IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Snow chain

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 11:00 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Snow chain

i'm going to taho and need to buy snow chain. they only place that i can find the one for our car is at the dealer.. it's gonna cost me just a bit over 110. i need people's help especially from the east coast. where did you guys order your chains from??

thanks
Old 01-03-06, 08:09 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

no one can help me out on this ???
Old 01-03-06, 10:23 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Around the Northeast chains are never required to be able to pass through roads like they are on the west coast. I know you guys have those chain inspection sites set up on certain roadways.
Old 01-03-06, 10:26 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

cuz i don't want to go up and get stop by the inspector.

how are the stock tires run on snow??

i have weird dreams that tires are not grippy enough and car will slip off the road
Old 01-03-06, 12:46 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

Better check the owner's manual on chain compatibility. FYI summer tires suck bad in the snow. Even on my AWD STi it is scary. Check with Les Schwab.
Old 01-03-06, 01:46 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
Better check the owner's manual on chain compatibility. FYI summer tires suck bad in the snow. Even on my AWD STi it is scary. Check with Les Schwab.
what is Les Schwab??

thanks
Old 01-03-06, 02:07 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

if you are going to be doing a lot of snow driving in your 350 i would suggest a second set of 17 inch wheels with a larger sidewall and some snow tires.
Old 01-03-06, 02:51 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mofogasm
if you are going to be doing a lot of snow driving in your 350 i would suggest a second set of 17 inch wheels with a larger sidewall and some snow tires.
this will be my first time driving up and probably 1 a year.

even if it snows hard i would still need some snow chains. no one got the chain yet in the east ??
Old 01-03-06, 03:25 PM
Jhoo
Rookie

I would rent a SUV w/ 4x4. That way no chains required and you dont have to worry about trashing your own ride. The weekend warriors suck driving on snow in Tahoe too, so most likely itll be someone kindly running into you. Think of how bad it is with all the rain on the roads now down south up through the central valley and into the Sierras. Im down towards Sac and have seen and hit so many pot holes that Im keeping the 350 in the garage and driving the SUV, until the road crews repair this mess. Play it safe, keep the miles low on the 350 and ride in a big comfy SUV. That way when the s#!t goes down your 350 is at home just as you left it when you return. Also have you considered how many rocks, sand and crushed lava are going to hurled at your new paint job? No shame in renting for the weekend my friend.

Last edited by Jhoo; 01-03-06 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-03-06, 09:33 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by shaolin
what is Les Schwab??

thanks
I think he's related to Earl Schieb who will paint any car for $99.00
Old 01-04-06, 07:03 AM
SilverBolt
Driver

Les Schwab is a very large tire/wheel chain on the west coast. Google it.
Old 01-04-06, 07:24 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

shaolin,

Have you driven this before in another car? When I worked in Carson City and drove through the interstate pass by Tahoe over on my way to visit my brother in Los Gatos (this was 1992 / 93) we got a huge storm with 10 ft+ of base. Chains were required even on the freeway.

I had a new car then and had no chains, so I pulled off and just before the snowline there were several shops with a HUGE selection of chains. Off to the side going up the mountain, and again coming down were teams of guys called 'chain monkeys' that would strap your chains on for you when you pulled off to the side.

It was pretty effective & easy and I had no problems or damage. BUT this was 15 years ago and understand wanting to make sure you have the right set with you. I'd echo the 'rent a 4x4' comment another member made just to be sure.
Old 01-04-06, 08:16 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
shaolin,

Have you driven this before in another car? When I worked in Carson City and drove through the interstate pass by Tahoe over on my way to visit my brother in Los Gatos (this was 1992 / 93) we got a huge storm with 10 ft+ of base. Chains were required even on the freeway.

I had a new car then and had no chains, so I pulled off and just before the snowline there were several shops with a HUGE selection of chains. Off to the side going up the mountain, and again coming down were teams of guys called 'chain monkeys' that would strap your chains on for you when you pulled off to the side.

It was pretty effective & easy and I had no problems or damage. BUT this was 15 years ago and understand wanting to make sure you have the right set with you. I'd echo the 'rent a 4x4' comment another member made just to be sure.
thanks for your comment.. the most likely is that we just might get a rental..... i'm just not that sure of purchasing a chain just over a bill and it's not even made by lexus...

thanks

shaolin
Old 01-04-06, 09:19 AM
mofogasm
Pole Position

if you purchase chains from those "chain monkeys" now they will charge you at least 100 dollars for chains and install. AT LEAST
Old 01-04-06, 10:19 AM
SilverBolt
Driver

Originally Posted by shaolin
thanks for your comment.. the most likely is that we just might get a rental..... i'm just not that sure of purchasing a chain just over a bill and it's not even made by lexus...

thanks

shaolin
Lexus does not make chains.

Quick Reply: Snow chain