IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dirty laundry

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 09:42 AM
gstois
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirty laundry

OK, as much as I love my IS350, I have a few issues with this car that I never had with the GS.

1. After delivery I noticed a small pin-size hole in the seam between the dash and the ac vents above the nav screen. It almost looks someone poked it with the tool used to remove the vents.
2. The protective film was not removed from the clear plastic strip next the shifter (the one that has the P N D, etc.). As soon as I removed it, I noticed a small scratch or crack in it at the very end.
3. I have noticed a high pitched vibration/rattle/buzz coming from the dash when I am on a less smooth road (like certain bridges, or sections of the freeway where you get a lot of tire noise).

I have called the dealer to let them know, but haven't had time to go in yet. I sure hope they can fix this stuff. It's annoying, especially after paying full price for the car. Very un-Lexus.
Old 11-10-05, 09:46 AM
lexusboi
Rookie

Sorry to hear that you got duped into paying MSRP. Good luck with fixing the scratches!
Old 11-10-05, 09:57 AM
gstois
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusboi
Sorry to hear that you got duped into paying MSRP. Good luck with fixing the scratches!
That part is the least of my concerns. It partly the price you pay for getting one of the first off the boat, expecially the Lux/nav package. I was due for the 60k service and license fees on my GS, so any money that I would save from waiting however long it will take to deal on these cars would have been offset by some expenses on my GS. I bargained really hard on my trade in and was able to recoup 50% of what I paid for the GS, a 5 year-old car with 60k miles. Other than the minor imperfections, I feel pretty good about it.
Old 11-10-05, 10:08 AM
lexusboi
Rookie

Do you have ML?
Old 11-10-05, 10:15 AM
the lndr
Driver

sorry to hear about that . They always stand behind the product you should not have any problems. When I saw your title I was thinking of the floor mats. The light colored (cashmier)mats in my new car look like they are a year old and already shreading. How about yours?
Old 11-10-05, 10:22 AM
gstois
Rookie

Do you have ML?
no. I did on my GS, and have to say that the stock system in the IS is better in some ways than the ML in my GS. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the ML system in the IS rocks, but it's all relative. Keep in mind, this is coming from a self-proclaimed audiophile, with a history of high-end audio gear. The main advantage that I see in the IS-ML system is the DVD changer, which is something that I'll never use.
Old 11-10-05, 10:26 AM
gstois
Rookie

Originally Posted by the lndr
sorry to hear about that . They always stand behind the product you should not have any problems. When I saw your title I was thinking of the floor mats. The light colored (cashmier)mats in my new car look like they are a year old and already shreading. How about yours?

Interesting, I have the grey (sterling?) interior and it comes with black carpet and mats. I was wondering if that was the case with the cashmier - I guess not.
Old 11-10-05, 10:47 AM
lexusboi
Rookie

Yeah I have an IS 350 without ML either, but the sound is definitely top notch for me. Any chance there will be some mod in the future where you can play DVD movies on the Navigation Screen on a non-ML system?
Old 11-10-05, 10:53 AM
gstois
Rookie

Yeah I have an IS 350 without ML either, but the sound is definitely top notch for me. Any chance there will be some mod in the future where you can play DVD movies on the Navigation Screen on a non-ML system?
I have no idea. I am more interested in screens in the headrests for my kids. I know that there are headrests for the GX with built-in dvd players. I wonder if they'll offer the same for the IS.
Old 11-10-05, 11:28 AM
lexusboi
Rookie

Originally Posted by gstois
I have no idea. I am more interested in screens in the headrests for my kids. I know that there are headrests for the GX with built-in dvd players. I wonder if they'll offer the same for the IS.
Perhaps, but remember that the GX is a people hauler, while the IS is much less of a family oriented car. I hope that we can get the cd changer changed to DVD as a dealer installed option in the future....
Old 11-10-05, 07:32 PM
izzyracer
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gstois
Where can we find those in aftermarket.