IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sirius/XM factory IS install in the works yet?

Old 01-06-06, 09:01 AM
consult350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius/XM factory IS install in the works yet?

Just wanting to know if any one put Sirius in an IS yet.
Old 01-06-06, 10:10 AM
vp911
Pit Crew

I was told it is not available yet. Isn't that the case?
Old 01-06-06, 10:52 AM
consult350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vp911
I was told it is not available yet. Isn't that the case?
No it is not available yet. The question is when will it be available as a factory installed option.
That is, when will it be available without mounting the antenna on the trunk like on the gs.

I will not buy until this fin is installed and completed.

Any news besides the "Spring"
Old 01-06-06, 11:22 AM
Lenscap
Driver

Sirius and XM will be available as port- or dealer-installed accessories within the next several months.

XM will most likely become available as factory-installed on the IS beginning with the 2007 models. I say most likely because that is when Toyotas and Lexuses will get the XM factory option, but I do not know for a fact that the IS will be one of those vehicles (although I'm fairly sure it will be). According to XM's 3rd quarter financial statement issued on October 27, 2005, Toyota/Lexus will see a lot of factory installs in the 2007 model year.

Sirius will not be factory installed as Toyota/Lexus signed an exclusive agreement with XM about one year ago for factory installs.

consult350 - I'm with you. I planned on getting an IS 350 but am now holding off until the 2007s arrive. I am hoping that Lexus sees the light and adds the shark fin antenna used on the Japanese market IS. The fact that competing cars like the 3 Series have a shark fin should tell Lexus that it needs to be added, both because of its function and because it looks cool.
Old 01-06-06, 12:13 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

March is when you can goto your Lexus dealership and ask for the Sirius radio to be installed.

Not sure why you guys want the shark fin, just adds more drag.
Old 01-06-06, 12:17 PM
consult350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gshb
March is when you can goto your Lexus dealership and ask for the Sirius radio to be installed.

Not sure why you guys want the shark fin, just adds more drag.
Simple answer.....It's Better than a piece of coal or hocky puck on the trunk lid.
Old 01-06-06, 12:22 PM
consult350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lenscap
Sirius and XM will be available as port- or dealer-installed accessories within the next several months.

XM will most likely become available as factory-installed on the IS beginning with the 2007 models. I say most likely because that is when Toyotas and Lexuses will get the XM factory option, but I do not know for a fact that the IS will be one of those vehicles (although I'm fairly sure it will be). According to XM's 3rd quarter financial statement issued on October 27, 2005, Toyota/Lexus will see a lot of factory installs in the 2007 model year.

Sirius will not be factory installed as Toyota/Lexus signed an exclusive agreement with XM about one year ago for factory installs.

consult350 - I'm with you. I planned on getting an IS 350 but am now holding off until the 2007s arrive. I am hoping that Lexus sees the light and adds the shark fin antenna used on the Japanese market IS. The fact that competing cars like the 3 Series have a shark fin should tell Lexus that it needs to be added, both because of its function and because it looks cool.

If XM/Lexus signed an exclusive deal then why does most Lexus dealers have both Sirius and XM material in their showrooms. I have been told we will have choice of either Sirius or XM.

I don't get it. Lexus missing the boat on this one by not haveing it ready to go on the IS from the start.
Old 01-06-06, 12:42 PM
Lenscap
Driver

The 2006s will soon offer your choice of Sirius or XM, either as port- or dealer-installed (it must be added after the car leaves the factory). The 2007s will still offer Sirius as port- or dealer-installed, but XM will be available as factory-installed (meaning the car will have it built in at the factory just like any other factory option). Here is the release from December 2004 detailing the Toyota/XM agreement:

http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/scre...004_12_07.html

The exclusive XM deal is for factory installations. Sirius will still be offered as a port- or dealer-installed accessory.

I agree that Lexus is moving too slow on this. When I mentioned the fact that cars like the Honda Accord and Civic offer XM as standard equipment to the Lexus brass at Taste of Lexus, I was told if it is that important then I should go buy a Honda. I love Lexus but that was an arrogant statement.
Old 01-06-06, 01:08 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by consult350
Simple answer.....It's Better than a piece of coal or hocky puck on the trunk lid.
I dont think it will be on the trunk lid. Most likely it will be placed on the parcel shelf in the rear. In any case, my interior is black so it will blend in =).
Old 01-06-06, 02:40 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sirius antennas are usually mounted....

on the inside of the Windshield glass at the top so you don't see any trunk lid square antenna or any roof fin either. The XM antenna can be a distraction visually and we usually put them inside on the rear parcel shelf next to the sub woofer. The port installs the XM to the driver's side of the trunk and that gives the best look at the sky but adds an unsightly bump to the trunk lid. Both are coming in the Spring.

Rock
Old 01-06-06, 03:12 PM
Lenscap
Driver

Rockville - Any info as to what type of antenna will come with the factory-installed XM in the 2007s?
Old 01-08-06, 02:35 PM
blkIS350
Driver

I just ordered my IS350 yesterday with Sirius satellite factory installed. It cost $486.00 and that comes with everything needed to receive the music and would even have several months of service for free.
Old 01-08-06, 02:36 PM
vp911
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by blkIS350
I just ordered my IS350 yesterday with Sirius satellite factory installed. It cost $486.00 and that comes with everything needed to receive the music and would even have several months of service for free.
I thought sirius would not come factory installed?
Old 01-08-06, 02:55 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by consult350
I don't get it. Lexus missing the boat on this one by not haveing it ready to go on the IS from the start.
Would it make you feel better if they delayed the whole IS launch for satellite?
Old 01-08-06, 09:32 PM
tripple
Driver School Candidate

Default sirius radio lx 470

Recently purchased lx470 with SIRIUS INSTALLED...only problem can not initiate service .
Directions in Lexus manual are for Xm activation. Since car was brought over from another dealer no one at the local dealership can set up...need help[COLOR=Red]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sirius/XM factory IS install in the works yet?