IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Major Break Dust on IS350

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-05, 06:34 PM
IluvIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Break Dust on IS350

The only complain I have so far is the front wheels have major break dust or something...after like several days....my front wheels become black with break dust...I hate that
Old 11-03-05, 07:11 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Yep same happen with mines...it probably wear off later on.
Old 11-03-05, 07:14 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

High friction brack pads and rotors = dust and shorter life. Lexus even spells it out in their materials.
Old 11-03-05, 08:16 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the best cleaning solution for the wheels?
Old 11-03-05, 08:50 PM
chieway
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kensteele
What's the best cleaning solution for the wheels?
wash them each time after you hanged around with your car
Actually...what I wanna say is if you leave them alone for a couple of days,you'll fine it more hard to clean the dust up as beginning

Last edited by chieway; 11-03-05 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-03-05, 09:01 PM
ShooExpert
Rookie

why not change to ceramic brake pads? Ceramic brake pads don't produce brake dust and they provide the same stopping power in addition to longer life. A no brainer to me unless someone can tell me otherwise.
Old 11-04-05, 12:19 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

G35 is well known for producing a lot of brake dust on the front wheels, I guess IS350 might have the same problem too.
Old 11-04-05, 06:22 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
why not change to ceramic brake pads? Ceramic brake pads don't produce brake dust and they provide the same stopping power in addition to longer life. A no brainer to me unless someone can tell me otherwise.
cost and noise
Old 11-04-05, 06:38 AM
dennis250
Driver

Originally Posted by jlin101
cost and noise
And wear/tear on the rotors. I don't know about lexus, but many oem rotors will warp with harder aftermarket pads. Audi rotors had tendency to warp with EBC Green Stuff pads which are their street pads.
Old 11-04-05, 06:52 AM
OUMalibu
Rookie

I know you can buy aftermark shield that mount behind the wheels to reduce brake dust, but I assume they cause the brakes not to cool properly and thus are not such a great idea?
Old 11-04-05, 07:20 AM
dennis250
Driver

Originally Posted by OUMalibu
I know you can buy aftermark shield that mount behind the wheels to reduce brake dust, but I assume they cause the brakes not to cool properly and thus are not such a great idea?
ya, not a good idea. Too much heat that can't escape which again will contribute to warped rotors.

What I would do is get some Mintex Red Box pads (if they make these for the IS). They have very little dust compared to soft stock pads and are not so hard that you have to worry about your rotors. I've used them on all my german cars and they have been a great compromise. And the dust that is generated seems to be easier to clean off for some reason.
Old 11-04-05, 07:55 AM
ShooExpert
Rookie

Originally Posted by dennis250
And wear/tear on the rotors. I don't know about lexus, but many oem rotors will warp with harder aftermarket pads. Audi rotors had tendency to warp with EBC Green Stuff pads which are their street pads.
Hmmm, I didn't know that. Clearly they can't warp all rotors can they because if they do then why do people use them? Perhaps there is a certain rotor that won't warp?
Old 11-04-05, 07:55 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OUMalibu
not to mention they are ugly--blocking the brake rotor with a black metal dish.
Old 11-04-05, 08:21 AM
dennis250
Driver

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
Hmmm, I didn't know that. Clearly they can't warp all rotors can they because if they do then why do people use them? Perhaps there is a certain rotor that won't warp?
Oh ya, definitely. All oem rotors are different, and I think the Audi A4 rotors were extra soft/thin compared to others. But if they do warp, that's always a good excuse for new rotors! You can get some EBC powerslot rotors for around $120 a pair maybe? And you know they'll work with EBC pads. And they'll look a lot better than the stock rotors, so that's a bonus.
Old 11-04-05, 08:40 AM
ShooExpert
Rookie

Originally Posted by dennis250
Oh ya, definitely. All oem rotors are different, and I think the Audi A4 rotors were extra soft/thin compared to others. But if they do warp, that's always a good excuse for new rotors! You can get some EBC powerslot rotors for around $120 a pair maybe? And you know they'll work with EBC pads. And they'll look a lot better than the stock rotors, so that's a bonus.
Sheee-it, I would gladly pay $240 for some rotors with the ceramic brake pads if it meant no brake dust. Brake dust look slike complete crap.

Ok so if you upgrade the rotors and put in ceramic brake pads, wouldn't that be a better solution then dealing with the brake dust? What other downsides are there to doing this?

Quick Reply: Major Break Dust on IS350