Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Wanna turn off VDIM? :)

Old 06-05-06, 10:09 AM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
guys, don't try this on the 1st gen is300. it'll engage the self-destruct sequence.
LMAO!!!!!
Old 06-12-06, 08:48 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rljones
The VDIM seems to have a dedicated fuse (see manual).

Has anyone tried pulling that fuse to see if the VDIM control is removed (since pulling fuse is a fairly safe method to inactivate circuitry)?
Has anyone tried pulling this fuse yet? I sure could have used an easy way to disable the traction yesterday at the track. That dance I have to do when I start up the car is a PITA!!
Old 06-12-06, 10:59 PM
HaveBlue
Driver

I haven't seen a fuse for it. I pulled a sensor plug and that turned everything including ABS off but the car complains.

I'm working on a microprocessor circuit to turn it off but a switch on the fuse would be so much more simple and allow the DIY'er to get it done. I'll take a second look for a "VDIM" fuse.

POS TRAC VSC!
Old 06-13-06, 04:47 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
I haven't seen a fuse for it. I pulled a sensor plug and that turned everything including ABS off but the car complains.

I'm working on a microprocessor circuit to turn it off but a switch on the fuse would be so much more simple and allow the DIY'er to get it done. I'll take a second look for a "VDIM" fuse.

POS TRAC VSC!
Let us know
Old 06-17-06, 07:26 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

You know as much as I've done this, I just can't seem to get it to work again today. I've tried about 20 times today and I just can't disable it. Something just isn't right. It's like it's easy one day then the next it's impossible. Maybe the car is getting smart and deciding not to let me do it anymore. lol. Someone please come up with a hack to make this easier. A switch would be nice.
Old 06-17-06, 07:59 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Re: VDIM fuse

Old 06-17-06, 11:31 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

I was going to ask if we can just pedal dance at a stop light and disable it with the gear in P or do we have to shut down the engine completly and can only work during initial startup.
Old 06-17-06, 11:37 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I just went out and pulled that fuse and started the car and sure enough it does disable the TC and also disables the ABS. On top of that the car flashes "Check VSC" in display panel. Not one to give up I was just out again and doing the foot tap dance and I got the TC to disable 3 times. Seems like I can disable it about every 12th time or so. It really is becoming more of a hit or miss thing. Either there is a certain time between each foot pump or it's the time after you start the car that you should begin the foot pumps. I'm clueless here.
Old 06-17-06, 11:38 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
I was going to ask if we can just pedal dance at a stop light and disable it with the gear in P or do we have to shut down the engine completly and can only work during initial startup.
I've done it before where i just came to a stop and put it in park and did the foot dance. It disabled the T/C, so I know it's possible.
Old 06-17-06, 11:48 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
I've done it before where i just came to a stop and put it in park and did the foot dance. It disabled the T/C, so I know it's possible.

Cool. so that means I can disable it at a light just in case the civic next to me wants to see some smoke.

But then that doesnt explain why you can get it to turn off right now....

How many times are you repeating it?

Try just keep repeating the sequence up to 5 times... and try pumping maybe 3 times vs the said 2. I heard on Best Motoring Video when they reviewed the IS 350 in Japan the editor there said to pump 3 times each... and on the show they did that and it also turned it off.. I got VDIM to turn off with just 2 pumps each after a start up with the parking brakes already set. So... i think theres some leaway there or we really dont know the "EXACT" sequence.
Old 06-18-06, 10:20 AM
HaveBlue
Driver

I've never tried to do it with out having the engine off immediately prior. It sounds like the VDIM fuse does the same as unplugging the brake load cell connector and I suspect unplugging the yaw sensor. It complains on the dash board every few seconds and making the display useless. It's trading one thing for another unfortunately.

My microprocessors are still back ordered so I can't finish my VDIM disable box.
Old 06-18-06, 10:34 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I've never tried to do it with out having the engine off immediately prior. It sounds like the VDIM fuse does the same as unplugging the brake load cell connector and I suspect unplugging the yaw sensor. It complains on the dash board every few seconds and making the display useless. It's trading one thing for another unfortunately.

My microprocessors are still back ordered so I can't finish my VDIM disable box.
We are counting on you!
Old 06-18-06, 10:55 AM
HaveBlue
Driver

Yea, I'm hoping it works out too. I curse the engineer who invented this VDIM/TRAC. He should be fired. The car feels like my first car, a 1975 Datsun, that would bog out of the corners because the fuel would slosh around in the carburetor. I've come full circle This screams firmware upgrade from Lexus. I'd be happy if they put my little circuit design business out of business. While they're at it, program out the speed limiter. Hmm, maybe a next project, HAHA

Rep to BMW for putting in a proper button! Enthusiasts should look there first.

Last edited by HaveBlue; 06-18-06 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-18-06, 11:10 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Rep to BMW for putting in a proper button! Enthusiasts should look there first.
Always hats off to BMW!

But for 2007... Lexus is actually making a REAL Trac control button... or so they say...

But I wonder if its as real as BMWs DSC. button. or rather DTC button now... Cuz Mercs have their ESP button too but it still doesnt completly disable the traction control... if you really get into trouble ESP will still kick in.
Old 06-18-06, 11:58 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Ok after being fed up with this, I decided to get serious and look under the dash at the brake mechanism. Here is what I found. I used to be able to do the foot dance thing, but I guess I lost my step so now by actually doing this foot dance visually with my hands I get it 99% of the time. Reason I like to disable the traction control? Normal day to day driving this is unnessary, but for the track and on the dyno it is almost mandatory! At the 1/4mile last week, i dropped 4/10's off my 60' time and 4/10's off my 1/4mile just by turning the damn T/C off. The reason for this relatively big difference is that even the slightest bit of tire slip, the car will activate T/C and that pulls power from the throttle.

Traction Control Disable Procedure:
1. Engage emergency brake
2. Push foot brake to start car
2a. Ensure that when the foot brake is pushed in, that this yellow button is all the way out and not touching the foot brake mechanism.

4. Once car is started and you here a click under the dash (check complete) pump the foot brake twice so that this yellow button goes all the way in and all the way out and then HOLD it so the button stays out.
5. Push the emergency brake in and out twice (doesn't matter how hard or far in you push it, as long as it goes in and locks each time) and on the second push ensure it stays locked down.
6. Pump the foot brake twice more so that this yellow button goes all the way in and all the way out again.
7. Traction Control light will come on. This works 99% for me, but by doing this procedure with my feet it's nearly impossible. (White man can't dance syndrome I suppose) I guess i'm just a typical (Visual) guy.

Last edited by caymandive; 06-18-06 at 12:22 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanna turn off VDIM? :)