IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Red-out taillights and spoiler PICS...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 07:26 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more thing, it's just like some people like white cars, some like black cars, some like red, some like green, some like pink, some like purple...hahahahah.
Old 01-08-06, 07:30 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people see their car as an extention of our personality, and we reflect that by personalizing them to our taste .
Old 01-09-06, 12:29 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I agree, all red is cleaner, but by the same reason, why NOT red-out the white reverse tail lights? Sure it may have a nominal impact on rear visibility, but that's what the nav back-up cam is for
Old 01-09-06, 04:21 AM
berg7445
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
I agree, all red is cleaner, but by the same reason, why NOT red-out the white reverse tail lights? Sure it may have a nominal impact on rear visibility, but that's what the nav back-up cam is for

I am pretty sure it is illegal to red out the reverse lights. The lights aren't for your benefit, but the people behind you that know that you are backing up. I woiuld highly recommend not doing this. Plus, I don't see how it would impact rear visibility since you would still be able to see out the back window, it would not be affected.
Old 01-09-06, 06:32 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

So this is a sticker that covers the amber section? I wonder how well they hold up to car washes? Also, once the amber is covered in red the turn signal becomes red as well?
Old 01-09-06, 06:50 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jherb350
Some people see their car as an extention of our personality, and we reflect that by personalizing them to our taste .
I understand the general concept of modding a car - it just puzzles me that this mod is so popular. When you do this, does the turn light actually flash red, or can you still see the orange through the red tape, when the turn signal is activated?
Old 01-09-06, 07:42 AM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Tim used red vinyl. I'm gonna red out my tails as well once it gets warmer.
Old 01-09-06, 08:20 AM
tim817
Intermediate

They do flash red when the light is activate. I'm still amazing how that lil vinyl work on the taillight. At 1st i thought it's not gonna look good but just want to try and see since they're cheap and if i don't like it, it's very easy to remove. I wouldn't red out the reverse section because i think it will actually dim the reverse light, even i think backup camera will need a lot of light to see at night.:d
Old 01-09-06, 08:37 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tim817
They do flash red when the light is activate. I'm still amazing how that lil vinyl work on the taillight. At 1st i thought it's not gonna look good but just want to try and see since they're cheap and if i don't like it, it's very easy to remove. I wouldn't red out the reverse section because i think it will actually dim the reverse light, even i think backup camera will need a lot of light to see at night.:d
Part of why I like orange turn signals is that they help to differentiate between the brake and the turn signal. If you are in a position where you can only see one tail light of a car in front of you (such as, the car is one lane over from you in heavy traffic), then it is much easier to tell the difference between braking and turning signals when you have orange for turning. Another thing is that the front turn signals are stil orange, so I like the consistency - orange lights mean turning, on the front and on the back.

This mod may be illegal in certain states. Some states indicate that you are not allowed to cover any required light (headlight, taillight, turn signal, backup light) with any sticker or other material. Please make sure you know the laws of your state before you modify any part of your car.

Last edited by diablo1; 01-10-06 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Found info that this mod might be illegal in certain states
Old 01-09-06, 10:23 AM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tim817
I didn't have to take out the taillights. It was very easy to do. Make sure you do it in a warm day, the result will be much better. At 1st you might have a lil bubles, but after a while they will start to disappear. I only have to wrap only the amber part of the taillights. The important step is trimming to make them look perfect around the line between the amber and red part of the lights
so you only applied the vinyl to the amber part of the taillights? how does the vinyl stick to the taillights? i'm wondering how it will hold up to car washes and rain.
Old 01-09-06, 10:25 PM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

The amber ---> red mod is very nice but there is one thing that im wondering. does it signal clearly?
Old 01-09-06, 11:09 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEED&ECO.
The amber ---> red mod is very nice but there is one thing that im wondering. does it signal clearly?
The color match is perfect when the blinker isn't lit, but I'm curious how well the color matches the rest of the taillight when signalling. I'd like to see a photo of it illuminated.
Old 01-10-06, 12:26 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1
Part of why I like orange turn signals is that they help to differentiate between the brake and the turn signal. If you are in a position where you can only see one tail light of a car in front of you (such as, the car is one lane over from you in heavy traffic), then it is much easier to tell the difference between braking and turning signals when you have orange for turning. Another thing is that the front turn signals are stil orange, so I like the consistency - orange lights mean turning, on the front and on the back.

But, this is a perfectly legal mod, so if all you guys like it that much, it's cool with me. Don't mess with the backup lights though - those definitely have to be white!

you sure its 50 state legal? it would suck if your 'cool' mod meant youre not going to pass inspection.
Old 01-10-06, 05:40 AM
berg7445
Rookie

Originally Posted by digital_b
you sure its 50 state legal? it would suck if your 'cool' mod meant youre not going to pass inspection.
I think it is a safe assumption that modding the turn signals to red is safe becuase there are many cars out there today that have red turn signals and not yellow signals. How would this mod be any different than an OEM car with red turn signals? I don't think it really is.
Old 01-10-06, 07:34 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by berg7445
I think it is a safe assumption that modding the turn signals to red is safe becuase there are many cars out there today that have red turn signals and not yellow signals. How would this mod be any different than an OEM car with red turn signals? I don't think it really is.
It is definitely legal to have a car that has either red or amber lights in OEM condition. However, what may be illegal is modding the lights from their original condition. I did a quick search and found this in the Vehicle Equipment Regulations for the state of Virginia:

Covers, including those with emblems, names or designs cannot be installed over any required or approved lamp, light or lens unless equipped as standard factory equipment.

So this would seem to indicate that this mod is actually illegal in Virginia. As for other states, I guess you will have to do the research for your specific state.

Quick Reply: Red-out taillights and spoiler PICS...