IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Little things you really *like* about the IS250/350

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-05, 04:37 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little things you really *like* about the IS250/350

To complement the thread about things you don't like, I'm wondering what little things people really *like* about the IS250/350. I don't mean things like "it has great power" or "it looks really good" or "reliability is best in the business". These things are true, but I think we all know about them by now. I mean the thoughtful little touches that Lexus put in there that you really appreciate, that maybe other cars don't have, or that Lexus just managed to do better. For me, they are:

- LED lights for driver and passenger map lights. In addition to providing a classy, soft, high-tech looking light, these lights are also very well focused, so that if the passenger side light is on, as the driver I am not distracted at all. I don't know if other cars have this, but I'm impressed.

- Little light on the cupholder. If you have water or Gatorade or another clear-ish liquid in there, it lights up and looks really cool, and it's also easier to find in the dark without taking your eyes off the road for too long. I wish they had this on both cupholders in the center storage thing.

- When you go off course on the navigation guidance, it just recalculates the route and starts giving you new directions. On other navigation systems, it says, "You have left the suggested course" or something like that. If I make a wrong turn, I don't want the navigation lecturing me about it.

- I like the cool "revving up" thing the spedo and tach do when you first turn on the engine. This never fails to impress people who see it. A small touch, but a great idea.

If you have other little things like this that you appreciate, post up!
Old 12-23-05, 05:50 PM
vp911
Pit Crew

I don't have my IS350 yet (on it's way), but the push button start
Old 12-23-05, 06:10 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the "Push Button" start. I know it may not mean much to many people but I still get a kick out of it almost having my IS 250 AWD for a month now.

I'm sure after THIS thread, there's going to be a "10 Things You Know You've Driven Your IS For Too Long".

#10. Your friend is too drunk to drive so you offer to drive him/her and the BMW home only to find there's no button to start the car.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 12-23-05, 06:10 PM
mhiggi02
Driver

-Overall styling/appearance
-Fit/finish is outstanding
-Pushbutton start
-Handling
-Aux in for my ipod
-Dual exhaust
-The color (SGM)
-The 18" wheels
-The license plate light
Old 12-23-05, 06:47 PM
tim817
Intermediate

_Smart access
_Wide rear tire
_Horse power on the 350
_NAV/ bluetooth/reverse camera
_LEDs
_Wide looking fenders
_Cushy leather seat
_Agressive looking projector headlights
_Stock radio system
Old 12-23-05, 07:42 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i dont know if this counts as little thing but i really really like the engine on my IS350
Old 12-23-05, 07:46 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I think you hit a couple of important ones with the speedo/tach revving up and the lights and LEDs. In addition to the lighted door sills, they're just so cool.
Old 12-23-05, 07:48 PM
vp911
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kensteele
I think you hit a couple of important ones with the speedo/tach revving up and the lights and LEDs. In addition to the lighted door sills, they're just so cool.
With the speedo/tach lights, what colors do they light up?
Old 12-23-05, 09:14 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vp911
With the speedo/tach lights, what colors do they light up?
When you power up, they light up their normal colors - white on black. But the cool things are: 1. the needles have this "light saber" look to them, like white light suspended over black background, and 2. right when you start the engine, the needles on both dials spin all the way up to the right and then back down to the left in a fast and smooth motion. It just looks cool.
Old 12-23-05, 09:28 PM
Donger
Driver

Originally Posted by Kermee
#10. Your friend is too drunk to drive so you offer to drive him/her and the BMW home only to find there's no button to start the car.

Cheers,
Kermee
You are driving the wrong BMW - the 6 and 7 series have start/stop buttons.

I like the animation of the graphics on the Gen 5 Nav - little thing, but it makes an otherwise boring message box look a bit better as they slide in and out of the screen.
Old 12-23-05, 10:08 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Donger
You are driving the wrong BMW - the 6 and 7 series have start/stop buttons. {snip]
My friends and myself are too poor to drive 6 and 7 series. Good catch.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 12-23-05, 10:27 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Donger
You are driving the wrong BMW - the 6 and 7 series have start/stop buttons.

I like the animation of the graphics on the Gen 5 Nav - little thing, but it makes an otherwise boring message box look a bit better as they slide in and out of the screen.
the new 3 has it too. but its not like the lexus. you have to stick the remote in first then you press the push start.
Old 12-23-05, 10:32 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by is350
the new 3 has it too. but its not like the lexus. you have to stick the remote in first then you press the push start.
Ya, the BMW salesman was so happy with that feature when I went on my test drive. I never really understood the point of a wireless key and start button if you have to put the key in the dash before the start button will work. In that case, why not just have a regular key? The start button on the 330i is definitely a gimmick.
Old 12-23-05, 10:51 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Speaking of things we *like* and the new 5G NAV, POI Icons are scary... I turned on "Restaurants" and while randomly driving... A "Krispy Kreme" logo appeared on my screen.

15 minutes later, I was about $6 poorer and was looking for the "Gym" POI list.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 12-23-05, 11:29 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

Default Possible Screensaver?

On the Gen 5 Nav, I wanted to know if it was possible to add screensavers and such since I've seen this on my friends' nav (not an IS btw)!

Quick Reply: Little things you really *like* about the IS250/350