IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Key Fob Not Detected - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 11:48 PM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob Not Detected - Please help!

Greets,

We picked up our IS 350 two weeks ago, and have developed a little problem. We would rather not trek out 35 miles to the dealer if someone else know's what's what. If you KNOW, please help.

Anyway, the IS 350 doesn't have a key, per se. It uses the alarm fob. It is SUPPOSED to sense when you approach the car, and unlock. It is SUPPOSED to sense that the key is inside the car, and allow you to push a button to start it. It does neither.

However, all the buttons on the remote (lock, unlock, panic, and trunk) do work. In other words, the battery in the fob is still fine.

Does anyone out there KNOW what would cause the system to no longer sense the proximity of the key for proximity items (such as presence in the car, or near a door), while still recognizing the push buttons?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 12-17-05, 12:46 AM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm this sounds strange. Have you tried your spare key? It doesnt start? Can you turn on the accessories without starting the car?
Old 12-17-05, 03:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

did you turn it off? There is an button in the car (owners help) that turns of smart entry...
Old 12-17-05, 05:20 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Let me get this straight--you mean the car doesn't unlock when you approach it? Two things should happen when the fob is sensed: when you get within 2 feet of the door, the interior courtesy and side mirror puddle lamps should come on, then the door unlocks when, and only when, you grab the door handle (won't unlock until the fingers are around the handle). There is a setting to deactivate the autosensing (described in the manual), but it would be unusual for the dealer to do that, as this is one of the neat features of this car. But in either case, once you are inside the car, you should be able to start it. So how do you start the car now?

BTW, there is a key inside each fob.
Old 12-17-05, 07:07 AM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Default Response

Thanks so much for the initial inquiries ... let me try to answer them all.

Maximus350) We tried the spare key. They both glow red when a button is pushed, both unlock the car WHEN A BUTTON IS PUSHED, both unlock the trunk when a button is pushed. Neither will unlock the car when you approach. Neither will be sensed to allow you to start the car.

spwolf) - I do not know of such a button, but if there is one I would LOVE to know where it is, and how to toggle it.

jlin101) - What you say is supposed to happen does not. That is our problem. How do we start the car? The IS350 has an override. You can place even a dead key fob directly on top of the top button when you push it, and the car will start.

Unless there is some button, I am suspecting (and hoping?) that maybe a fuse went. Everything else seems to work, but, according to the manual, there is a fuse, in the drive's panel, which controls only "smart access with push start". I am NOT a car person, and this is my wife's car, so I can't change it. But if anyone out there has any ideas on this, or generall, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks
Old 12-17-05, 08:15 AM
Dr C
Driver

Apparently you have already tried the nearly dead key procedure where you hold the key adjacent to the start button, depress it for so many seconds, and then push the start key?

I have wondered myself, what happens if your car won't start so I will continue to monitor this thread.
Old 12-17-05, 08:18 AM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes

Dr C - yes, that is word for word (almost) what I responded to jlin101.

If ANYONE has any ideas, please let me know.
Old 12-17-05, 02:57 PM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Default Failed Dealer Repair Attempt # 1

We took it to the local dealer. After 5 hours of testing, they determined that the car had lost registration with the immobilizer keys. They reprogrammed, and the internal key sensor started working again.

They had no stated cause for why this would occur.

It stopped working again, however, within 12 hours.

Last edited by jdmba; 12-19-05 at 04:07 PM. Reason: (Stated resolved, but was not)
Old 12-17-05, 04:37 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdmba
We took it to the local dealer. After 5 hours of testing, they determined that the car had lost registration with the immobilizer keys. They reprogrammed, and everything started working again.

thats what i was about to say but u already took it to the dealer
Old 12-18-05, 07:33 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

We took it to the local dealer. After 5 hours of testing, they determined that the car had lost registration with the immobilizer keys. They reprogrammed, and everything started working again.

that's a scary thought--you could've been stranded away from home. How did you get to the dealer--called the roadside service?
Old 12-19-05, 04:06 PM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Default Still Not Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the car is still not fixed.

The dealer returned the car without the Door Handle unlock working, but with the Start Button working. However, when we went out the next day to drive the car, the KEY IS NOT DETECTED statement came back up.

We have contacted the dealer who is investigating this and has advised that we should not do anything until we hear back.

Has anyone else had this problem on their new IS?
Old 12-19-05, 05:22 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

No, mine is working fine.
Old 12-19-05, 08:49 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Well, the car is still not fixed.

The dealer returned the car without the Door Handle unlock working, but with the Start Button working. However, when we went out the next day to drive the car, the KEY IS NOT DETECTED statement came back up.

We have contacted the dealer who is investigating this and has advised that we should not do anything until we hear back.

Has anyone else had this problem on their new IS?
is it just that 1 key???and they didnt program the wireless fob
Old 12-19-05, 09:25 PM
erock901
Rookie

My key fobs are working fine. What dealership are you working with? I hope they're taking care of you as far as a loaner car goes.
Old 12-20-05, 08:25 AM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Default Ugh ....

Yes, both key fobs don't work.

If anyone has ACTUAL knowledge about this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated!

After a bunch of back and forth's with the dealer, we are going to bring it in for diagnostics.

Last edited by jdmba; 12-20-05 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Update

Quick Reply: Key Fob Not Detected - Please help!