IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson IS350 THE AUDITION...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 02:21 PM
fastball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
but the system indentified it as a CD. I tried first in an ES330 without Mark Levinson and it worked and gave the title and cut information on the Nav Screen. The dynamic range of the Mark Levinson GS system was like I was listening to a different recording and I heard things that weren't noticable on the ES330's CD player. I have called Torrance about it and will post what they say about SACD's. Thanks all.

Rock
I have that same disc, and it is a 2 layer disc - one is 2 channel CD audio, and one is 5.1 channel DSD SACD audio......

This disc will play in every CD player ever made in the last 25 years - in 2 channel CD audio.

In order for you to hear the DSD audio, you must have a DSD decoder (SACD player).

I have a Pioneer DV-563 in my home system that plays both DVD-A and SACD..... Pioneer had to pay a license fee to Sony for the specific microprocessors and capability to decode those discs. DVD-A is an industry standard, so no one needs to file a license fee with any one manufacturer.

I personally think SACD sounds better, but Sony is one of the most arrogent companies when it comes to proprietary inovations. As was mentioned before, the betamax-VHS fiasco (which, anyone who remembers betas knows they had better sound and picture than VHS).

Would it have hurt Lexus to ask Sony for the hardware to put in the Mark Levinson? Probably not. But then you'd have a Lexus with a Mark Levinson sound system that has Sony engineered hardware..... holly cow!
Old 12-20-05, 02:29 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fastball
I have that same disc, and it is a 2 layer disc - one is 2 channel CD audio, and one is 5.1 channel DSD SACD audio......

This disc will play in every CD player ever made in the last 25 years - in 2 channel CD audio.

In order for you to hear the DSD audio, you must have a DSD decoder (SACD player).

I have a Pioneer DV-563 in my home system that plays both DVD-A and SACD..... Pioneer had to pay a license fee to Sony for the specific microprocessors and capability to decode those discs. DVD-A is an industry standard, so no one needs to file a license fee with any one manufacturer.

I personally think SACD sounds better, but Sony is one of the most arrogent companies when it comes to proprietary inovations. As was mentioned before, the betamax-VHS fiasco (which, anyone who remembers betas knows they had better sound and picture than VHS).

Would it have hurt Lexus to ask Sony for the hardware to put in the Mark Levinson? Probably not. But then you'd have a Lexus with a Mark Levinson sound system that has Sony engineered hardware..... holly cow!
They probably would have had to stick in another laser pickup assembly for the SACD capability as well as the processing and support ICs. I'm uisng the Sony SCD-1 at home (modded of course) as my reference player. The SCD-1 sounds good stock, but sounds quite a bit more "open" when modded. Pretty much everything that Sony has designed for the high end can take a beating and keep on working. Still have my old Discman from the late 80's and it still won't die!!!

So, the ML system would probably need 3 pickup assemblies...eeks!

Percy
Old 12-20-05, 02:34 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

The only time I'd consider Bose to be good was back in the 80's when most oem systems were nothing but junk; in comparison, Nissan's Bose system was an improvement. Unfortunately over the years, while other systems improved, Bose remained nothing but a marketing hype. Car makers and magazines kept referring to Bose as premium audio system (be it Acura, Infiniti, Audi, or MB), but I always found the sound to be muddy. Even the stock Pioneer system in my RX330 was superior to the Bose upgrade in my G35C. Now Brembo has gone the same marketing route. I am sure they are capable of making excellent brakes, whether the ones equipped in Nissan/Mitsubishi and various European brands are any better than generic brakes is anyone's guess. Ah, the power of marketing.
Old 12-20-05, 03:19 PM
fastball
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Percy
They probably would have had to stick in another laser pickup assembly for the SACD capability as well as the processing and support ICs. I'm uisng the Sony SCD-1 at home (modded of course) as my reference player. The SCD-1 sounds good stock, but sounds quite a bit more "open" when modded. Pretty much everything that Sony has designed for the high end can take a beating and keep on working. Still have my old Discman from the late 80's and it still won't die!!!

So, the ML system would probably need 3 pickup assemblies...eeks!

Percy
The new players which can decode multiple formats use one optical pickup. It has more to do with the processors than the optics. Any optical scanner can read any disc and see there are pits on the disc. It takes specific processors to decode what exactly those pits are saying.

So there would still only be one optical pickup.
Old 12-20-05, 10:08 PM
Percy

Different light wavelengths. Needs two seperate pickups on the SCD-1 as well as any SACD player a few years ago. DVDA also. Finer pitch.

Didn't know that the newer ones are using one pickup...interesting!

