Print Wikipost

Wanna turn off VDIM? :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 06:05 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DallasLex
I wonder what the Car and Driver's test results would have been like if the VDIM had been disabled for their comparison with the E90. I bet the Lex would not have been a close second..
I bet so. The poor slalom test and skid pad results in particular where IS350 was totally hampered by the VDIM will definitely see the biggest improvement.
Old 11-22-05, 06:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
This is the VSC disable NOT VDIM. Come on guys...get the terms right!
are you trying to suggest that VDIM is still working? How and why would that be possible? We can word it like we want, but VSC, TRC and steering assist are OFF, all 3 part of VDIM sytem which is in that case basically not working or should we say not intervening.
Old 11-22-05, 09:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
are you trying to suggest that VDIM is still working? How and why would that be possible? We can word it like we want, but VSC, TRC and steering assist are OFF, all 3 part of VDIM sytem which is in that case basically not working or should we say not intervening.
Because you don't need all of the functions that VDIM controls to run the VDIM system. VDIM does control all the functions aforementioned seamlessly but not all of the functions are working all at the exact same time. You only mentioned two things that are turned off, VSC and TRAC. Where is the 3rd? VDIM is a control of all those safety functions...it's not a standalone item like VSC or TRAC per se.
Old 11-22-05, 09:58 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The more i'm reading the posts on my.is the more I think its time for me to go back to another Lexus dealer and find out. I've been to a Lexus dealer 3 times this week alone LOL.

Instead of these sequence of actions, there should be a simple button on the dash called "VDIM OFF".
Couldn't agree more! An engineer friend of mine put it best. VDIM is for the floozies who get this car as a gift with the big red bow on top and don't know how to drive it correctly. Therefore it should have a on/off button for the rest of us.
Old 11-22-05, 10:10 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by DallasLex
Couldn't agree more! An engineer friend of mine put it best. VDIM is for the floozies who get this car as a gift with the big red bow on top and don't know how to drive it correctly. Therefore it should have a on/off button for the rest of us.
Lexus used to offer a VSC OFF button which is what this exact function does mentioned in the first post. Everyone has jumped on the bandwagon calling this VSC disable a VDIM turn off trick...which it is not.
Old 11-23-05, 12:26 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

IMO, I think it's rather subjective. If the majority of the products VDIM controls are disabled, is VDIM still active? I suppose maybe. But what actually does VDIM still control, not the list of what VDIM is responsible for by default, but what do we actually KNOW it's still able to control when the trick upon startup is done? And isn't VDIM not fully functioning the way it was intended when the parking brake/foot brake trick is done? So by that rationale, isn't VDIM NOT functioning as it was intended, therefore is it THAT outlandish to say it's off?
Old 11-23-05, 05:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Because you don't need all of the functions that VDIM controls to run the VDIM system. VDIM does control all the functions aforementioned seamlessly but not all of the functions are working all at the exact same time. You only mentioned two things that are turned off, VSC and TRAC. Where is the 3rd? VDIM is a control of all those safety functions...it's not a standalone item like VSC or TRAC per se.
As I said, to be more politically correct - VDIM is not intervening anymore. Most people would call that off, although I am sure that power is not cut to the VDIM computer so it certainly is still "on". At the same time, you never were able to turn off "VSC" either, it just would intervene anymore... It still got power to it.

What matters though is that it is not assisting the driver in any way anymore.

But to sum it up, it is much easier to say it is off, even though it is on, just in "standby" mode...
Old 11-23-05, 06:10 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

As I said, to be more politically correct - VDIM is not intervening anymore. Most people would call that off, although I am sure that power is not cut to the VDIM computer so it certainly is still "on". At the same time, you never were able to turn off "VSC" either, it just would intervene anymore... It still got power to it.

What matters though is that it is not assisting the driver in any way anymore.

But to sum it up, it is much easier to say it is off, even though it is on, just in "standby" mode...
Incorrect. VSC and TRAC are disabled as they are not engaged. VDIM controls other components like Brake Assist, VGRS and ABS which is not dependent on VSC or TRAC to be operable. Most people have VDIM confused as VSC...which VDIM is not VSC.
Old 11-23-05, 07:03 AM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Incorrect. VSC and TRAC are disabled as they are not engaged. VDIM controls other components like Brake Assist, VGRS and ABS which is not dependent on VSC or TRAC to be operable. Most people have VDIM confused as VSC...which VDIM is not VSC.
i've seen someone ask you this before, but don't recall you answering. You keep saying VDIM is NOT disabled, because it controls several components and not just VSC & TRAC ,yada, yada, yada.

So the question to you is, exactly what component(s) is VDIM still controlling after the "trick" that causes you to keep claiming VDIM has NOT been turned off / disabled ?

Last edited by Lexus3oi; 11-23-05 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-23-05, 07:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Lexus3oi
i've seen someone ask you this before, but don't recall you answering. You keep saying VDIM is NOT disabled, because it controls several components and not just VSC & TRAC ,yada, yada, yada.

