IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 05:50 PM
jrudley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Payam
If you go back to the first page of this thread, you have all the pictures you need there. Once you pull out your nav unit, you will understand. There is on wire you need to ground, and two wires you need to cut and splice together, it's actually really simple.
Actually, are those the wires that need cut and spliced together?
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving-wire.jpg  
Old 01-02-06, 06:27 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

I do not plan on doing this mod because I am worried about the risk.; for me, based on my personal needs, the risk out weighs the benefits. However, if there comes a less "permenant" override to allow me to access my phone book and transfer a call from the speaker to my actual phone I would do that. I still dont understand why you can't transfer a call when the vehicle is in motion. .....so if anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it...
Old 01-02-06, 06:29 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrudley
Actually, are those the wires that need cut and spliced together?
Yes, they are.
Old 01-02-06, 06:36 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Does this affect my warrenty?
probably. maybe. it all depends on what type of warranty work you seek. the dealer will not perform this work for you but you never know how they might feel about this. technically you void the warranty for a product when you perform unauthorized work or you tamper with it.
Old 01-02-06, 06:39 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by brewkp4
I do not plan on doing this mod because I am worried about the risk.; for me, based on my personal needs, the risk out weighs the benefits. However, if there comes a less "permenant" override to allow me to access my phone book and transfer a call from the speaker to my actual phone I would do that. I still dont understand why you can't transfer a call when the vehicle is in motion. .....so if anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it...
there is no "rule" why this happens, maybe it's something the programmers couldn't avoid. maybe it's just simply the way the system was designed, those were the specs they were given, maybe it's like that way in another car....who knows for sure. but given that lexus appears to opt on the side of caution, one might think they do not want you to be able to perform such functions since using a cellphone while in motion is illegal in some areas and might be illegal in other areas in the future. maybe they thought they were being proactive.

i think it funny when the nav calls for you to turn around, it says "please make a legal u-turn...." but in never says "...legal left turn ahead".
Old 01-02-06, 06:42 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

so what does the pink wire do?
Old 01-02-06, 06:56 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
technically you void the warranty for a product when you perform unauthorized work or you tamper with it.
If you are concerned about the warranty, I'd try to perform the mod in a non-destructive way. More specifically, instead of cutting the wires, I'd try to remove them (complete with the crimped on piece) from the connectors. (Once unplugged from the Nav, you can probably push them through from the other side) Then instead of soldering them together, I'd fashion a wire or lug to couple them together, and wrap with electrical tape. If the unit should ever fail, you'd simply need to pull them apart (clean the electric tape goo off with ligher fluid), re-insert the wires with the crimped-on ends back into the connectors, plug it back together, and the dealer will never know you performed the mod.
Old 01-04-06, 03:56 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Default Add me to the list of hackers

I couldn't fight the tinker bug any longer--did exactly as instructed and everything worked. It's as easy as advertised--just take your time and do each step meticulously, because you don't want to break or scratch anything (protect the screen and console with some padding). One word of caution: be extra careful when you remove/insert the screws/bolts--it's a black hole in there, filled with cables, ducts, etc; if you drop a bolt, chances are you will not be able to see it, let alone retrieve it.
Am I going to watch movies in the car now? Heck, no, that's dangerous--I don't even have a Bluetooth phone. I just did it to see if I could (I do enjoy the benefit of seeing the MP3 folder/file list). Thanks to those that gave valuable advices.

Last edited by jlin101; 01-05-06 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-04-06, 04:22 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Originally Posted by koolaidman
so what does the pink wire do?

According to the IS350 wiring diagram that I downloaded from Lexus Technical Information System (TIS) http://techinfo.lexus.com

The pink wire indicates SP (speed) and is connected to the microcomputer which contains the speedometer reading.

2006 IS350 Tungsten Pearl with Mark Levinson
2006 GS300 AWD Flint Mica (wife's)
Old 01-05-06, 08:27 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Does this affect my warrenty?

Well, if they somehow found out you did this,, (which they never will,
by the way), Then technically, yes, it "can" void out the warranty, but not
on the whole car, just on the part that happens to need repair and only
if it was caused or could of been caused by the splicing you did..
Old 01-05-06, 09:39 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

it affects the part of the warranty pertaining to the procedure, but so does installing aftermarket suspension and exhaust parts, lights, audio components, body kits, and so on. Have a copy of the wiring diagram with you, double check the wires before cutting, take your sweet time--it's an easy procedure.

Last edited by jlin101; 01-05-06 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-07-06, 03:26 PM
terp05
Driver

Successfully performed this mod today, after filling up 5 mp3 cd's and realizing how crippling the stock operation is in this mode. .A word of advice for removing the vents- after pulling down the 4 tabs, wedge your protected flathead screwdriver into this slot from the top - inbetween the rubberish dash and the vent. Putting the screwdriver in this opening allows easy prying to release the vents
Old 01-07-06, 06:18 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Removing the vent was the pain for me. But now i know, if your fingers are small enough, just slide the tip of your finger in the midle part and pull them out, then pull on the both side of the vent and it will come out easily. I wouldn't use the screwdriver if i ever do it again. If you're not careful, it might cause a big gap between the vent and the dash.
Old 01-08-06, 03:07 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
I know if I'm going to use my Nav heavily that day so it's easy to touch the screen 5 to 10 times that day on startup.
Just to clarify, you can bypass the destination change--lockout while moving---- by doing the over-ride at startup??
Old 01-08-06, 04:38 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I am in the middle of finding a destination for my Nav to guide me to. I'm at a stoplight and I am in the middle of entering the street address. The light changes to green and I start moving right in the middle of the street name. The Nav will lock you out and not let you enter anything further. You can overcome this by performing the manual override; you can complete the manual override anytime you wish but it will not persist after you shut off the engine.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving