Originally Posted by SanseiGS43
Works on the 2006 GS430 !!!!!
nice. now we need some smokeshow pics
Old 11-18-05, 03:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
Uh no. It was his opinion (not fact) and now your opinion too that VDIM can handle the car better than I can. It's my opinion that I can handle the car better than VDIM.

Two opinions, nobody is right, and nobody is wrong. Get it.?

Let me ask you this, if my rear end skids a little while going around a turn (oversteer), but I countersteer to correct, tell me why VDIM should need to kick in? A sliding car or momentary loss of traction does not always equate to a car out of control. VDIM presumes the car has lost all control. It doesn't know to a contribute a little or a lot, but I do.
It is not so plain in real life. If you are into it too much, or one of your wheels finds oil, dirt or ice while others dont, you will start spinning - with force. Not only it is hard to catch, or possibly impossible in many situations, you also have to consider that you are not alone on the road and that your space to manouver is very, very limited. You most likely wont be able to catch the car before you catch something else as well.

It is an fact that electronic nannies can do it better than humans - thats why ESP's have been banned in F1. Also, F1 will ban traction controls for startups to make starts slower and more interesting.

Its good that you feel better than F1 driver, but we are not talking about track, we are talking about street here. You dont drift through an corner on a street (especially in the USA). You have 10 feet of your line space, if you end up being out of it, then you might be in big trouble.

It doesnt really matter, great for you... But saying you can get your car back in the line better than VDIM, which has sensors reporting thousand times a second is really pretty ridicilous. You might like it better driving without it, but that doesnt mean you are better...

I suggest you actually test drive an IS350 and check the system out, before talking too much...
Old 11-18-05, 05:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok guys, drop it please. please get back in topic, this thread is not about what is better. thanks
Old 11-18-05, 08:18 PM
LexFather

THis has spread though the internet like wildfire. I wonder what Lexus thinks? Or did they know this would happen (a way to have the cars WITHOUT all the gadgets and it not being their fault)

Hmmmmmm

I have to test drive all the damn cars again I honestly wasn't seeing myself in a new Lex, but getting an older one, as for those that know me, I drive the cars like mad and any VDIM when I don't want it would hamper that.

This is great news.
Old 11-18-05, 08:41 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder what the Car and Driver's test results would have been like if the VDIM had been disabled for their comparison with the E90. I bet the Lex would not have been a close second..
Old 11-18-05, 08:47 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I wonder what Lexus thinks?
"Next time, let's not put the code in a Toyota's owner's manual."?

Seriously, I'm really surprised the answer was found right in the owner's manual of the Avalon. That was almost too easy.
Old 11-18-05, 08:50 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another important question everyone should be asking is if disabling the VDIM logs some sort of fault code. For example, with Audi, if you chip your car, you have to take out your current chip and replace it with the another chip. Doing this logs a power failure fault code. Dealerships would look for these codes when people came in with blown turbos to see if the customer chipped their car thereby voiding their warranty. You could clear these fault codes with a Vag-com but that is a different story

So, bottom line, does this log some sort of fault code or something else when you disable VDIM thereby voiding your warranty?
Old 11-18-05, 09:00 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy
Another important question everyone should be asking is if disabling the VDIM logs some sort of fault code. For example, with Audi, if you chip your car, you have to take out your current chip and replace it with the another chip. Doing this logs a power failure fault code. Dealerships would look for these codes when people came in with blown turbos to see if the customer chipped their car thereby voiding their warranty. You could clear these fault codes with a Vag-com but that is a different story

So, bottom line, does this log some sort of fault code or something else when you disable VDIM thereby voiding your warranty?
If the code really is in the Avalon's owner's manual, I don't think they're gonna void anyone's warranty for doing what they published.
Old 11-18-05, 09:14 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
If the code really is in the Avalon's owner's manual, I don't think they're gonna void anyone's warranty for doing what they published.

you would think that, but i would like to know for sure.... is there any "trail" left by disabling VDIM whether it be a fault code or something else? Remember the deal with doing those hard launchs on a SMG equppied M3. something along the lines of if you do more the 30 hard launchs you void your warranty in the US... something like that

flipside, rockville, or other lex techie guy, any thoughts on this?
Old 11-18-05, 10:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm still not convinced that sequence will disable VDIM. I will have to investigate this a little more to find out. I guarantee most people here will not drive the car hard enough to even notice VDIM react. VDIM is not VSC or TRAC ...it's a combination of seamless controls of all the features combined.

Why would Toyota publish this in the Avalon manual but not the GS430 or IS350 is beyond me.
Old 11-18-05, 10:20 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
I'm still not convinced that sequence will disable VDIM. I will have to investigate this a little more to find out. I guarantee most people here will not drive the car hard enough to even notice VDIM react. VDIM is not VSC or TRAC ...it's a combination of seamless controls of all the features combined.

Why would Toyota publish this in the Avalon manual but not the GS430 or IS350 is beyond me.
try to look into this if you can, even if it doesnt deactivate the entire VDIM, if the trac just shuts off for a long period of time (vs when it automatically kicks back in even when you disable it) that would be a plus...

and the paper trail flip, the paper trail, that is big... i would def NOT do this if it would void my warranty
Old 11-18-05, 10:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The more i'm reading the posts on my.is the more I think its time for me to go back to another Lexus dealer and find out. I've been to a Lexus dealer 3 times this week alone LOL.

Instead of these sequence of actions, there should be a simple button on the dash called "VDIM OFF".
Old 11-18-05, 10:52 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
Instead of these sequence of actions, there should be a simple button on the dash called "VDIM OFF".
agreed sir!
Old 11-18-05, 11:40 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

i was able to confirm that the sequence code does atleast keep the trac off light showing on the dash display. i ran a test on a sharp turn and kept the wheels spinning at over 40mph. that light still stays on. i would not recommend it for daily driving, the back wheels are broken loose very easily. sure it's cool to know it is available, but time to move on.

Quick Reply: Wanna turn off VDIM? :)