IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Getting wood trim on the performance pkg?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 07:56 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
the thing is the "aluminum" trim isn't even faux aluminum, it's just painted silver plastic, is it not?
It's probably plastic that looks metallic. Whereas the wood is real, but looks plastic.
Old 10-18-05, 09:52 AM
Minarets
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the wood in the black interior looks awsome.
Old 10-18-05, 10:32 AM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

After changing my order from Performance to Luxury yesterday, I did a LOT of research and thinking about what the best choice is. I think I have finally come to a sensible conclusion.

The first thing we should put on the table is that ALL IS 350s come with 18" wheels of the same size, so that isnt something that needs to be considered. There are some accessory wheel optoins that can be included in an order, but the size of all wheels is the same.

What do you get with the Luxury Package that you don't get on the Performance Package?

1. Illuminated scuff plates.
2. Power rear sun-shade.
3. Wood trim.

What do you get with the Performance Package that you don't get on the Luxury Package?

1. Sport pedals.
2. Metallic trim.
3. 1/2" spring drop and tighter suspension.

The suspension on Performance equipped vehicles is the same as the stock European suspension.

Here are some decision points:

1. If you want the Performance package, and LIKE metallic trim, you're good.
2. If you want the wood trim, and like the other Lux adds, I would get Luxury.
3. If you are going with Cashmere leather, don't get the Performance package.
4. If you plan on modding your suspension, get Luxury.
5. If you are on the fence, get Luxury and mod your suspension later, if needed.

I think it is going to be pretty difficult to switch the interior trim. Buying it will be REALLY expensive, and it might be difficult to remove. I was told the center console piece of a GS is $800. If you like the options that come with the Luxury package, you will find it MUCH harder to add those than you will modding your suspension, AND after market suspension > stock Performance suspension.

For my preference, getting the Luxury package, with all the goodies I want, then dealing with suspension in the after-market will give me a far superior vehicle than if I went with the Performance package.

That is my 2 cents.
Old 10-18-05, 10:45 AM
R1C3boiGTS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GonzoBuggs
After changing my order from Performance to Luxury yesterday, I did a LOT of research and thinking about what the best choice is. I think I have finally come to a sensible conclusion.

The first thing we should put on the table is that ALL IS 350s come with 18" wheels of the same size, so that isnt something that needs to be considered. There are some accessory wheel optoins that can be included in an order, but the size of all wheels is the same.

What do you get with the Luxury Package that you don't get on the Performance Package?

1. Illuminated scuff plates.
2. Power rear sun-shade.
3. Wood trim.

What do you get with the Performance Package that you don't get on the Luxury Package?

1. Sport pedals.
2. Metallic trim.
3. 1/2" spring drop and tighter suspension.

The suspension on Performance equipped vehicles is the same as the stock European suspension.

Here are some decision points:

1. If you want the Performance package, and LIKE metallic trim, you're good.
2. If you want the wood trim, and like the other Lux adds, I would get Luxury.
3. If you are going with Cashmere leather, don't get the Performance package.
4. If you plan on modding your suspension, get Luxury.
5. If you are on the fence, get Luxury and mod your suspension later, if needed.

I think it is going to be pretty difficult to switch the interior trim. Buying it will be REALLY expensive, and it might be difficult to remove. I was told the center console piece of a GS is $800. If you like the options that come with the Luxury package, you will find it MUCH harder to add those than you will modding your suspension, AND after market suspension > stock Performance suspension.

For my preference, getting the Luxury package, with all the goodies I want, then dealing with suspension in the after-market will give me a far superior vehicle than if I went with the Performance package.

That is my 2 cents.
Yeah, like the look of the wood on black leather, but also do not want to start modding my car... I planned to leave this car stock. I spent plenty of money modding my 00' Celica GT-S already. I guess I would have to see the aluminum trim 1st and see what that looks like in person. To those of you that has the performance package, did you drive the non sport suspension? How does it compare? Also, does the aluminum make the car feel "un-lexus" like?
Old 10-18-05, 10:56 AM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

Originally Posted by R1C3boiGTS
Yeah, like the look of the wood on black leather, but also do not want to start modding my car... I planned to leave this car stock. I spent plenty of money modding my 00' Celica GT-S already. I guess I would have to see the aluminum trim 1st and see what that looks like in person. To those of you that has the performance package, did you drive the non sport suspension? How does it compare? Also, does the aluminum make the car feel "un-lexus" like?
I would probably rather not mod it as well, but I'm guessing you can get a better suspension result than the Performance package for ~ $800.

There are some really good pictures above that show the difference between the wood and metal, though I'm sure that perspective will change in person.
Old 10-18-05, 11:31 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Although I haven't seen the metallic trim in person, I have seen the wood. Although it looks fine, I just can't bring myself to drive a car with wood trim. I don't feel that old, yet. If lexus were to offer the black wood with black leather, I would consider that. But they never will, they don't offer that combo on the GS. Like I said, I don't know what the alu trim looks like, but based on the pics I've seen, it looks good with all interior colors. The wood only looks good with black. Someday, maybe they'll change the wood trim to match the interior colors like their other vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails Getting wood trim on the performance pkg?-is_frontseats.jpg  
Old 10-18-05, 01:48 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

I was kind of cool to the wood as well, but the people I brought to look at the demo commented on how good it looks and I tended to agree with them. It's just another one of those taste issues is all. The more I look at the metal trim the more I think of the '06 Civic dash. It looks more plastic than aluminum to me.

I completely know what you are saying about not liking wood though. I had the exact same issue with my Tundra, but I got used to it. I have NO idea why I l ike it on the IS.
Old 10-18-05, 01:52 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
It's probably plastic that looks metallic. Whereas the wood is real, but looks plastic.
How does the painted plastic look compared to that in the RX330? Jusrt wondering. IMHO, the silver painted plastic in the RX330 and RX400H don't look too good. On the other hand, the real wood in the RX330 looks okay, but definately has that artificial look that you kind of hinted at. I guess when you put that much features into a car you have to sacrifice somewhere. Anyway, I'd still opt for the wood since I just don't like the look of the fake aluminum or even if it was real I still wouldn't get it. My ultimate IS350 would be the sports package with Nav/ML, wood, and illuminated door sills
Old 10-18-05, 01:57 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GonzoBuggs

That is my 2 cents.
I agree. That is exactly how I would build my car. The only thing from the performance package I really would have liked is the suspension. But it lacks too many of the luxury goodies I want. I'm the ype that would put on an aftermarket suepension anyway so the luxury package would be the bets choice.
Old 10-18-05, 01:59 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

I'm seriously curious as to how much different the suspension is between the two. If it still rides a little rough, then that's cool with me, but I don't really want the metal interior anymore... i'm kinda second-guessing that one