IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Finally drove the IS 350 today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-05, 06:33 PM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by |mpulse
Bring some people with you next time, I brought 3 people with me each time I test drove a car and was really glad just for their input on the rear room/comfort and the vehicles overall.

I have done a few long trips (160+ miles roundtrip) with a couple different couples now and all have said they were really comfortable in the back.
I brought my brother with me. He's pretty a big guy - 6'2" 220 lbs. He did manage to sit behind me while I was comfortable seated in the driver seat. He had to straddle the front seatback to have enough leg room though.

After we drove the IS, we immediately went over the Infiniti dealer to drive the G35. He sat behind me again in that car and was clearly more comfortable. The G35 has a bit more leg room and also had reclining rear seats. The reclining feature is pretty smart. I wish the IS had that.

I have by no means ruled out the new IS, I was just a little disappointed with it's size. If Lexus does not try to gouge me on pricing, I just may end up with one. I am waiting until May or June so pricing and interest have time to drop a bit. I'll also have better luck selling my mustang in the warm weather. However, if Lexus isn't going to budge much of MSRP, I will probably get a G35. I think no more than $500 - $1,000 over invoice is fair profit for this car. Plus, there is already 2% dealer holdback built in of the base MSRP.
Old 11-27-05, 07:20 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
The first thing that entered my mind while sitting in the Lexus was how cramped I felt. For reference, I am 6'0" 195 lbs. I'm coming from a 2000 Mustang GT, and I felt more cramped in the Lexus. On paper, it's really not more cramped, but it felt that way. I think the lack of driver visability is what makes the interior feel cramped. The rear side and rear window visibility is really poor. The rear view is block by the head rests and the rear side windows are narrow by design. I managed to sit in the back seat, but you need to sit very upright. Rear seat head room is actually good because Lexus put the seats very low to the ground. Leg room is tight.

The Lexus salesman did the smartest thing possible. He gave me the key fob and said "have fun". He didn't even ask me for my license. It was be best soft sell tactic I could have ever imagined. The car I drove did NOT have the sport package. It was mica w/ lux. package, 18" wheels with summer tires, nav, ML sound system. I'm not commenting on the nav or ML sound system because I spent all my time driving the car vs. playing with features I don't plan on purchasing.

For not even having the sport package, I thought the car handled extremely well. Steering response and road feel were good, and the ride was comfortable. I spent about 20 mins. behind the wheel. I was also impressed with the paddle shifting response time. Shifting was quick and precise. I did a few full throttle runs up to 80 mph or so. The car is fast enough for me. It's not as explosive as my Mustang GT, but it builds speeds very nicely. I think Lexus built in a little electronic throttle lag, but I am willing to live with it. It just seemed like there is a slight hesitation when you stab the gas petal. VDIM even let the rear wheels spin on the 1-2 shift in power mode. I'll admit, VDIM was not too intrusive. However, it were an option, I would never get it.

Likes - engine, transmission/paddle shifters, power, handling, minimal road noise, Lexus build quality

Dislkes - rear seat room, engine/exhaust too quiet, no VDIM kill switch, price

Pretty sweet ride overall, I just need to convince myself that the car is large enough for my needs. I wish it was just a tad larger.
I am 6'3" 205lbs and didn't have any problems with space in the IS350. I also drive a 2003 Mustang Mach1 5 speed manual and to me the IS350 pulls almost as good off the line. The Mach1 is slightly heavier at 3465lbs than your GT so this probably adds to the perception.

The IS350 to me seems larger than the interior of the Mach1 and the IS350 legroom is much greater. I have to jam my knee between the left door panel and the steering wheel to clutch with the seat all the way back in the Mach1. The IS350's telescoping steering allows me to move the seat much farther back.

The Mach1 according to Motortrend goes 0-60 in 5.3 and according to Lexus so does the IS350 and from my driving experience this feels accurate. I like the IS350 and put my deposit down for an early 2006 delivery.
Old 11-27-05, 08:53 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I for one dont care about how big or small the rear seat is. I am single with no kids and dont need a huge rear seat.

If my passengers complain about the rear seat room then they should drive themself next time. I dont know what the big deal is.
Old 11-28-05, 06:31 AM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darrelld
I am 6'3" 205lbs and didn't have any problems with space in the IS350. I also drive a 2003 Mustang Mach1 5 speed manual and to me the IS350 pulls almost as good off the line. The Mach1 is slightly heavier at 3465lbs than your GT so this probably adds to the perception.

The IS350 to me seems larger than the interior of the Mach1 and the IS350 legroom is much greater. I have to jam my knee between the left door panel and the steering wheel to clutch with the seat all the way back in the Mach1. The IS350's telescoping steering allows me to move the seat much farther back.

The Mach1 according to Motortrend goes 0-60 in 5.3 and according to Lexus so does the IS350 and from my driving experience this feels accurate. I like the IS350 and put my deposit down for an early 2006 delivery.
Are you selling you Mach 1 to get the IS?
Old 11-28-05, 10:13 AM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
Are you selling you Mach 1 to get the IS?
Keeping the Mach1 and trading an 04 CTS for the IS350.