather give my money to the other guys.
Old 02-03-06, 10:54 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will def. post pics after it gets installled. They werent 100% sure where the antenna will be installed, but they were quite sure it would not be a sharkfin.

The XM was negotiated as part of the original purchase back in November.

I've actually been an XM subscriber for about a year now and am very happy with the service. Back then when I was trying to decide which service to go with, I had read a few reviews and most seemed to prefer XM. Another factor was that Sirius was a much smaller player back then, especially since that was a before Stern signed with Sirius. I am no fan of Stern, so that is not even an issue for me. I listen to the music and sports talk channels. I have friends that have Sirius and the music selection is pretty equivelant to XM. If Stern is not an issue, I would take a close look at the channel offerings and decide which has the most channels that appeal to you personally. If you are a big Stern fan, then Sirius is the no-brainer choice.
Old 02-03-06, 11:02 AM
saske
Rookie

Default Clear Channel and XM?

Originally Posted by Bichon

I don't like XM because Clear Channel Communications has significant ownership interest in them. They already own WAY too many terrestrial radio stations, I'd rather give my money to the other guys.
Bichon,
I was curious where you heard that Clear Channel has a stake in XM?
I'm pretty sure that isn't the case but I may be wrong and would like to read up on that. Thanks,
Sean
Old 02-03-06, 11:12 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by saske
Bichon,
I'm pretty sure that isn't the case but I may be wrong and would like to read up on that. Thanks,
Sean
I've seen it mentioned in various articles that I've read in both in print and online. This one, which is old enough that it may no longer be accurate, claims that they have a 13% stake: http://www.enquirer.com/editions/200...nels_wide.html
Old 02-03-06, 11:13 AM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Yes, I know.
Old 02-03-06, 11:17 AM
Cypren
Driver

Ugh. Thinking about Howard Stern always gives me knots in my stomach. Puts me between a rock and a hard place -- I think the guy's disgusting, but I'm even more disgusted with the FCC regulations that censored him (big 1st Amendment fan here). So it's hard to decide whether to get Sirius and make a statement in favor of freedom of speech, or get XM because I think the guy's an ******* and don't want to put money in his pocket. =)
Old 02-03-06, 11:35 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Langdell
Yes, I know.
I think everyone missed Langdell's joke. He chose XM because of Howard Stern. Not everyone here is a Howard Stern fan.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-03-06, 11:41 AM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by Kermee
I think everyone missed Langdell's joke. He chose XM because of Howard Stern. Not everyone here is a Howard Stern fan.

Cheers,
Kermee

Bingo, Kermee!

Each to his own. Many people obviously like H.S. I'm not one of them. It was enough of a reason for me to choose XM when I decided to give satellite radio a try. (Just picked up a $20 Roady 2 last week and am looking forward to hearing how it sounds piped through the IS350's aux. input. If I decide I like XM well enough, I may later decide to get an actual install in the car.)
Old 02-03-06, 12:02 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A local car audio and alarm business told me they have done several XM to factory Lexus radio installs, but none on an IS yet. They used a Terk XM reciever and Terk Pioneer XM radio adapter. Since the IS's radio is made by Pioneer (stock and ML) maybe it would work in the IS also.
Old 02-03-06, 01:13 PM
consult350
Driver School Candidate

Bichon,
Sean
FYI - ALL / EVERY Music channel on XM is from a CC programed channel and or directed by a CC list or program. CC is the number one investor in XM. IMHO not good or bad just giving you the inside story.

Personaly switched to Sirius and never looked back when it came to music programming/selections .
Old 02-03-06, 02:15 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I read that if you are located in the northern half of the US that Sirius would give better reception due to the location of their satellites. Anyone hear different?
Old 02-03-06, 05:18 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

I purchased the XM Receiver and fit kit today and will have a co-worker install it early next week. The antenna is black and rather small (1-1/2 inches x 1 inch) and gets installed (placed) on the windshield behind the rearview mirror.

The receiver was $199.00 and the fit kit was $99.00

IS350 (Tungsten Pearl) with Mark Levinson
Old 02-03-06, 05:25 PM
saske
Rookie

Foxberry,
My dealer called and said it arrived today. Hopefully I can get an appointment for Monday to have it installed.

Lexus x 2,
Thanks for the antenna info. Sounds like a great solution to the old "ugly black box" that I saw on the GS the other day. Do you have the installation instructions? I would love to take a look at them since the only instructions I have seen are for the the LX and those had the antenna mounted on the roof.

Thanks again guys!
Old 02-03-06, 06:42 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Foxberry,
My dealer called and said it arrived today. Hopefully I can get an appointment for Monday to have it installed.

Lexus x 2,
Thanks for the antenna info. Sounds like a great solution to the old "ugly black box" that I saw on the GS the other day. Do you have the installation instructions? I would love to take a look at them since the only instructions I have seen are for the the LX and those had the antenna mounted on the roof.

Thanks again guys!
Unfortuantely I don't have any install instructions. There was a sticker on the box that says to get the instructions from TIS (Techincal Information System) http://techinfo.lexus.com/

I could not find anything yet, but will keep checking back. You have to create an account and pay per day or per month to access the site.

Quick Reply: Lexus XM Dealer Install