Percy
Old 12-20-05, 11:45 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cypren
Actually, the largest problem is that since you're playing movies on the nav touchscreen, it's got fingerprints all over it from use. =)

Is there ANY way around that? Are there buttons to use that prevent one from touching the screen? Is there a way to safely clean the screen??
Old 12-21-05, 11:39 AM
Cypren
Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
Is there ANY way around that? Are there buttons to use that prevent one from touching the screen? Is there a way to safely clean the screen??
Cleaning it is easy -- just get some electrostatic screen cleaner and a soft cloth from any computer store. Just don't use Windex or other harsh chemicals on it -- LCD screens don't hold up well to them over the long term.
Old 12-21-05, 11:54 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
I clean mine with a damp cloth. I touch the screen with the back of my knuckle and avoid putting too much lotion on my hand.
Old 12-21-05, 12:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

same here, nothing more than a damp cloths. i wouldn't use any detergent or any "glass cleaner". damp cloth is more than enough
Old 12-21-05, 12:38 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I would love to see a comparison:

IS350 ML system VS. $1500 Aftermarket system (headunit, speakers, amps, subs, and true professional installation) I am being nice and giving $500 extra to the aftermarket crowd.

Who will win?? That is a true comparison. Hint: i have a system in my Corolla about that price range...and IS350 ML is better.

Or how about IS350 ML vs. BOSE vs. Dynaudio/Alpine (Volvo) vs. Harman Kardon Logic 7 (in BMW 7 series)...that is another good comparison.

Comparing ML vs. home media system (even if it's just 2 "$5000 speakers") or $10K car system is just beyond the scope of usefulness.

"The Yugo is good, but it simply cannot compare to the Porsche GT"

What do you think a Yugo owner will think of that kind of statement?? Useless. Wouldn't he/she prefer a test that compares a Yugo vs. Geo Metro vs. Toyota Echo???!!

Last edited by tigmd99; 12-21-05 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-21-05, 01:15 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tigmd99

IS350 ML system VS. $1500 Aftermarket system (headunit, speakers, amps, subs, and true professional installation)

Who will win?? That is a true comparison. Hint: i have a system in my Corolla about that price range...and IS350 ML is better.

Or how about IS350 ML vs. BOSE vs. Dynaudio/Alpine (Volvo) vs. Harman Kardon Logic 7 (in BMW 7 series)...that is another good comparison.

Comparing ML vs. home media system (even if it's just 2 "$5000 speakers") or $10K car system is just beyond the scope of usefulness.

"The Yugo is good, but it simply cannot compare to the Porsche GT"

What do you think a Yugo owner will think of that kind of statement?? Useless. Wouldn't he/she prefer a test that compares a Yugo vs. Geo Metro vs. Toyota Echo???!!
it's easy to dump a load of money buying aftermarket car stereo equipments, and still end up sounding terrible, if the equipments don't match or aren't tuned properly--same way even top-of-the-line stereo's can sound bad at home.
Old 12-21-05, 02:57 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i was dying to get a ML system on my IS but they are not making ML for west coast at least i cant find one that has ML on it, and screw waiting. I cant wait that long after driving the car.
Old 12-21-05, 10:05 PM
Percy

I like the first comparo.

The second one, home system...you could put together a 200 dollar receiver with some good speakers for a TOTAL of under 1k and have it sound decent if placed correctly in a room. That is, not too close to the walls, good location, that type of thing. In many cases it'll blow the doors off the ML/IS350 system. Less to fight with in a home enviroment, big old power supply (hard to argue with 120v mains and 20 amps of current) with good electronics.

Percy
Old 12-21-05, 11:31 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
same here, nothing more than a damp cloths. i wouldn't use any detergent or any "glass cleaner". damp cloth is more than enough
Good to know that works, I'd be fearful ANY moisture could pose sensitivity problems in the future?
Old 12-22-05, 12:36 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Percy, everything is relative. ML system is OUTSTANDING compared to other stock stereo systems elsewhere. You should not generalized that everyone who has ever said that the ML is excellent is an "average" listener...and not worthy of your "audio guru" status.

IT'S ALL RELATIVE. You're comparing the ML system to your HOME system. Granted, the LS430 ML system is great...and i doubt that any ML system will match it...until the next LS comes out. Bottom line, the LS430 ML is excellent because it is in Lexus top executive model costing twice that of IS. IT SHOULD BEAT ALL OTHER ML SYSTEM! I would bet my left nut that the next LS460 ML system will beat the current system. You get what you pay for.

Name me 2 other OEM systems (besides Lexus) that beat the IS350 system...you cannot. And you get it for $1000.

You are being extremely bias in your review, Percy. In the past, you have slammed Lexus ML systems because they cannot match your home system or your $10K system in your car. WTF?! Who the hell can?! No one is crazy enough to spend over $10K on a car system...except you. Are you trying to justify your system by slamming Lexus ML's system, costing barely $1K?!! Totally ridiculous.

Lexus ML system is top-notch for OEM industry. It is relatively cheap...the performance of the ML system canNOT be matched by aftermarket parts IF you stay within the price range of the ML system. Period. End of discussion.

I am not percy and havent read further to see if someone else has said this but I can certainly name one system that is better than the stock IS system. the system that is in the acura TL is great. I believe its the ELS system with dvd-a . I own an LS ultra and I can tell you that the ELS is very close to the ML in my car.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson IS350 THE AUDITION...