IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Has anyone experienced seat bolster wear???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 06:48 PM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone experienced seat bolster wear???

I had several cars in the past with leather interior and after 5 years of use, I get that nasty wear and tear on the seat bolsters.

I've tried several items such as Connollys hide food and several other conditoiners to prevent the wear. Besides using ugly seat covers or adding condtioners, is there anything out there to prevent this from happening?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

[IMG]interior.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone experienced seat bolster wear???-interior.jpg  
Old 12-06-05, 07:08 PM
mhiggi02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emissivity
I had several cars in the past with leather interior and after 5 years of use, I get that nasty wear and tear on the seat bolsters.

I've tried several items such as Connollys hide food and several other conditoiners to prevent the wear. Besides using ugly seat covers or adding condtioners, is there anything out there to prevent this from happening?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

[IMG]interior.jpg[/IMG]
I've already noticed some wrinkling (best way I know to describe it) on the left side of the drivers seat bottom. I've put mcguire's leather conditioner on the seats twice. Hope it won't get much worse.
Old 12-06-05, 08:15 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bolster Wear.

When exiting the car I always try to move the seat back to give me lots of room to enter and exit. The wear is from your rubbing against the seat when entering and exiting. So far so good with all my cars. Good luck!
Will
Old 12-07-05, 06:07 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
When exiting the car I always try to move the seat back to give me lots of room to enter and exit. The wear is from your rubbing against the seat when entering and exiting. So far so good with all my cars. Good luck!
Will
I agree. The wear and tear are from abrasion and rubbing from the driver. Instead of scooting and sliding over the seat to get out, just move your legs over and up. Those leather protectants mainly just coat the leather to keep it from drying and cracking--they don't make the leather tougher or hardier. These soft leathers are not as immune to wear like those hard plastic-like leather found in German cars. You wouldn't wash your car with a Scotch Pad, so you shouldn't wear jeans with metal buttons in the back, either (sounds like a pain in the ***, but it's just like wearing silk shirts vs denim).
Old 12-08-05, 02:10 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by mhiggi02
I've already noticed some wrinkling (best way I know to describe it) on the left side of the drivers seat bottom. I've put mcguire's leather conditioner on the seats twice. Hope it won't get much worse.
I just noticed this today in the same place, maybe it's like the 04 TL's and a first year production fault. Hope it doesn't start to look nasty.
Old 12-08-05, 02:21 PM
Lvangundy

Could it be your belt, or jacket? Maybe the type of pants/jean you are wearing?
Old 12-08-05, 02:27 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
Could it be your belt, or jacket? Maybe the type of pants/jean you are wearing?
mine is on the bottom part of the seat. My jacket is wool (no buttons except for the front), I usually only wear dress slacks.
Old 12-08-05, 02:28 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seat Bolster Wear.

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
Could it be your belt, or jacket? Maybe the type of pants/jean you are
wearing?
I would say that these are contributing factors. But if you move the seat back and give youself plenty of room to get in and out, you'll definately lessen the chance for wear. Lexus makes the SW in our cars tilt and telescope up and in for this very same reason. I just wish they included the movement of the seats as I mentioned.
Will
Old 12-08-05, 05:48 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by jlin101
These soft leathers are not as immune to wear like those hard plastic-like leather found in German cars.
Actually, the german leathers get wear and tear just as bad. It's really crappy leather. Hard and uncomfortable, yet still wears and tears easily. BMW's is the worst in my opinion. One of the reasons why I just picked vinyl on our 325.
Old 12-08-05, 06:12 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ yeah. in my aunts benz the wrinkle is pretty bad and i seen way worst than her seats.. i think there no way of preventing it, unless you dont drive a lot.
Old 12-08-05, 08:01 PM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed that I get out the "lazy" way. I simply slide out of the car, which may be the culprit. I guess I need to move the seat back or get out without touching the bolsters.
Old 12-09-05, 07:11 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by codex57
Actually, the german leathers get wear and tear just as bad. It's really crappy leather. Hard and uncomfortable, yet still wears and tears easily. BMW's is the worst in my opinion. One of the reasons why I just picked vinyl on our 325.
I didn't know that--they look and feel like they were made from elephant hide--one more reason to stay away from the German cars.
Old 12-09-05, 07:58 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by jlin101
I didn't know that--they look and feel like they were made from elephant hide--one more reason to stay away from the German cars.
Yup, rough like elephant hide but without the durability. They can be nice cars, just have many disadvantages that the Japanese have mostly learned to take care of. No car company is perfect yet.
Old 12-10-05, 09:21 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

These soft leathers wear. It is going to happen. I heard that the dye is supposed to go down deeper in the semi-aniline (like the IS ) leathers so it shouldn't show as much. But wear is inevitable.