IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

any coin holders?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 03:05 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any coin holders?

i have a base is350 and i noticed there are no coin holders. do any of the other packages come w/ coin holders? just wondering
Old 11-11-05, 03:22 PM
jeffyee123
Rookie

I noticed the same thing...pretty much i'm going to put a cup in my arm rest and throw change in there. I do wish they had a few more little compartments here and there..but can't win them all...at least it keeps my car cleaner.
Old 11-11-05, 03:27 PM
OUMalibu
Rookie

Same problem in the new RX...

In fact, they have a completely useless cup holder to the left of the steering wheel that would be the perfect spot and size, especially when you consider there are already two big cupholders in the center console.

Hard to understand their thinking.
Old 11-11-05, 03:40 PM
Dr C
Driver

I put a flat piece of cork in the bottom of the ash tray so I can put coins in it and not have the noise as they move around. It's available since I won't let anyone smoke in my car. This worked just fine in my BMW for the past 3 years.
Old 11-11-05, 07:32 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default punch outs for coin holders

If I remember correctly the first IS didn't have coin holders in the beginning, then they added one to the left of the steering wheel.

It looks like there are plenty of "punch outs" in that same area on the new model. It would be great if you could add some down the road.
Old 11-11-05, 09:07 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As a previous owner of IS300 (just got the new IS350 yesterday!), I should tell you that there is a non-smoker box which replaces the ashtray of IS300 in Japan. I used it solely as the coin-holder. The outside of this non-smoker box is exactly the same as the regular ashtray. The difference lies in the inside. It has felt lining inside.

For IS350/IS250, I came across the Lexus.jp web site where the non-smoker box is listed in their dealer's option. So the best bet is to find this on the internet as a JDM part. Having said that, the ashtray is much smaller and has a narrow entry in the new IS than the last generation IS300.

AndyL
Currrent car: 2006 IS350 Tungsten Pearl/black interior, Luxury package w/ 18in stock wheels
Last car: 2001 IS300 Silver IC0 w/ black escaine & leather interior
Old 11-11-05, 10:29 PM
izzyracer
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you guys tried releasing the ashtray. I had to take it out just to get teh coins I placed in there (so deep), It comes out smooooooth when you move the small notch. Like when you open the Eyeglass container on top. It's funny how they get into this details
Old 11-12-05, 08:58 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I did it when I was in the showroom the other day. But I found more and more amazing details to attention after I took the delivery of the car.
Old 11-13-05, 02:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by knox_sport
If I remember correctly the first IS didn't have coin holders in the beginning, then they added one to the left of the steering wheel.

It looks like there are plenty of "punch outs" in that same area on the new model. It would be great if you could add some down the road.
yep, note to all drivers - if you have standard size punch out free (and you most likely do), any coin holder from past 10 years from any toyota vehicle will snap in pretty nicely and quickly...
Old 11-14-05, 06:49 PM
the lndr
Driver

thanks for the punchout info and I was empressed by the ashtry/coin holder release button
Old 05-06-07, 12:31 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep, note to all drivers - if you have standard size punch out free (and you most likely do), any coin holder from past 10 years from any toyota vehicle will snap in pretty nicely and quickly...
Anyone have a part number from any Lexus / Toyota vehicle I can do this with? All 3 of my punch-outs are free and I'd really like to do this mod.

Also... anyone tried this?

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Accesso...8&s=automotive

Does it fit in the ash tray?
Old 05-06-07, 12:37 PM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Theres a few options HERE but none of them are cheap!
Old 05-06-07, 03:26 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nabisco
Theres a few options HERE but none of them are cheap!
Huh, couldnt find anythingfor it there.... but if its pricey imnot interested. Holding change in my car isnt that important to me.
Old 05-06-07, 09:37 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Wow never thought of the ashtray. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-06-07, 09:48 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took the ashtray out and place most coins in there. The ashtray has a pretty small opening, I can barely fit my fingers in there, so I just took it out and have a nice area for coins. I also took the cigarette lighter out for a brief period but a coin went in there and shorted out the lighter(now it doesn't work).

Quick Reply: any coin holders?