IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Active head restraints...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 10:50 AM
pmonag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active head restraints...

Anybody know if the new IS has them? - I don't see it in the specs. Seems like a glaring oversight in a new production car - especially since IIHS crash results include them as part of their testing. Not a HUGE deal, but always nice to know the old noodle is protected.
Old 12-05-05, 12:30 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pmonag
Anybody know if the new IS has them? - I don't see it in the specs. Seems like a glaring oversight in a new production car - especially since IIHS crash results include them as part of their testing. Not a HUGE deal, but always nice to know the old noodle is protected.
Don't believe so, but the head rest is already in close proximity to the noggin at default position; I don't think active head restraints add that much too your safety. Volvo, one of the biggest proponent of auto safety, doesn't have them, either (they do have WHIPS for whiplash prevention). The IS does have front knee air bags for both the driver and passenger.
Old 12-05-05, 03:19 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Manual headrests...

on the IS250/350. On the GS the driver's headrest will raise automatically when the seat is moved backwards but then you must manually reset it if need to put it back.
Old 12-06-05, 12:25 PM
SIRI
Driver School Candidate

http://www.japanesecarfans.com/news....g/lexus/1.html

look for WIL
Old 12-06-05, 01:07 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SIRI
that's is not the "active" head restraints he was referring to (head rests that move forward in a rear impact). This is the first time I see Lexus mention WIL--Volvo has been using a similar system. The IS has 2 front knee air bags that not even Volvo has.
Old 12-06-05, 04:40 PM
SIRI
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jlin101
that's is not the "active" head restraints he was referring to (head rests that move forward in a rear impact). This is the first time I see Lexus mention WIL--Volvo has been using a similar system. The IS has 2 front knee air bags that not even Volvo has.
you are correct, i just skimmed it.

it bothers me that lex doesn't offer active head restraints. audi, mb, bmw and some others have it, why doesnt lex offer this shlt?
Old 12-07-05, 06:26 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

you are correct, i just skimmed it.

it bothers me that lex doesn't offer active head restraints. audi, mb, bmw and some others have it, why doesnt lex offer this shlt?
Well, "active" doesn't necessarily mean more effective, just sounds fancier. Volvo, known for safety more than anything else, also chose to use whiplash prevention system, so all is not lost.
Old 12-07-05, 07:05 AM
SIRI
Driver School Candidate

Well, "active" doesn't necessarily mean more effective, just sounds fancier. Volvo, known for safety more than anything else, also chose to use whiplash prevention system, so all is not lost.
that's true but, when even kia offers it and lexus doesn't... just doesnt sit well with me. anyway, you cant have it all.
Old 12-07-05, 07:49 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

that's true but, when even kia offers it and lexus doesn't... just doesnt sit well with me. anyway, you cant have it all.
It doesn't matter if Kia has it--Korean cars offer longer warrnties than Lexus; German cars have free maintenance--still does not make a better car. If Volvo, the biggest fanatic of auto safety, doesn't have activer head rests, what does that say about its effectiveness. For all we know, WIL/WHIPS may be a superior system; few other makers have it because it's more sophisticated and expensive.

Last edited by jlin101; 12-07-05 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-29-05, 11:29 AM
rdollie
Rookie

I think a few of you missed the point with Volvo. They have the WHIPS system because they found in their research it was important to protect the WHOLE spine - not just the neck. This system debuted in 1998 on the '99 S80 and set IIHS' benchmark standard for rear-impact injury scores. Saab's system does second best as I recall but even now nearly 8 years later Volo's WHIPS is unsurpassed I believe. WHIP was a joint AutoLiv/Volvo development and was also implemented in the Merc S class as I recall.

It doesn't matter if Kia has it--Korean cars offer longer warrnties than Lexus; German cars have free maintenance--still does not make a better car. If Volvo, the biggest fanatic of auto safety, doesn't have activer head rests, what does that say about its effectiveness. For all we know, WIL/WHIPS may be a superior system; few other makers have it because it's more sophisticated and expensive.
Old 12-29-05, 12:01 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
on the IS250/350. On the GS the driver's headrest will raise automatically when the seat is moved backwards but then you must manually reset it if need to put it back.
this is too cool