IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Scuff Plate Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-05, 06:42 PM
terp05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scuff Plate Removal

So I ordered a set of front illuminated scuff plates from Carson Lexus yesterday. I wanted to see for myself that I would be able to install them and that they could be illuminated easily. I have a black on black is250 awd without the sport package. The picture attached shows the scuff plate removed. It was rather easy- there are 7 snap-in pieces on the interior side of the plate that pop out rather easily. You can see the 4 white pegs that line up onto the exterior side of the plate. I had to use two flathead screwdrivers to pry up and release these 'buttons' if you will. If you look close to the right of my hand, on top of the wire housing there are two wires going into a white plug. This is the connection for the lights to illuminate the 'lexus' logo (I've confirmed this with the service manual)

One thing to note- if you are going to do this BE SURE to wrap your screwdrivers in plenty of electrical tape to keep from scratching your paint. You may also want to put tape down on the areas of the car where the prying will take place.
Attached Thumbnails Scuff Plate Removal-scuff-plate-removed.jpg  
Old 12-29-05, 06:46 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much did the illuminated plates run you?
Old 12-29-05, 07:18 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Sounds like a fun project.

My 350 has thes and they are a cool feature.

Does your car have a switch in front of the sunroof for turning the illuminated skid plates on and off?
Old 12-29-05, 07:22 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that a finger lying on the seat?
Old 12-29-05, 07:24 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Sounds like a fun project.

My 350 has thes and they are a cool feature.

Does your car have a switch in front of the sunroof for turning the illuminated skid plates on and off?
does yours? Mine has the switch to control the courtesy lights.
Old 12-29-05, 07:31 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
does yours? Mine has the switch to control the courtesy lights.
When that switch (courtesy lights) is off, the scuff plates won't illuminate.
Old 12-29-05, 07:38 PM
terp05
Driver

The front plates were $64 each. I didn't order the rears just yet but they can be ordered for $128 each.

It's not a finger, just a towel

The scuff plates are tied into the same circuit as the dome light and therefore are affected by both switches in front of the sunroof. The following is from the service manual re: the plates...

The operation timing of the scuff plate lights is the same as that of the front and rear interior lights.
The scuff plate lights turn on when a door is opened, and turn off when the door is closed. This
illumination setting can be canceled using the overhead J/B switch.
In addition, the scuff plate lights blink while the theft deterrent system is sounding an alarm.
The turning on and off of the scuff plate lights is controlled by the main body ECU LH based on various
signals received through BEAN communication.
Old 12-29-05, 07:38 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

how did you order it i don't see it on their website anymore. Did you just have to call them? how much were the plates.
Old 12-29-05, 07:39 PM
pinoychris
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, you don't really have to use screwdrivers to take them out. I took mine out with my hands. I just found places near the ends and then they I pulled them out pretty easily.
Old 12-29-05, 07:41 PM
terp05
Driver

Originally Posted by mofogasm
how did you order it i don't see it on their website anymore. Did you just have to call them? how much were the plates.
The phone number can be found on this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=187714&page=3

I spoke to Luis and placed the order over the phone. He has placed the order with Lexus (Japan, i assume) and will get back to me when he has tracking numbers.

I was told the total after shipping would be $148.
Old 12-29-05, 07:50 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Pretty cool, for those who don't have them, this is an inexpensive mod with lots of from passengers. Also I didn't know their lighting was controlled by the switch; nice.
Old 12-29-05, 07:53 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus/Toyota should have just put these on all the new IS. It makes the car look so much more refined and luxurious.
Old 12-29-05, 08:04 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
Also I didn't know their lighting was controlled by the switch; nice.
That actually caused quite a bit of confusion, as they must have turned off the dome lights when my car went through dealer prep. When the car was delivered, I complained to the salesman that my scuff plates weren't lighting up. He told me that they are controlled by a photocell, and won't light until it is dark out. (Not true, but I give him points for creativity)

At home, when it got dark that night, they were still out, and I suffered about 15 mintues of heartache until I figured out that the dome light was switched off. Once I turned it on, the scuff plates cast their beautiful blue glow, and all was right in the world.
Old 12-29-05, 08:58 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by terp05
The front plates were $64 each. I didn't order the rears just yet but they can be ordered for $128 each.

The scuff plates are tied into the same circuit as the dome light and therefore are affected by both switches in front of the sunroof. The following is from the service manual re: the plates...
Strange that the front pieces (larger and lighted) cost much less than the rear ones (shorter and non-lighted).
Old 12-29-05, 09:19 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by terp05

I did the same thing too

it should be a nice and cheap and cool mod!

Quick Reply: Scuff Plate Removal