IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Issue with a dealer - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 11:03 AM
Morrissey
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with a dealer - what would you do?

This isn't a dire situation by any means, but I still think it's worth discussing. My IS350 was $38K MSRP (It has the premium package...one package below the base luxury package). Anyways, the car came with special chrome plated wheels, pin stripes, and a clear bra. The dealer priced the car at $41K, so he was basically slapping a $3K markup on the upgraded 18" wheels, clear bra, and pin stripe.

That isn't the problem. The problem is the salesman told me verbally that the car came with HID xenon adaptive lights. Yes, I should have done my homework to realize that his statement was false because I only have the premium package and not the luxury package. So I drove off the lot last week thinking I had xenon, even though in the back of my mind I could tell the lights weren't xenon.

I call the salesman yesterday and told him politely I was disappointed that he told me a false statement about the car. He apologized and said "I'm going to look at the specs of the car we sold you and get back to you". I have to go to the dealership tomorrow to pick up a garage door opener I left in the car I traded in, so do you guys recommend I bring up the subject again with the salesman? I mean, I don't know if I have the right to demand HID lights since the salesman told me my car came with them. I've never been a situation like this before...
Old 11-22-05, 11:22 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The short answer is enjoy your car. It's only my opinion, but other than letting the dealer know that you're disappointed in your salesman's behavior there's nothing you can do about it at this point. You bought the car (and in your own words, doubting at the time that the headlights were xenon). Also, the sticker would have indicated xenon equipment if that was included in the sales price. I hate to put it this way, but your opportunity to check for that equipment (xenon) expired when you signed-off on the deal. Others may opine that you should stomp your feet and raise a lot of dust with the dealer but, unless you can prove that you were deliberately misled (i.e., they hid the sticker from you), I don't see your situation that way.
Old 11-22-05, 11:25 AM
Serene
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Morrissey
The problem is the salesman told me verbally that the car came with HID
Lets see, number 1 thing my father told me, never ever let someone tell you something "verbally"....when it comes to you purchasing or doing business work. Everything these days is documented in terms of evidence. In that case, a receipt or you signing a contract should state that the car came with HID. If it did not, ...verbal statements from a salesperson is like me talking on the phone while I am taking a ****.

In Business Law Note comes in every situation when dealing with customers. What is a Note?

A written agreement containing a promise of the signer to pay to a named person, or order, or bearer, a definite sum of money at a specified date or on demand.

I am sorry, but I don't think there is anything you can do......Be careful next time. Receipt for everything is a MUST!
Old 11-22-05, 11:25 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I think you should bring it back up with him. Particularly if he told you this, shame on him for not checking the facts, after all he's the salesperson. But shame on you for believing whatever you were told when it is not only easy to check the facts on here/Internet but also to check out the lights before you drive off the lot.

Legally, you don't stand much of a chance since I believe you sign away saying there were no verbal promises and since a written contract will supercede a verbal one but if you had to go to small claims, you might get a few dollars out of a syphathetic judge.
Old 11-22-05, 11:32 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Serene
...verbal statements from a salesperson is like me talking on the phone while I am taking a ****.
hehe LOL
Old 11-22-05, 11:39 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Another good tip is to go car shopping with a friend (relative, spouse, whatever). That way if they tell you something shady, it's not just your word against theirs, but your friend's too. Sadly I think this is especially true for women, since many salespeople think they can bully/bs a woman more than a man. I even saw this when I was electronics shopping with a female friend a while ago. The salesman was very aggressively pushing some DVD player or something, but when I walked up, he backed off.

Back on topic - you might mention it to the dealer, that the salesman was misinformed. Do you think it was an honest mistake, or that he was misleading you on purpose in order to make the sale? Your answer to that question might affect how you want to proceed.
Old 11-22-05, 12:25 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Sorry to hear about your dealer issue.

I have two thoughts.

One: If you knew the car did not have xenons when you took delivery, I would let the matter drop. It sounds like you did not know but I want to test the point a bit.

Two, What does your contract state regarding the feature of the car? Mine listed the extras in the luxury package line by line. If the contract states xenons (though it should not), you have some traction under you regarding some reimbursement.
Old 11-22-05, 12:28 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Well you said it yourself... you should have done your homework. I don't know what more they can do for you but maybe you could convince the salesman/dealership to comp your 5k and 10k service.
Old 11-22-05, 01:03 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

verbal statements don't hold much water in court, especially when it comes to a dispute. When I bought my G35C a few years ago, the salesman promised to throw in aluminum pedals when they became available. He didn't put in on paper but assured me he would take care of me. Well the salesman quit (after working there for more than 10 years) before the pedals became available and the manager refused to honor the deal because he couldn't verify it. Sorry to say, but it was your job to check out the features (especially the ones important to you) before the paper was signed.
Old 11-22-05, 01:50 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

So what did you end up paying for the car?
Old 11-22-05, 03:04 PM
lexusboi
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
maybe you could convince the salesman/dealership to comp your 5k and 10k service.
And if he says no, then you can always take your bat out of the trunk.......and remember, as always, to post pics.