IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oh no- check engine light and check VSC

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 11:20 AM
terp05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another IS250AWD to add to this list. Happened on the way to work this morning- Check engine light, Check VSC in the display box and no skid warning light. I'll update when I get an explanation.
Old 10-26-06, 01:45 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

How quickly we forget.

Click here for IS250 TSB info on this exact issue.

And for all the IS350 owners, there is nothing, repeat, nothing regarding the IS350 oxygen sensor.
Old 10-26-06, 05:30 AM
terp05
Driver

I saw that post with the TSB and while my VIN does fall into the range of those indicated, I am unaware what codes are being thrown so at this point I can't say if this is definitely the problem. I figured I would post anyway to a) indicate another person has experienced a similar problem and b) provide the info that I get from the dealer when it is fixed.
Old 11-30-06, 08:49 AM
totoro1224
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am one of those lucky guy, I guess, it happened to my IS250 this morning after starting my car for like 5 seconds..... Just got to work and read all the comment with this thread. Probably go check out my gas cap first, then see if that is the problem. =(
Old 11-30-06, 12:01 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

This was a very interesting read.

I have an 07 IS350 with 6k miles on it. Not a peep or hiccup out of the engine.
Old 12-01-06, 12:04 PM
daned
Driver School Candidate

Have the same issue, 2006 IS250 6 months old, 7000 miles, I got the check engine light 3 weeks back and that was maybe leaving the cap loose issue as the service center said to see for a few days, it went out the next day. Now just yesterday had the same issue agan only thi time the dealorship wanted to check the issue. Seems nothing is wrong and they resetted the light. Said there is a TSB out and lexus is working on the issue of a software tcu update.
Was told if it happens again than they would need to look further.

any suggestions?
Old 12-21-06, 08:31 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I just got my 350 back for a CEL and check VSC warning. After them keeping my car for 3 days, they came back and told me that I had a cracked gas cap that was causing the problem. They replaced the cap and the lights went out.
Old 12-26-06, 04:20 PM
bigworm
Driver School Candidate

Add me to the list . The check vsc light came on along with the skid warning(explanation point light), and the check engine. I have a 2006 250awd with 6600 miles. This is the **** that bothers you with high tech computer cars. You know you can't fix it yourself, so you need to bring it to the service so they can plug it in. I will let you guys know what they tell me.

It did happen when my gas was very low. I filled up, screwed on the cap tight, and the light is still on.

I almost want to just disconnect the battery to see if the light does not return. I hope lexus will solve the problem.

later
Old 12-26-06, 05:09 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

After getting my car back from service, I'm happy that the CEL/check VSC lights are out, but it kinda makes me wonder.

So far we've heard reasons like, faulty O2 sensors, gas caps, etc, which may all be valid reasons, my I'm just wondering how any of this is related to a problem related to the VSC system?? I could see the CEL coming on for the O2 sensor and even the gas cap, but the VSC?? It doesn't compute. Next thing you know they're gonna tell us that the ABS isn't working because I'm low on washer fluid.

Maybe it's just me.
Old 12-26-06, 05:17 PM
bigworm
Driver School Candidate

Well, I just went out to check a few things with the car. I smelled the oil on the dipstick, and I thought it smelled like gas . I checked it again, and said yeah, I think it does.

I then went over to the S2000 to smell its mobil 1 oil. No bad gas smell there(great car )

I had the oil changed on the lexus at 5k miles. This has me a little worried. Gas in the engine oil could had very bad effects on the ability on the oil to lubricate the engine. I will call lexus first thing tomorrow, and let you guys know what I find out.

Does anyone know if gas is less dense than mineral car oil? I wonder this because if it is you could smell it on the dipstick because the stick would enter at the top of the gas/oil mixture. If gas is in the engine, it should float to the top and be detectable by its smell.
Old 12-26-06, 05:20 PM
bigworm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ecr527
After getting my car back from service, I'm happy that the CEL/check VSC lights are out, but it kinda makes me wonder.

So far we've heard reasons like, faulty O2 sensors, gas caps, etc, which may all be valid reasons, my I'm just wondering how any of this is related to a problem related to the VSC system?? I could see the CEL coming on for the O2 sensor and even the gas cap, but the VSC?? It doesn't compute. Next thing you know they're gonna tell us that the ABS isn't working because I'm low on washer fluid.

Maybe it's just me.
You are right, what do these problems have to do with the VSC system? Damn these computers!!!!!
Old 12-26-06, 06:30 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I'm going to try calling Lexus tomorrow and see what kind of answer I could get out of them.
Old 12-28-06, 05:23 PM
bigworm
Driver School Candidate

Here is the update. I took the is250 awd in so they could figure out why the vsc light is on. They did confirm that there was gas in the engine oil( I also smelled it on the dipstick before I took it in), so they changed the oil. They told me I need to drive the car each day, which we do . It seems like I am just going to wait for the lights to come back on so I can drive another 40 minutes to have them fix a new car. I will demand more answers the next time it happens. Just think how bad gas in the oil can be for the longevity og the engine's internals.

This is my first luxury car that is completely controlled by the computer, and right now I kinda wish I had my 94 civic. That car ran for ever, and if it had gas in the oil, I never knew about it!! Maybe too much computer info and diagnostics is a bad thing to have in a car. And to think I bought this car over a BMW because I herd that german cars can have electrical gremlins. Oh well

Don't get me wrong. I really love the car (almost, I said almost, as much as the S2k), but reliability was a major factor in us purchasing the lexus over other brands.
Old 01-10-07, 06:22 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

My light and check vsc came on this afternoon also. So I called the dealer and they asked me if I got gas today (I got gas in the morning) so they told me to tighten the gas cap and drive it for 200 miles. So I turned the car off, took off the gas cap and reinstalled it. Started the car back up and the lights were off.
Old 01-10-07, 08:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

They tell you that because it is the most common cause of a CEL. It may still come back, and personally, I wouldn't take that route. I'd ask to see the code so I can know if it is an evap emissions fault or something else. They just had you do that because it's simple, quick, and common.

Connecting a scan tool takes all of about a minute total to read a set code, and even a cheap scan tool will be able to tell you if it's the evap system.

Quick Reply: Oh no- check engine light and check VSC