Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Official New IS Specifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-05, 03:42 PM
ID1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where the positioning of the ML speakers are? Its seems like a lot of speakers fo such a small car...
Old 08-31-05, 03:47 PM
runkelb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I hate wood! I'll swap you my wood in the Lux for your alu in the Sport! I already asked the dealer if they would do that for me.
TimbolS - What did the dealer say. Thanks.
Old 08-31-05, 03:57 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by ID1
Does anyone know where the positioning of the ML speakers are? Its seems like a lot of speakers fo such a small car...

Fullsize image: https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...nson_06_IS.jpg

Courtesy of: Lexus USA
Old 08-31-05, 04:19 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by runkelb
TimbolS - What did the dealer say. Thanks.
He just laughed. I'm sure they'd do it for a price. Not sure if I'm willing to pay that price. But I'm sure if you bought the factory parts, they could be replaced with some careful disassembly.
Old 08-31-05, 05:05 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol, that outline of that car looks like a 4dr older Mercedes SL

Good find though, thanks a lot. That's going to be one amazing system. If it's even half of what the GS's ML system is like, then it'll blow any other stock system out there away.
Old 08-31-05, 05:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by TheRupp
lol, that outline of that car looks like a 4dr older Mercedes SL
It's actually an old outline of the Gen 1 LS400.
Old 08-31-05, 07:34 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
It's actually an old outline of the Gen 1 LS400.
Now i see it.

Is the IS getting reverse-tilt exterior mirrors?
Old 08-31-05, 07:43 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

yes, from what I've read.
Old 08-31-05, 08:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Now i see it.

Yes it does tilt down. I believe it's going to be across the board standard on all Lexus models.
Old 09-01-05, 09:04 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it does tilt down. I believe it's going to be across the board standard on all Lexus models.
Actually, flip, Lexus goes cheap on this one. Many features that are usually considered (even by you) standard on all latest Lexus models are optional on the IS, an effort from Lexus to make the illusion that the base IS is competitvely priced when the base car won't even exist (can you imagine a Lexus without power seats nowadays?).

You'll have to shell out for a good chunk of money for the entire Luxury Plus Package (either Performance or Premium) to get that reverse tilt-down mirror function in the IS.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 09-01-05 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-01-05, 09:18 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Actually, flip, Lexus goes cheap on this one. Many features that are usually considered (even by you) standard on all latest Lexus models are optional on the IS, an effort from Lexus to make the illusion that the base IS is competitvely priced when the base car won't even exist (can you imagine a Lexus without power seats nowadays?).
The base car will exist, but there is no demand for the car so like the cloth version of the IS300 and also the cloth version of the New IS, you will maybe see one or two in your whole lifetime. The IS is competitvely priced across the board, not just with the base model...especially in comparison to a 325i or 330i. Look at the bigger picture...not just one model.
Old 09-01-05, 09:44 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

The base car will exist, but there is no demand for the car so like the cloth version of the IS300 and also the cloth version of the New IS, you will maybe see one or two in your whole lifetime. The IS is competitvely priced across the board, not just with the base model...especially in comparison to a 325i or 330i. Look at the bigger picture...not just one model.
Yes I do see the bigger picture. And guest what... the new IS is probably gonna be the first Lexus to NOT undercut BMW and Mercedes AT ALL in pricing, providing that the new IS does start from $30k as estimated.

The IS250, 325i and C230 (now with a 2.5L V6) all start from $30k. But if you compare the standard equipment of the three, the IS250 does not have ANYTHING but perhaps a 6-disc CD changer on the Germans. And get this: the base 325i has power tilt and telescopic steering wheel column standard, rain-sensing wipers standard, sunroof standard, and even dynamic cruise control standard!! Sounds like the 325i is the new value leader among the big three to me.

Lexus had better think again if they're gonna price the new IS from $30k. Let's face it. Lexus may be #1 in our eyes a long time ago, but to the majority of the people out there, it is still a tier-2 luxury brand for now.
Old 09-01-05, 10:07 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

How do you know? A fullly loaded IS350 will be in the low to mid $40k range. Find something comparable as far as options are concerned to the 330i and you're going to easily be above that.

Perhaps the New IS isn't for you? People are going to buy it regardless. Just wait for the pricing to come out before crying wolf. I can see all this waiting has got you anxious and over excited over nothing.
Of course I'm more interested in the IS350 because I think it's of a better value compared to the Germans (the powertrain alone justifies it ). But that I'm more interested in the IS350 doesn't prevent me from discussing about the base IS250 here in the 2IS forum does it?

I was talking about IS250 being under-equipped or overpriced (again, if it starts from $30k as widely estimated) compared to its German competitors. I'm just saying that those who choose to buy the base IS250 will end up with a car with less content than the base 325i. And I'm just a bit disappointed to see Lexus making so many features optional on the new IS.

EDIT: I see that you deleted the post that this post is replying to, but I'm keeping this post just to make my point clearer.
Old 09-01-05, 10:09 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

It's all speculative, but I kinda get Xero's point that the IS will probably be the first Lexus that won't dramatically undercut BMW and MB pricing.

If you look at the 5 vs. the GS and the 7 vs. the LS, there are considerable price differences there.

But, consider that the IS350 is the first Lexus to have dramatically more power than its European counterparts (330i and C350), so it kinda makes sense that the price gap should be narrower, at least with the IS350.
Old 09-01-05, 10:12 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Yes I do see the bigger picture. And guest what... the new IS is probably gonna be the first Lexus to NOT undercut BMW and Mercedes AT ALL in pricing, providing that the new IS does start from $30k as estimated.
How do you know? A fullly loaded IS350 will be in the low to mid $40k range. Find something comparable as far as options are concerned to the 330i and you're going to easily be above that.

Perhaps the New IS isn't for you? People are going to buy it regardless. Just wait for the pricing to come out before crying wolf. I can see all this waiting has got you anxious and over excited over nothing. Lexus is #1 in my eyes for other reasons that pricing since I see a bigger picture than what the car costs on the window sticker. A Lexus in my eyes is a better value overall in many aspects other than features...there are too many to list. Maybe the New IS isnt for you from what you're now saying. There's a BMW dealership waiting for you to pick up a New 3 series right now. No one said you had to buy the New IS. There are plenty of BMW facilities in the Bay Area...what are you waiting for?

Weatherford -Berkeley
BMW Concord
BMW San Francisco
Sonnen BMW (Marin)
East Bay BMW (Pleasanton)
Peter Pan BMW (San Mateo)
BMW Fremont
BMW Mountain View
Stevens Creek BMW

Quick Reply: Official New IS Specifications