IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MP3 CD changer questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-05, 12:54 AM
xsfo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 CD changer questions

Can the CD changer play CD-RWs/CD+RWs and DVD-RWs/DVD+RWs?

Does the mp3 CD changer have a RANDOM play function?

If so:

Is the RANDOM function limited to playing a random track from the current playing folder only or can it play a random track from any of the folders on the CD?

Is the RANDOM function limited to the current playing CD only or can it play a random track from any of the CDs in the changer?

Has anyone tried playing a mp3 DVD in the IS?
Old 11-13-05, 02:45 AM
Kailua250
Driver

Not sure about the random functions but I do know that if you don't have nav then the system won't play DVDs. I tried it yesterday. Although I don't know that the system with nav will either.
Old 11-13-05, 04:16 AM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Will test this out tomorrow.. But i'm thinking that random will limit to the folder it is in.. though I'm not sure. The I just burned an mp3 cd tonight, but haven't had a chance to play with all the functions.
Old 11-13-05, 07:59 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by xsfo
If you have the stock Pioneer system it will NOT read or play any DVD Media.
Old 11-15-05, 03:06 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

Any new info?
Old 11-15-05, 05:57 PM
viet658
Driver

If so:

Is the RANDOM function limited to playing a random track from the current playing folder only or can it play a random track from any of the folders on the CD?

Is the RANDOM function limited to the current playing CD only or can it play a random track from any of the CDs in the changer?

The CD changer does have a RANDOM play button. It's not a typical RANDOM though. If you let it play on its own it will play random but if you hit forward to the next song it just goes to the next song on your file list, it doesn't choose the next song randomly if you skip forward. I get around this by pressing random twice, once to disable and once to enable again to go to next song.
Old 11-16-05, 08:15 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Random

If so:

You can random a single folder or the whole disk by holding the button down or just pressing it once. It works great if I make MP3 disks in genres, like rock or jazz or whatever - then I can just random the whole disk. Its all about folder organization with the Mp3 cds.
Old 11-16-05, 09:08 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
You can random a single folder or the whole disk by holding the button down or just pressing it once. It works great if I make MP3 disks in genres, like rock or jazz or whatever - then I can just random the whole disk. Its all about folder organization with the Mp3 cds.
what software do you use to make mp3 cd's? I tried Nero Burning Express, but after I added the files it wouldn't let me drag and rearrange the file order.
Old 11-16-05, 09:33 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
what software do you use to make mp3 cd's? I tried Nero Burning Express, but after I added the files it wouldn't let me drag and rearrange the file order.
Audio DVD Creator
Old 11-16-05, 09:58 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default itunes...for now

Originally Posted by jlin101
you arrange the mp3s by whatever category you want...i do mine by artist and then burn. seems okay but im open to other good software. tried easy creator, but itunes is easier imo
Old 11-16-05, 10:42 AM
xsfo
Pole Position

I use MP3BR Imager. This program allows you to make a CD image (that you can burn with Nero later) that has mp3 files in whatever order you put them in. The CD files appear listed in alphabetical order in Windows but on the mp3 cd player they'll be in the order that you put them in. It costs some money though.

Otherwise the cheap way is to add numbered prefixes to the mp3 files. Like:
01 - Artist - Song.mp3
02 - Artist - Song.mp3
etc.
Old 11-16-05, 02:47 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

On the stock pioneer system, the manual does say that CDRW discs can be used, however they may be read more slowly. I'm guessing the ML will too support cdrw and dvdrw. Not sure if + or - is an issue though.
Old 11-17-05, 07:19 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AgBlue
On the stock pioneer system, the manual does say that CDRW discs can be used, however they may be read more slowly. I'm guessing the ML will too support cdrw and dvdrw. Not sure if + or - is an issue though.
all you need to play the disc is to read it at 2-4X (for shock resistant memory function); spin the disc faster and you get noise, as in a computer.
Old 03-21-06, 02:26 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by viet658
The CD changer does have a RANDOM play button. It's not a typical RANDOM though. If you let it play on its own it will play random but if you hit forward to the next song it just goes to the next song on your file list, it doesn't choose the next song randomly if you skip forward. I get around this by pressing random twice, once to disable and once to enable again to go to next song.
Wow, this is an old thread. I am about to make a couple of mp3 CDs, and I didn't quite understand this comment about pressing random twice. I definitely want to be able to skip ahead randomly if I don't want to listen to that particular song. How does pressing the button twice help accomplish this?
Old 03-21-06, 02:34 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

The ML does in fact support CD-R and DVD-/+R both video, i have not gotten around to trying a dvd mp3 disk yet...

Quick Reply: MP3 CD changer questions