Print Wikipost

Wanna turn off VDIM? :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 08:42 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AgBlue
I just went out and did this, and it does in fact turn on the skid light. I am guessing that this does turn off the VDIM as that is how the Avalons are done. When doing it, make sure you alternate "foot brake foot brake.. hand brake hand brake.." sequence. I had to do it an extra time to get it to work. I haven't tested to see if you're capable of any 'vdim restricted' maneuvers yet. I'm still babying my car.
Thanks for the verification, AgBlue. I still don't understand why this secret sequence would be in the Avalon's owner's manual when there is no VDIM in the Avalon to begin with. But hey, if it works, why would anyone care? Kudos to whoever first discovered this! Knew it was only a matter of time. Now those who said VDIM was the ONLY reason that kept them from buying an IS can probably hop in the game.
Old 11-18-05, 08:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Thanks for the verification, AgBlue. I still don't understand why this secret sequence would be in the Avalon's owner's manual when there is no VDIM in the Avalon to begin with. But hey, if it works, why would anyone care? Kudos to whoever first discovered this! Knew it was only a matter of time. Now those who said VDIM was the ONLY reason that kept them from buying an IS can probably hop in the game.
i would assume it turns off VSC... in VDIM cars, VSC is still there, VDIM is just an big brain that makes it all work together, instead of independantly.... So when it is off, VDIM probably turns off as well...
Old 11-18-05, 08:48 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
i would assume it turns off VSC... in VDIM cars, VSC is still there, VDIM is just an big brain that makes it all work together, instead of independantly.... So when it is off, VDIM probably turns off as well...
Haha...now that you explained it, it seems quite obvious to me actually. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks.
Old 11-18-05, 08:52 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

okay, so once its off, how do you turn it baack on??? Thats if you want to do that.

Oh, by the way, this was a really quick find.

Damn, this probably works on the GS as well.
Old 11-18-05, 08:56 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wow,

all these codes...screw my nintendo, these codes are far more exciting. now...if i want to turn it back on, i suppose i would just do the same thing? i dont know if im going to turn it off at all, although after the seatbelt solution, i was going to make a post on how to turn of vdim that involved holding down the odometer button while going 40mph....other steps had to do with slamming into a tree (with button depressed), letting the airbag deflate, press odometer twice....and presto! talk about raining on my parade! someone REALLY figured it out!
Old 11-18-05, 08:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
For me, it's not about driving stupidly fast as you put it. Other than ABS braking, I feel I can do my driving better than a computer can do it for me. It's just plain crazy that Lexus doesn't let owners disable their system (without going to a circus of steps). I want to make the choice to use the system that been automatically installed on my car. I don't want Lexus to decide for me.

I wish stability control systems were listed option for people who really want to purchase the extra security.

I predict someone will deisign an aftermarket work-around that's easier than the steps described in this thread. Just give it some more time.

Anybody recall the GM "skip shift" crap on the Corvettes? The aftermarket took care of that.
huh? You can not put your car back into line better than VDIM. Even saying that is ridicilous.

ABS breaking is actually a lot simpler than anything else, and it would be the first thing you could "emulate", but to emulate VDIM, there is absolutly no way. VDIM brakes wheels independetly plus countersteers in order to get you back at line. Not only that, it uses gazllion of sensors in order to make it as quick as subtle as possible. You can only countersteer, and thats a lot less subtle than what computer does.

Seriously, now I can understand wanting to burn some rubber and drift your back at the track, but in real life, things happen that you absolutly have no control over, oil, ice, rain, even an bump on the road can spin your car around, especially with 306hp.
Old 11-18-05, 09:07 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by magneto112
okay, so once its off, how do you turn it baack on??? Thats if you want to do that.
I suppose it's only temporarily off for the life of that engine start and that it will be off again once the car is restarted.
Damn, this probably works on the GS as well.
Very probably so.
Old 11-18-05, 09:07 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by magneto112
okay, so once its off, how do you turn it baack on??? Thats if you want to do that..
Turning the car off and on resets.
Old 11-18-05, 09:49 AM
-JD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what exactly DOES this disable? Nobody seems to know... .
Old 11-18-05, 09:51 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

It's totally like the good old days of Nintendo! up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, b, a, start!
Old 11-18-05, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
I just wanna be there to watch one of you IS guys start your car! That must be hilarious.. legs moving, hands moving, pedals pressed, buttons tapped.. be careful to warn you passenger, they might think you are having a seizure

Start the car with the parking brake on
Foot brake twice....
(keep the foot brake down)....
Parking brake twice
(keep it down )
and repeat till skid light is on the dash

Then the Navigation bypass..

Hit MENU button on the right side of screen
Click on Volume.
Once in the Volume MENU, click on top left where the picture of the speaker is
Then Click on bottom left
Then Click on top left again, the picture of the speaker
Then Click on the bottom left again
It should bring you the SERVICE MENU
Once here, click on OVERRIDE
Keep holding it til you here a beep.
Once you hear a beep, the OVERRIDE should be highlighted
You MUST do this everytime you start your car.
haha yeah, very busy before the car actually moves i already need about 6 secs to override my nav every time i drive
Old 11-18-05, 10:43 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Just want to let everyone here know that LexusTBS @ my.is has personally verified that the code works by sliding everywhere in a dealer's demo car. Expect to see bald tires on every demo car at every dealer from now on.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 11-18-05 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-18-05, 10:43 AM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

is there a cheat code for God MODE = 1000hp, no damage, no need to refule, infinite NOS, radar invisible.

that cheat code should be something like :

open all windous, shift to D, close all windows, shift to M, right clicker(shifter) 3 upshifts, left clicker 2 downshifts, run out open trunk, back in tap brake 10 times , run out open/close pasanger side rear door 23 times back in, switch CD to cd # 3 track 16, when 25 sec of song elapsed run out open the hood, back in , simultaniously press sunroof open and rewind track 16, right blinker 10 blinks, left blinker 1 blink......................... repeat until nav screen says GOD MODE ON
Old 11-18-05, 10:50 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

haha. ideally in that mode you could go thru walls too...
Old 11-18-05, 10:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Now all the journalists & the mags can re-do all those tests again

Quick Reply: Wanna turn off VDIM? :)