IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 05:22 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kensteele
I am in the middle of finding a destination for my Nav to guide me to. I'm at a stoplight and I am in the middle of entering the street address. The light changes to green and I start moving right in the middle of the street name. The Nav will lock you out and not let you enter anything further. You can overcome this by performing the manual override; you can complete the manual override anytime you wish but it will not persist after you shut off the engine.
And the ONLY way to perform the override is to be moving, correct? Or can you perform the override while parked in your garage, before heading out?
Old 01-08-06, 06:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
And the ONLY way to perform the override is to be moving, correct? Or can you perform the override while parked in your garage, before heading out?
You can perform it anytime; either moving or stopped. I usually do it right before I shift the car out of park and into drive...if I am going to have a big navigation day.
Old 01-08-06, 06:38 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

You can perform it anytime; either moving or stopped. I usually do it right before I shift the car out of park and into drive...if I am going to have a big navigation day.
Excellent, thx!

BTW, how are those Pirelli's working out? Figures you get the winter tread and winter goes away, huh?
Old 01-08-06, 07:54 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
Excellent, thx!

BTW, how are those Pirelli's working out? Figures you get the winter tread and winter goes away, huh?
Hehe, I'm wondering how much tread I'm burning off the winter tires and whether I should switch back to summer. Haven't had as much as a flurry since the first week I put them on.
Old 01-08-06, 09:21 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Hehe, I'm wondering how much tread I'm burning off the winter tires and whether I should switch back to summer. Haven't had as much as a flurry since the first week I put them on.
Same here. But the summer tires have a rubber compound that really wasn't designed for cold temperatures, so we're really better off with the Pirelli snow tires even if it doesn't snow. And if the SnowSports are anything like the Pilot Alpins I had on my Audi, they wear like iron compared with ANY summer tire I've had on the car.
Old 01-08-06, 10:22 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
Same here. But the summer tires have a rubber compound that really wasn't designed for cold temperatures, so we're really better off with the Pirelli snow tires even if it doesn't snow. And if the SnowSports are anything like the Pilot Alpins I had on my Audi, they wear like iron compared with ANY summer tire I've had on the car.
That's good to know.
Old 01-09-06, 12:39 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

For now I guess I'm burning my Dunlops to the ground, but damn this car handles so good and it was 51 degrees today in Indy, I HATE to buy the winters yet.

BTW, I'll call you when I'm in a snowbank next week
Old 01-11-06, 08:20 PM
Pete C
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this mod get rid of the "I Agree" screen? I so, I might be convinced to go for it.
Old 01-11-06, 08:31 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pete C
Does this mod get rid of the "I Agree" screen? I so, I might be convinced to go for it.
No, it's doesn't get rid of the "I Agree" screen. I wish it could
Old 01-12-06, 07:03 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

nothing gets rid of the "I agree" screen. If you don't need to use the NAV regularly, switch off the "automatic display switch" so you can still see the Climate and Audio screens without going through the "I agree" screen every time you power up.
Old 01-12-06, 07:07 AM
Pete C
Driver School Candidate

I saw that there is a kit available for the Prius navigation which does get rid of the "I Agree" screen. The kit basically looks like some re-wiring, so I was hoping there may be a similar solution for Lexus. Here's the link for the Prius kit: http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm. Maybe one day there will be an available kit for Lexus which accomplishes the same things.
Old 01-12-06, 07:50 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pete C
I saw that there is a kit available for the Prius navigation which does get rid of the "I Agree" screen. The kit basically looks like some re-wiring, so I was hoping there may be a similar solution for Lexus. Here's the link for the Prius kit: http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm. Maybe one day there will be an available kit for Lexus which accomplishes the same things.
There've been threads on this kit on the GS forum for quite some time, but none has been delivered as far as I know.
Old 01-26-06, 08:16 PM
aznevoviii
Pole Position

OMG, I was doing it at night as i type, I just cant get that vent off.
It is taking an hour and it is still not off. I am pissed... plus, I dont have any plastic pry tool, so this sucks.

Any sugestions??? everything is still open. I need to get this done before I go to work tomorrow morning...

thanks

-John

Name:  DSC01492.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  DSC01494.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  37.5 KB
Name:  DSC01495.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  55.0 KB
Old 01-26-06, 08:26 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aznevoviii
OMG, I was doing it at night as i type, I just cant get that vent off.
It is taking an hour and it is still not off. I am pissed... plus, I dont have any plastic pry tool, so this sucks.

Any sugestions??? everything is still open. I need to get this done before I go to work tomorrow morning...

thanks

-John

John,
I use the flat srewdriver and it worked fine. Removing the vent was the pain for me. But now i know, if your fingers are small enough, just slide the tip of your finger in the midle part and pull them out, then pull on the both side of the vent and it will come out easily. I wouldn't use the screwdriver if i ever do it again. If you're not careful, it might cause a big gap between the vent and the dash.
Old 01-26-06, 09:33 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

you can stick anything that is bent at the end(90 deg angle or greater) into the vent and just give it a good pull. It will pop out. It's only a couple clips holding it in.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving