IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson -vs- Pioneer - The Showdown

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-05, 12:48 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Percy
On the brochure it looks great. Titanium. Neodynium. DSP. 24bit. MARK LEVINSON. LEXUS. Flashy flashy. Ooh yay!

Bottom line.

CRAP.
Wow...quite a magnificent write-up. To the untrained ears such as mine, I had no idea the 2nd-gen ML system is that bad. I was very much blown away to say the least in the one chance I had to try the ML system in the new GS with my favorite test CDs. I thought the bass in particular was much more satisfying than the 1st-gen ML in even the LS430. The ML system in the new GS is even the only system so far to ever score a perfect 10.0 in Edmunds' stereo evaluation.
Originally Posted by Edmunds
Bass is tight, accurate and never overbearing while highs come through with flawless accuracy.
Definitely not saying you don't know what you're talking about. You more than surely do. I'm just very curious to hear what your Dynaudio setup sounds like and if my ears will ever be able to tell its superiority over the ML system.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 10-21-05 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-21-05, 01:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

What happened to talking about the stock stereo and the ML upgrade for the New IS?Not to start a flame war here, but it's not like you're going to drive down the freeway with all the road/wind noise cruising at 70mph listening to how clear the highs are or how voices sound nasal while on the road.

Most of us know for a fact, an aftermarket component system that is selected carefully will outdo many stock systems. That's a given. Let's stay on track and talk about the New IS' ML and Pioneer systems. Talk about the aftermarket in a new thread, send your O/T to PM or better yet, let's talk about ML vs. Aftermarket here: Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics .

Last edited by flipside909; 10-21-05 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-21-05, 09:49 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
What happened to talking about the stock stereo and the ML upgrade for the New IS?Not to start a flame war here, but it's not like you're going to drive down the freeway with all the road/wind noise cruising at 70mph listening to how clear the highs are or how voices sound nasal while on the road.

***With the relatively quiet interior of the IS at highway speeds, you'll notice. But, it should be a fairly straight highway as most of the concentration should be on driving... ***

Most of us know for a fact, an aftermarket component system that is selected carefully will outdo many stock systems. That's a given. Let's stay on track and talk about the New IS' ML and Pioneer systems. Talk about the aftermarket in a new thread, send your O/T to PM or better yet, let's talk about ML vs. Aftermarket here: Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics .
***Stock system w/aftermarket speakers vs the ML. That's what kinda blurs the line on the topic here. It's still stock, at least the electronics are.***

Percy
Old 10-21-05, 09:55 AM
Percy

Originally Posted by cooney
Percy, what would you do for the stock Pioneer system in the IS250/350?

Stock speakers are 1", 2½" & 6½" in each door and an 8" "subwoofer" on the rear shelf.

Would you run Dynaudio speakers two-way in each door, with their MD 100 tweeter and MW 160 low-range, which should be close substitutes for the smallest and largest of the stock speakers? In that event, I assume you'd use the Dynaudio two-way cross-over.

***You could do alot of different configs, but the easiest way is to run a MD100 in the stock location and a MW160 in the stock location. Should work out nicely.***

Or would you recommend a three-way system using Dynaudio speakers? If so, please elaborate.

***You could...but the mid for Dyn is the MD140, and it's not a small 2.5 inch, but rather a 3 inch mid. The physical size is 4.7 inches in diameter. The voice coil ITSELF is 3 inches in diameter!***

In either case, would you substitute the Dynaudio MW 180 or MW 190 for the stock subwoofer?

***MW180 as it's a 9 inch diameter woofer. Should work out.***

Finally, if you were doing this in phases, which speakers would you replace first, i.e., what's the most bang for the buck? I'd assume the front speakers.

***Front speakers first!!!***

Thanks,

cooney
Let's take this over to my realm...Car Audio/Electronics. Welcome!

Percy
Old 10-21-05, 10:45 AM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Percy's write-up is outstanding. Even though he obliterates what I likely just payed $1,000 for, I really appreciate knowing there is room for improvement.

Here is where I stand on the issue:

I went back for a 2nd test drive yesterday. I had an IS 350 to myself for 30 minutes. Without listening to the ML first, or after, I ran the standard stereo through my test CD. I'm as far from an audiophile as you can get, and that might a good thing, I'm not sure.

The standard system really sounded outstanding to me. I have done this before, and became disappointed after switching off an ML equipped GS430. This time I stayed away from the ML and remained really impressed with the stock system.

As for all of the things Percy mentioned, they don't really apply to me since my ear is dumb. My perception of sound quality between the two was extremely noticeable. I have not heard ML in an IS.

I'm really glad to hear what Percy has to say about this, and am going to take the opportunity to upgrade my speakers.

I am curious about the difference between the LS and GS. Getting into an LS is like crawling into a cotton ball. The interior accoustics are much, much different. I wonder if that has something do with it. I would agree that the IS might be more like the GS than LS.

One last thing:

Percy said "Dyns with Pioneer sound much better than GS with ML". I'm comparing stock Pioneer vs ML here. Percy, do you remember the "do you see where I'm going with this" comment you made in another thread? You were talking about how good ML would be with Dyns. I'd rather see a review about ML with Dyns vs Pio with Dyns.

IMHO, Pio with Dyns vs ML with stock is almost like apples and oranges.

I do think there is value in a recommendation to upgrade Pio with Dyns, but we're still missing how much better ML would be with Dyns. THAT might salvage the need to upgrade to ML.
Old 10-21-05, 11:23 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Percy, great write-up. Remember though, we're in a CAR, not at home in our home media room. Road & wind noise will take away any minute detail of a top-end speaker.

I am not too sure about simply swapping ML or Pioneer speakers for Dynaudio speakers. Those Dynaudios are power-hungry as are most high-end aftermarket speakers...if you're not giving them enough juice, then you're doing a disservice to them and your ears! The weak link would then be the ML/Pioneer amplifier.
Old 10-21-05, 11:55 AM
Percy

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Percy, great write-up. Remember though, we're in a CAR, not at home in our home media room. Road & wind noise will take away any minute detail of a top-end speaker.

***True. Now IF ML actually did 1000 hours of REAL productive listening and measurements as well as tuning, then they would actually get somewhere. ML is hyping all the "DSP chain" and "preserving delicate detail", but are they in reality? No. Truth is, there is more sophisticated tuing equipment available in a car enviroment than any home enviroment. You rarely find parametric EQs in home setups (they're the standard graphic eqs) but you do find them in car audio. Time correction can be found in both home/car but the more sophistaced being for the car (F#1 status). If ML had a REAL high end DSP, then they would combat road and wind noise in perhaps a possible sound canceling scheme. F#1 has this...and they're not hyping a 100,000 dollar "snotty" home system or their laurels and accomplishments.***

I am not too sure about simply swapping ML or Pioneer speakers for Dynaudio speakers. Those Dynaudios are power-hungry as are most high-end aftermarket speakers...if you're not giving them enough juice, then you're doing a disservice to them and your ears! The weak link would then be the ML/Pioneer amplifier.
***First thing to combat would ALWAYS be the speakers. Dyns can take the power and are the most durable speakers I've yet encountered. 88-89db at 1w/1m isn't all that bad. You can still effectively power them with as little as 1/2 a watt and they'll still sound quite good. That's still at 85 dbA. Where the fiction, so to speak, comes in is when the Dyns handle high levels of power. People automatically think...gee...I need at least 100 wpc rms to sound good. Not true. Are you really listening at 100 wpc rms? That would put you in the 109-112 dbA region. The Dyns can handle 1000 wpc rms for 10ms. It's nice to have reserve power handy, but by no means is it an end all. Check out the car audio forum/car electronics. There are some people that are running stock pioneer amps with Dyn speakers...and they perform quite well. After that, the weak link would be the ML/Pioneer HU preamp. Then the amp.***

Percy
Old 10-21-05, 12:00 PM
Percy

[QUOTE=GonzoBuggs]
Percy said "Dyns with Pioneer sound much better than GS with ML". I'm comparing stock Pioneer vs ML here. Percy, do you remember the "do you see where I'm going with this" comment you made in another thread? You were talking about how good ML would be with Dyns. I'd rather see a review about ML with Dyns vs Pio with Dyns.

QUOTE]

So would I!!!

Percy
Old 10-21-05, 12:15 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

So would I!!!

Percy
That's OK, I'll still vote for you for president!

I'll probably upgrade mine to Dyns. Maybe you can come visit me in California.
Old 10-21-05, 04:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Hm, I dont think it is really fair to compare GS ML system in IS forums... who knows, maybe it was tuned better in IS? In any case, we should not make assumptions...

Otherwise, for the same budget of 1k, can you make stock Pioneer sound better than ML? (installation included of course) If not, then comparison itself should mention this :-).
Old 10-21-05, 04:39 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
Hm, I dont think it is really fair to compare GS ML system in IS forums... who knows, maybe it was tuned better in IS? In any case, we should not make assumptions...

Otherwise, for the same budget of 1k, can you make stock Pioneer sound better than ML? (installation included of course) If not, then comparison itself should mention this :-).

I think Percy has made a valuable point. There are lots of people out there who didnt want to wait 3-4 months for ML, and might be disappointed that they couldnt get Mark Levinson when they wanted it. Percy has given them an amazing opportunity to possibly exceed ML with a small investment.

What is missing is that it is likely that ML is more than worth it. If Pioneer sounds so much better with a Dyn upgrade, what does ML sound like with that same upgrade??

Either way, people without ML can rejoice as they too can have a higher level of audio quality. That was the whole purpose of getting ML to begin with; limited upgrade options. Percy has blown the doors off that theory.
Old 10-21-05, 08:28 PM
tomrx330
Driver School Candidate

Remember when you're driving, you certainly can't claim ML is superior than Pioneer. Too much ambience noise when the car is moving.

For home audio is another matter.
Old 10-21-05, 08:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The ML/Nav system is advantageous over the base Pioneer w/Nav in a sense DVD playback isn't available for the Pioneer. That's a clear winner for those who want DVD playback in their car.
Old 10-21-05, 09:12 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

Originally Posted by tomrx330
Remember when you're driving, you certainly can't claim ML is superior than Pioneer. Too much ambience noise when the car is moving.

For home audio is another matter.

Compared to my '98 Honda Civic, the road noise in the IS is almost non-existent. I know it's there, but it really feels silent to me after getting out of that horrible car.

Again, I'm not a sophisticated listener, so the draw to ML for me is the more powerful bass and louder sound without distortion. I honestly can't tell if it's clearer or not. It just sounds better for reasons I can't explain.

I do understand what you're saying though. I just think it applies more to those with a more intelligent ear.
Old 10-22-05, 05:26 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, Percy is comparing a $7-10,000 system to ML...and then complaining why the ML does not sound AS GOOD. Well, if Lexus could get $7000-10K extra from people who buy ML-equipped Lexus, then i am sure that Lexus can make a system that will match or beat Percy's dream system.

The Dynaudio speakers alone cost more than $1000! And yet, the Pioneer/Dynaudio system does not sound as good as LS430's ML...and only slightly beat out GS430 ML (according to Percy's bias ears, considering that he does not want to suffer buyer's remorse subconciously).

Or another way to put it...with the same amount of money, you can get the whole ML system with DVD NAVI ......OR...... if you go aftermarket, then you can ONLY get the Alpine F1 headunit without speakers or amplifier. Which do you think will sound better??!!

BIG question (and only question) here is...can you match ML by spending the EQUIVALENT AMOUNT on aftermarket goods?? I doubt it.

Apples to apples, right?

Last edited by tigmd99; 10-22-05 at 05:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson -vs- Pioneer - The Showdown