So the question to you is, exactly what component(s) is VDIM still controlling after the "trick" that causes you to keep claiming VDIM has NOT been turned off / disabled ?
The trick that is mentioned is only to disable VSC and TRAC simultaneously. Remember VDIM is not available on the Avalon where this VSC disable was found initially. VDIM still has control over ABS, BA and VGRS. I have answered this somewhere, I forgot if it was this thread, another thread or even on a few threads on my.IS. It's hard to keep up with trying to educate the masses who've already jumped on the bandwagon.
Old 11-23-05, 10:32 PM
|mpulse
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ABS, BA and VGRS.
Please give a COMPLETE list of the features that VDIM controls? And please, NO acronyms.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-05, 12:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by |mpulse
Please give a COMPLETE list of the features that VDIM controls? And please, NO acronyms.

Thanks!
Just to clarify, because the VSC/TRAC disable was found in a new Avalon owners manual, the Toyota Avalon DOES NOT have VDIM, which discredits the title to this whole thread. The original posted thread simply found a VSC disable as there was a VSC OFF switch on previous Lexus and Toyota models. Now it's simply a sequence of functions instead of proprietary VSC OFF switch. The point i've been making is, VDIM is NOT VSC or TRAC. VDIM is a control function which seamlessly integrates/operates each of the functions mentioned below in unison.

Since you're a little late to the thread, you may want to refer to my post# 65 of this thread here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=65

The definitions of each acronym as found in your owners manual and Lexus.com as requested.

VDIM = Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) [1] is a system which integrates braking, steering, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [2] and Traction Control (TRAC) systems to help minimize loss of traction in a turn.

TRAC = Traction Control - TRAC senses the onset of wheelspin, then selectively applies the brakes and automatically transfers power to the driving wheel with better grip. TRAC works in conjunction with Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [1]. VSC senses the onset of a loss of traction in a turn and orchestrates the brakes and throttle to help keep the driver on track.

VSC = Vehicle Stability Control - Lexus Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) is an electronic system designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control under adverse conditions. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver steering input can all affect whether VSC will be effective in preventing a loss of control.

BA = Brake Assist - The Brake Assist [1] system is a computer-controlled feature that helps the driver realize the full potential of the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). In some instances, drivers fail to push the brake pedal hard enough to engage ABS. Using the same brake actuator as the Traction Control (TRAC) system, Brake Assist senses a panic-stop scenario by judging how quickly and how forcefully the driver hits the brake pedal, automatically applying increased braking boost until the driver releases pedal pressure.

EBD - Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD): A computer-controlled system that precisely modulates the amount of fluid pressure to the brakes, helping to enhance control during braking.

ABS = Anti-lock Braking System (ABS): ABS adds computerized control to the brakes to help prevent wheels from locking up or skidding. ABS assists in maintaining directional steering ability while still slowing the vehicle. It can be useful on slippery surfaces. ABS is standard on all Lexus vehicles.

VGRS = Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) automatically adjusts the rack-and-pinion steering ratio, making it easier for you to manage every twist and turn of the road and maintain control at higher speeds.

Last edited by flipside909; 11-24-05 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-24-05, 02:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Yeah, but it is not VSC off only either. It is VSC + TRC off, with VDIM not intervening at all anymore. It is more correct to say that VDIM is off, than to say its VSC off.
Old 11-24-05, 05:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Yeah, but it is not VSC off only either. It is VSC + TRC off, with VDIM not intervening at all anymore. It is more correct to say that VDIM is off, than to say its VSC off.
VDIM still has control over the other functions other than VSC and TRAC. VSC and TRAC is OFF but not VDIM. Remember, this procedure was taken from a New Avalon owners manual. the new Avalon doesn't have VDIM. Calling this a VDIM disable procedure is false as you're only disabling two features of it's whole function.

We've already established this as a working function which I do not doubt one bit. By continuing to call this a VDIM disable is truely false as VDIM controls other safety functions mentioned above for the new GS430, IS350, RX400h, Highlander Hybrid just to name a few. I think alot of people have no idea what VDIM really is as they confuse VDIM with TRAC and VSC over and over, time and time again. BTW, you can spin the tires and lay some nice rubber tracks on the ground with just TRAC OFF (from the dash button next to the ECT PWR switch) but as the wheel speed gets to 35 mph, the computer will re-enable TRAC (retard engine power and actuate ABS) as it was designed to do. When i find time, i will render that part of the video and load it for everyone to see.

Last edited by flipside909; 11-24-05 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-24-05, 06:31 PM
izzyracer
Driver

VDIM still has control over the other functions other than VSC and TRAC. VSC and TRAC is OFF but not VDIM. Remember, this procedure was taken from a New Avalon owners manual. the new Avalon doesn't have VDIM. Calling this a VDIM disable procedure is false as you're only disabling two features of it's whole function.

We've already established this as a working function which I do not doubt one bit. By continuing to call this a VDIM disable is truely false as VDIM controls other safety functions mentioned above for the new GS430, IS350, RX400h, Highlander Hybrid just to name a few. I think alot of people have no idea what VDIM really is as they confuse VDIM with TRAC and VSC over and over, time and time again. BTW, you can spin the tires and lay some nice rubber tracks on the ground with just TRAC OFF (from the dash button next to the ECT PWR switch) but as the wheel speed gets to 35 mph, the computer will re-enable TRAC (retard engine power and actuate ABS) as it was designed to do. When i find time, i will render that part of the video and load it for everyone to see.
Hello Flipside909! You seem to be very knowledgeable with all this hupplah regarding this issue and I might add, appears to be well connected. Why not ask the people out at Toyota/Lexus Corp if this does turn off VDIM that controls all safety functions intellegently or just what you said.

Quick Reply: Wanna turn off VDIM? :)