IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: When you use the paddles to shift, do you let off of the accelerator between shifts?
Yes, I let off of the gas between shifts like a manual tranny!
21.01%
No, my foot stays on the gas!
78.99%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Paddle Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 07:04 PM
mhiggi02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle Shifting

When you use the paddles to shift your IS, do you let off of the accelerator when shifting gears like you would when driving a manual transmission or not?
Old 12-19-05, 07:17 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

My salesman told me that I should stay on the gas, so I do.
Old 12-19-05, 08:29 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I dont use my paddles much, but it seems like the shift is a lot smoother when I ease off the gas.
Old 12-19-05, 08:46 PM
Kailua250
Driver

What reason could there be to let off the accelerator? The ECU is there to compute the shift. After you tell it to shift up or down whether you push harder or let off, it is going to do what your foot tells it to do no matter what gear you are in. If you are ****ing up and you let off the gas then reapply pressure to the pedal, it may need to down shift again depending on the conditions. If you keep the accelerator at a constant, it will shift when it needs to and not have to shift back and forth. Remember, when you are in sport shift, you are really only telling the car the highest gear you want to be in. It can always down shift if it needs to automatically.
Old 12-19-05, 10:02 PM
the lndr
Driver

Why the Poll?
Old 12-19-05, 10:09 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kailua250
What reason could there be to let off the accelerator? The ECU is there to compute the shift. After you tell it to shift up or down whether you push harder or let off, it is going to do what your foot tells it to do no matter what gear you are in. If you are ****ing up and you let off the gas then reapply pressure to the pedal, it may need to down shift again depending on the conditions. If you keep the accelerator at a constant, it will shift when it needs to and not have to shift back and forth. Remember, when you are in sport shift, you are really only telling the car the highest gear you want to be in. It can always down shift if it needs to automatically.
I am not sure how it works on the 250, but on the 350, it does not down shift unless you are going pretty slow. Letting off the gas slightly to shift does not cause the car to downshift.

Also, the 350 is pretty jerky in Sportshift mode without letting off the gas
Old 12-19-05, 10:13 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Does the car even upshift in sportshift mode if you DO let off the gas?
Old 12-19-05, 10:55 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

My car goes "wtf are you doing?!" when I left off the gas and try to paddle shift at the same time. So I always stay on the gas.
Old 12-20-05, 03:26 AM
mhiggi02
Driver

Originally Posted by the lndr
Why the Poll?
Because I was curious.
Old 12-20-05, 10:20 AM
Cypren
Driver

I've driven nothing but manuals my entire life -- the IS350 is my first car with an automatic. When I bought it, I figured I'd wind up using it exclusively in sportshift mode out of habit. As it turns out, I never use sport mode at all.

Maybe it's just because I'm not familiar or comfortable with the nuances of a tiptronic transmission, but it sure seems as if the automatic, left to its own devices, does a much better job of gear shifting and selection than I do. It upshifts faster and smoother off a launch, downshifts properly when accelerating out of a turn, and always downshifts quickly to give me power if I floor it. I really don't have any complaints.
Old 12-20-05, 01:47 PM
Kailua250
Driver

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
I am not sure how it works on the 250, but on the 350, it does not down shift unless you are going pretty slow. Letting off the gas slightly to shift does not cause the car to downshift.

Letting off the gas on any vehicle would not cause a down shift. An automatic car would only down shift if you are trying to speed up. If it did anything when you let off the gas, it would up shift. Maybe there is confusion about the difference between up shift and down shift. Down shift denote a lower gear as in 3 to 2 or 2 to 1.
If your car is shifting jerky, you must have problems because my car shifts silky smooth even when I have it floored. I almost can't tell that it shifted! For that matter, I can't even tell I am speeding! I love my car!
Old 12-20-05, 02:23 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kailua250
If you are ****ing up and you let off the gas then reapply pressure to the pedal, it may need to down shift again depending on the conditions.
Yes, I am not confused by the terms upshift or downshift. I am confused by your earlier statement which stated that the car may need to downshift if I let off the gas.

Also, you may be confused about how I am driving, I am only easing off the accelerator, not completely taking my foot off the gas. So I am going full throttle, partial throtte(About enough to coast at the speed I am at) Shift, full throttle.

It does not need to do that. Maybe the 250 is smooth while using the Sportsshift full throttle, but my IS is not so smooth using sports shift.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 12-20-05 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-20-05, 02:57 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Like someone else mentioned earlier, I've driven manuals for most of my life as well. I don't use the tiptronic, whether with the shifter itself or the paddles. I'd use it more often if it wasn't for the 1-2 second delay in shifting.
Old 12-20-05, 05:00 PM
swixo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cypren
I've driven nothing but manuals my entire life -- the IS350 is my first car with an automatic. When I bought it, I figured I'd wind up using it exclusively in sportshift mode out of habit. As it turns out, I never use sport mode at all.

Maybe it's just because I'm not familiar or comfortable with the nuances of a tiptronic transmission, but it sure seems as if the automatic, left to its own devices, does a much better job of gear shifting and selection than I do. It upshifts faster and smoother off a launch, downshifts properly when accelerating out of a turn, and always downshifts quickly to give me power if I floor it. I really don't have any complaints.
Agree - I would have ordered mine w/o the paddles if I could have. Never use it.

s
Old 12-20-05, 06:31 PM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by mhiggi02
When you use the paddles to shift your IS, do you let off of the accelerator when shifting gears like you would when driving a manual transmission or not?
Why in the world would you let off the gas when you use the paddle to shift the car? It is basically the same thing as having the automatic transmission shift except you decide when it shifts. Do you let off the gas before it shifts when you have it in automatic shift mode? I think not.

I am surprised that 9 people have said that they do let off the gas when they shift the car

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifting