IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

PICS...IS350 on 20x8.5 and 20x10 rims !

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-06, 06:53 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Best looking wheels I have seen yet... awesome!
Old 01-29-06, 06:21 AM
pumper
Rookie

Originally Posted by tim817
I notice that i have a lil rub inside the front wheelwell when i make a hard turn. I was aware of that problem thou. I wanted +38 offset but they only have +40 on that rims. Plus i rather have a lil rub on the inside than having rub on the outside of the fender and wheels sticking out. These rims i plan to have it for a year or two just to test with the car being drop soon. Later i'll get a nice perfect one for this car.
If they're already rubbing, what's gonna happen when you lower the car?

pumper
Old 02-15-06, 10:44 AM
sanwong
Driver

Originally Posted by tim817
Whoohoo

I just had these put on today. They look real nice. I start having good compliments on the wheels already . They are Zenetti Five 20x8.5 with +40 offset front and 20x10 with +43 offset rear. Tires are Nitto 555 235/35/20F and 275/30/20R. Be careful when you guys buy wheel for the IS350 because you will need a lot clearance for the front break. Not all of them will fit. Don't order the wheels unless you know they will fit or else you have to end up paying restocking fees for the rims. Just go to the wheel shop and tell them just to put the rims only on the front 1st before mouting the tires on.
I will get a drop once the springs come out. Can't wait.

Front wheel pic:

Rear wheel. Notice that there're not a lot of room between the tire and fender. Nice....

A straight side pic to show you guys that the wheel and tires are flush with the fender. That took me a lot of research in here. Thanks for all the help in here

Rear pic. Notice the fat tire on the bottom?

First of all I wanted to compliment you on your choice of wheels!!!Very nice and definatly classy!!!!! What did you do about your air pressure sensors?
Old 02-15-06, 11:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my .02...

they're too much...too big and too much flash/chrome....
if the photochop pics are close to the look you want, again, too slammed for me.

but if you like the look...more power to you.
Old 02-15-06, 01:17 PM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the oversize rims are good if all you are going to do is street cruise. However, if you ever do a track day you'll be in deep ******!
Most people never think about the effects of handling and braking when complicated by oversize rims and tires. Generally, the oversize diameter also means increased weight/mass which actually slows down acceleration, makes your suspension work harder and increases brake wear.
Throw in a siginficant suspension drop without correspondingly stiffer springs and you'll be rubbing your tires in every hard turn. Now of course, you can probably add stiff enough springs where this will not happen but, then your everyday ride quality will be like sitting on a 2x4.
Old 02-15-06, 01:48 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnduc
I guess the oversize rims are good if all you are going to do is street cruise. However, if you ever do a track day you'll be in deep ******!
Most people never think about the effects of handling and braking when complicated by oversize rims and tires. Generally, the oversize diameter also means increased weight/mass which actually slows down acceleration, makes your suspension work harder and increases brake wear.
Throw in a siginficant suspension drop without correspondingly stiffer springs and you'll be rubbing your tires in every hard turn. Now of course, you can probably add stiff enough springs where this will not happen but, then your everyday ride quality will be like sitting on a 2x4.
the suspension suspends the cars body above the ground what does the wheels have anything to do with stressing it.

With wider and stickier tires his braking is going to be stronger over stock so you might not have to push on the brakes as hard or as long as before

any weight additions the chrome wheels added can be made up in the added traction over stock sizes if he wants to gun it

so its not all bad. I think it looks good, wheel gap is eliminated, the design of the wheels isnt ugly its simple, im a fan of classic 5 spoke designs, the color of the car goes great with the wheels
Old 02-15-06, 04:02 PM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=4TehNguyen]the suspension suspends the cars body above the ground what does the wheels have anything to do with stressing it.

** Wrong -- the cars body is held up by the frame it is called sprung weight . The suspension is effected by tire & wheel weight as well as the weight of the body. The tire moves up and down on the suspension not the body and is called unsprung weight. Otherwise your ride would be like a pogo stick.

With wider and stickier tires his braking is going to be stronger over stock so you might not have to push on the brakes as hard or as long as before

** Wrong -- You have failed to calculate in the effects of spinning mass on braking and steering forces. For example: if you add 1lb to your rims and tires when they are spinning the amount is multiplied exponentially. Hold a 1lb weight in your hand, not that heavy. Now put that sucker on a string and watch it pull you around as you twirl it like a lasso. Don't try this indoors.

any weight additions the chrome wheels added can be made up in the added traction over stock sizes if he wants to gun it

** Wrong -- The larger diameter, heavier tire and wheel has increased mass and therefore takes addl horsepower and time to get it moving. Chrome is not the issue here, it's the weight the increased size adds.

** All basic physics type stuff! When was the last time you saw any performance vehicle add weight to the wheels to increase speed or handling. BBS rims are very light weight. In fact some roadrace teams use carbon fiber to decrease rotating mass and improve handling, braking and accerleration
Old 02-15-06, 04:24 PM
junes IS
Pole Position

hey varok what wheels are those in your car
Old 02-15-06, 04:26 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim, I usually am not a big fan of mixing chrome with light colored
cars, but you pulled it off! I think it looks great, Its def not too ghetto..
I would not drop it, I'm surprised the car looks as low as it does.
If you feel the need to drop it at all, just try to find springs that
only drop it by 0.5", no more than that..