IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does anybody elses dash have this problem???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-05, 01:25 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No gaps or squeeks in mine. I would take it to the dealership to have that fixed if it was that bad.
Old 12-29-05, 07:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

yep, take it in... dont worry about it being worse, it is relativly easy to take and put it back.
Old 12-29-05, 07:36 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep, take it in... dont worry about it being worse, it is relativly easy to take and put it back.
Is there a write-up somewhere on how to do this? I suspect I'd be a lot more careful not to scratch/mar anything than a dealer tech would be.
Old 12-29-05, 08:19 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Yeah, a fixed dash

Seriously though, Lexus fit and finish is usually top notch. Suprised to see this happening, even in the first model year.
It happened on the first gen RX... they released it due to the hype and it had a ton of problems first year... but I think they promised to NEVER bust that again lol

Just take it in when you go in for the 5K service. That way, you can kill 2 birds with one stone. If t's REALLY bothering you, you may want to take it in sooner... but if it becomes a known common problem, then a tsb MIGHT come out for it... I haven't seen too many "fitment" tsbs, but if you guy said there is a creaking noise during cold operation... it may happen. There are ~tons~ of "insulate this and that upon reproduced concern" tsbs out there...

My personal guess: THe fit/finish was good but (I haven't driven enough to say it's a good guess...) body flex may have caused the trim piece to rub the dash... which would explain the silver chips in the dash... and the "warping" of the piece which caused the fitment issue. Finding someone to check a few new ones might help =P
Old 12-29-05, 08:28 AM
ajc
Driver School Candidate

You expect fit & finish like that from a 10K car not a 35K Lexus?
You just don't know what you are getting these days.
Old 12-29-05, 09:25 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

imagine how they are going to fix this problem... they might have to take all the dash out to find out what the deal was. plus, you think they'll put back every screws??
Old 12-29-05, 09:50 AM
ajc
Driver School Candidate

My 2002 Ford Taurus has better fit & finish - do I want to give it up and expect this??
Old 12-29-05, 09:58 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajc
My 2002 Ford Taurus has better fit & finish - do I want to give it up and expect this??
No, you should definitely stick with your Taurus
Old 12-29-05, 11:48 AM
ajc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
No, you should definitely stick with your Taurus
For now I will until all the bugs are worked out and all the 1st on the block guys deal with all the 1st year problems.
Old 12-29-05, 12:26 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ajc
For now I will until all the bugs are worked out and all the 1st on the block guys deal with all the 1st year problems.
That actually makes a lot of sense. If you don't mind waiting, you'll get a car with fewer flaws and for a much better price.
Old 12-29-05, 12:33 PM
IS350spBLK
Driver

Originally Posted by shaolin
imagine how they are going to fix this problem... they might have to take all the dash out to find out what the deal was. plus, you think they'll put back every screws??
Honestly right now thats all Im worried about. I remember I had my stock radio replaced at honda on my civic back in the day and they put the "extra" screws in my glove box, which I thought was really funny and ofcourse there were endless sqeeks and raddles after that visit to the shop.

I also contacted the local lexus dealer and they told me to just wait till my 5,000 mile expection, which I was surprised to hear that from them... since when I bought the car they said they have the BEST sirvice any one could ever receive. Well anyway I decided to do just that, cause it is a long drive and I have other little issues with the car that I need checked out.

The only thing Im worried bout is if I wait too long they might say I did something to it and refuse to fix it. So we'll see hopefully all works out well, cause I was never a big fan of lexus and was expecting to change my mind about that with this car.

Oh by the way felt GREAT smoking a 350z the other day, the guy pulled up laughing at me for some wierd reason, but was too embarresed to even to pull up next to me on the next light
Old 12-29-05, 02:08 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350spBLK
The only thing Im worried bout is if I wait too long they might say I did something to it and refuse to fix it. So we'll see hopefully all works out well, cause I was never a big fan of lexus and was expecting to change my mind about that with this car.
Don't worry, you have plenty of time under the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Originally Posted by IS350spBLK
Oh by the way felt GREAT smoking a 350z the other day, the guy pulled up laughing at me for some wierd reason, but was too embarresed to even to pull up next to me on the next light
Classic
Old 12-29-05, 02:54 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

I took a turboed GTI last night. He pulled up next to me just revving his engine. I gave him the nod and my own rev. Then I gave him my dust. He was scarred to drive next to me after that.
Old 12-29-05, 04:32 PM
NEEDanIS
Driver School Candidate

Nice kills to the both of you's.

Also wondering if Lexus will try and fix glitches such as this one with the dash before the next year model run. If they have a problem like this wouldn't they want to nip it in the butt as soon as possible?
Old 03-06-06, 10:04 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No really noticeable rattles, but I notice some gap around the nav and a/c vents. I'm not too worried about it, as long as it doesn't get much worse. I suppose we should all at least mention it to the dealer! That along with the horribly easy scratching wood under the shifter in non sport package equipped cars. Still, LOVE this car!

Quick Reply: Does anybody elses dash have this problem???